Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting from a moving vehicle stage

We have a couple of military 5 ton troop carriers that we want to use in our matches. The plan is to have a shooter and RO in the back engaging poppers and knock down plates with a shotgun while the truck idles along at 5-10 mph. The shooter would be standing in a shooting box with his back against the cab shooting over the side of the truck as targets appeared. A UTV would follow at a safe distance resetting so as soon as one shooter is done we could load another and get started shooting.

Have any of ya'll done this before and if so what should we look out for?

While not an APC or anything, Rio Salado ran a roller coaster where the RO sat in the cart behind the shooter. They had PVC pipes on either side of the shooter to help define the 180. You could do seated or make sure that there is a way for the shooter to stand safely.

Young Carly Drake shooting the roller coaster in the 2006 Area 2 Desert Classic

Later,

Chuck

I have seen it done before. They had PVC pipes in the rear stake pockets of a pick up truck and drove about 150 yards, you used your shotgun and got as many steel and clays as you could while the truck was in motion. It is hard to make most vehicles run the exact same speed for everyone, a diesel in a low gear idling may be better.

Hurley

Purpose built platform that mounts to any class 3 receiver hitch. Shooter is seat belted so they can't fall off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZCN1Riw87o

2x4 uprights are used to limit the shooter for 180 purposes. Vehicle speed was 8 mph.

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

In the early days of the Ironman a pickup truck with armored cab over the drive did exactly the same thing that your suggesting = a fixed time stage. The shooter stood inside a waist high bucket in the back of the truck, RO behind the shooter, while the driver idled around the stage. The first time I shot it I thought is was a hoot. However that changed as my reloading skill level went up. The next year I was asking the driver to go faster because the idle speed wasn't fast enough. My suggestion would be to have too many targets if the driving speed is constant for each competitor. Ammo management and load become a big part of the equation.

Barrel traverse limit stakes are a must. It's to make it "exactly the same" for each shooter, so I wouldn't recommend it for a major (big prize table) match, but it's fun and worth doing.

I agree. But two words need added/emphasis.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to make it "exactly the same" for each shooter, so Don't EVER do it in a prize table match, but it's fun and worth doing at a club match.

They did it for one stage at the Walking Dead match last year, using a Gator-type ATV with a roll cage.

Shooter sat in the passenger seat, RO/scorer sat in the bed. To regulate the speed, they taped (or otherwise attached) a block of wood to the underside of the *thumb rest [generic]*, so if the driver "floored" it, it would always go the same speed, or something close to it.

I think there was a similar stage at TX MG back in 2010 or 2011. I wasn't there, but I recall seing video at some point in the past.

Edited to correct a weird macro error.

Edited by Langenator

• 2 weeks later...

*thumb rest [generic]*, so if the driver "floored" it, it would always go the same speed, or something close to it.

He's actually talking about a Ga$ Pedal... LOL come on BE

I even went back and corrected it, and it dorked it again. HAL...Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

i got to shoot from the UAV this year, and all I can say is every time i was half way through the trigger pull we hit a bump. oh well, it was super fun and I still pegged them. Things change from a moving platform so just focus on the front site and be ready to load from an awkward position.

I designed a stage where we did shotgun off the back of a moving truck a few months ago. Shooter sat on the tailgate , truck accelerated to 15mph which made it both fast and fun. We also scored it hit or miss we did move in a straight line at the same speed for each person. The driver was instructed to get up to speed by the time the front bumper crossed the first target.

First Person

Third Person View

5 pistol shots were from stationary truck to start, on 5th shot the driver accelerated to 15mph and held it until the stopping point. We also gave the shooters only one shot per target I think it was 8 shots in total. The RO sat in bed of truck behind shooter and it went over without any issues. We also made the shotgun + pistol portion untimed and then had a par time after the shooter got off the truck for a rifle portion. It worked out well. Since we had a small number of targets we had each shooter reset their own targets on the way back to the start point.