Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ virgin no more

rc51g

i got DQ'd on on stage 7, "the big square" at the NC sectional for breaking the 180. I saw others shoot it the day before and I studied it. but not well enough. actually watching the others shoot it set a pattern in my head that I could not shake. I even had a more experienced shooter ask if I wanted to know how he was going to shoot it and it only confused me more. I wasn't happy with my plan so I started cutting corners off and making it more efficient. initially I was going to reload going left to right across the back line (im right handed) but with the latest changes my reload would be done while moving uprange at a 45 degree angle. I did a standard reload without modifications to gun angle and got to go shopping earlier than I thought. I have 2 problems with all of this. 1. I thought a plan was OK that put me even close to breaking the 180. and 2. my mind was so inflexible to any changes in strategy. I tried and tried to come up with something better but my minds eye was locked. I can usually make some alterations but I was in the hole and running out of time. once on the road for a few miles, I saw the way it should be shot with no chance of breaking the 180.

I thanked the ROs for keeping me safe and doing their job an I have no hard feelings. overall I had a great time at the match with renewed enthusiasm and you could not have asked for better weather. the match organization was superb as usual.

thanks to all on my squad and all of the ROs and staff for working the match.

gary crouch

Gary,

That sucks for sure. Find the recent thread about changing your plan right before the buzzer. Even if it was not right before the buzzer you should have stuck with your plan once you had it in your head. This is a good example of what is the worst thing that can happen when you change your plan prior to the beep.

i got DQ'd on on stage 7, "the big square" at the NC sectional for breaking the 180. I saw others shoot it the day before and I studied it. but not well enough. actually watching the others shoot it set a pattern in my head that I could not shake. I even had a more experienced shooter ask if I wanted to know how he was going to shoot it and it only confused me more. I wasn't happy with my plan so I started cutting corners off and making it more efficient. initially I was going to reload going left to right across the back line (im right handed) but with the latest changes my reload would be done while moving uprange at a 45 degree angle. I did a standard reload without modifications to gun angle and got to go shopping earlier than I thought. I have 2 problems with all of this. 1. I thought a plan was OK that put me even close to breaking the 180. and 2. my mind was so inflexible to any changes in strategy. I tried and tried to come up with something better but my minds eye was locked. I can usually make some alterations but I was in the hole and running out of time. once on the road for a few miles, I saw the way it should be shot with no chance of breaking the 180.

I thanked the ROs for keeping me safe and doing their job an I have no hard feelings. overall I had a great time at the match with renewed enthusiasm and you could not have asked for better weather. the match organization was superb as usual.

thanks to all on my squad and all of the ROs and staff for working the match.

gary crouch

It happens to everyone, but its the way you handle it afterwards that really speaks volumes. It sounds like you handled it like a man...

I had 2 more stages to shoot, both of which I had shot before. on one I had the best HF for the day and the other the 2nd best. there were minor changes to the sectional stages but I felt very confident about them. maybe next time.

Knock on wood I haven't recieved one and hope I never do, but every time we ALL step on the range we are one movement or shot away from receiving one. Sounds like you took it like a man. I have seen folks get a DQ and act like a child. It's bad for everyone in your squad, yourself, and even the sport when that happens. Sorry for the DQ! Be safe out there!

EW

It has either happened, or it will. Use it as a lesson. Sorry it happened.

I still think this is untrue. People DQ because of their actions. Those actions are not ingrained in every shooter, and there is no reason to believe every USPSA shooter will DQ at some point in time.

I still think this is untrue. People DQ because of their actions. Those actions are not ingrained in every shooter, and there is no reason to believe every USPSA shooter will DQ at some point in time.

I agreed with Gary in the other thread, and I agree here...but not all DQ's are the result of something the shooter has done...Slam fire at make ready, etc....faulty equipment can cause a DQ as well...and many times, the shooter has no control over whether it happens or not..

I agreed with Gary in the other thread, and I agree here...but not all DQ's are the result of something the shooter has done...Slam fire at make ready, etc....faulty equipment can cause a DQ as well...and many times, the shooter has no control over whether it happens or not..

And I disagree with that statement. Faulty equipment doesn't just happen. Proper inspection, cleaning and maintenance are still the shooters responsibility. :sight:

And I disagree with that statement. Faulty equipment doesn't just happen. Proper inspection, cleaning and maintenance are still the shooters responsibility. :sight:
Are you saying that a gun can't break during a match and the shooter not know it until the next buzzer? Shooter fires last shot of the stage, at slide lock. Firing pin spring breaks on that shot and jams the firing pin forward. Shooters shows clear slide forward, hammer down. Next stage, inserts mag, racks slide and bang. Still the shooters fault cause he didn't go to the safe area and inspect his pistol between stages because there was nothing wrong? Sure, sounds far fetched...but tell me that a well maintained gun will never fail, and then prove it. Parts break, even new parts break...hence why most keep spare parts in their range bag.

im glad this is going so well. (sarcasm). I know you guys are reviewing every scenario. in this instance the gun wasn't the problem, it was my brain. but you guys have fun. im going to go :cheers:

Don't feel too bad. I DQ'ed on the very first stage at texas multigun for my pistol coming out of my holster.

Shooting three gun for one year and I have seen that happen twice, pretty scary as a RO. When a 2.5 lb triggered 2011 hits the ground rolling.

This is a thread drift concerning malfunctions, but GrumpyOne brings up a scenario that gets you DQ'd. If you pull the trigger and...nothing...then you may have enough time before a reshoot at the end of your squad to open it up and replace a broken part (I bring a bunch of the smaller things like pins and springs). But a slam fire gets you a coupon to Dairy Queen. Might as well repair that firing pin at home...