Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area Matches

Dirtychemist

I'm wondering how Area Matches work. I've only shot at my local club and at the end they give away primers for those finishing top in their class and top in their division. I'm wondering if Area matches are the same.

I'm NOW a C class Single Stack shooter but previously I won Single Stack (300 primers) and if I had more D shooters I could have won D class. Is it the same for Area matches or is it everyone against everyone else? I've considered going to some in the future and don't want to find out I'm going against A class shooters and trying to win something.

Area 2 gives plaques/medals or whatever for class and category winners. Prize table is by order of finish in your division.

Later,

Chuck

(This is when it is important to know the difference of class from division :lol: )

In the rule book it's pretty simple. C class production shoots against C class production for instance. There is also an over all winner.

The rule book also lays out how awards should be given... Not set in stone but most follow it.

Area and sectionals are a blast...go shoot one. :-)

It's pretty awesome to beat other people that don't practice enough to get better, but it wouldn't do you much good at Area 1. IIRC the prize table was all random draw and the division winners and class sandbaggers got plaques. I can sell you one cheap if you don't get one.

Seriously..... the whole point of shooting competition to me is to test yourself and improve. If you find yourself spending azzloads of money to travel to a match so you can win some primers, or whatever..... then I guess that would make me scratch my head a little bit.

I'm only a B-class shooter (as of this week, woot woot), but I am shooting against everyone of every class in my division. From month to month I hope to continue improving my percentage of the top GM's scores. As long as I'm improving, I'm happy to buy my own primers.

Shooting a area match is so much fun, if you win a plaque, great, but the new people you meet, PRICELESS...some, you may only see once a year, at a sectional, area or nationals. I know shooters that won't go to a area match, and say their not good enough, & I explain that a C limited ONLY shoot against C limited, but you may shoot WITH a GM limited. Shoot, have fun, learn. If you have a chance to go to national's, GO!!!!!!!! You will have the time of your life.

Okay I'm glad it's setup to be how I was thinking. I just broke into C class and I need to practice some more. I only started USPSA this year and I'd need to get my gear "better" (magazines that function 100%, 100% of the time) and get a little more precise. I'm looking forward to doing something in California in the future and seeing how many other people are out there doing this. It's the same reason I run, to see how I compare to myself over time.

An area match, to me is just like a regular match, but with different competitors than the usual suspects at local matches. You may be the hot dog locally, but when you get to area matches, you may get b**ch slapped.

I have found that the prize table is usually reletive to the entry fee. Area 2 has a great prize table, but the fee is $250 IIRC. Smaller section matches and such usually don't have much of a prize table.

just do it and have fun. if you come back with a prize or trophy, its just icing on the cake.

Area matches will have more stages and many of those stages will be more elaborate than what you typically find at a local match. You'll also have mostly experienced shooters and ROs that expect you to know what the heck you're doing out there. Don't worry about who you're shooting against. Just work on getting better and having fun.

Okay I'm glad it's setup to be how I was thinking. I just broke into C class and I need to practice some more. I only started USPSA this year and I'd need to get my gear "better" (magazines that function 100%, 100% of the time) and get a little more precise. I'm looking forward to doing something in California in the future and seeing how many other people are out there doing this. It's the same reason I run, to see how I compare to myself over time.

One thing I forgot to mention, I also am a fairly new shooter (started last year), and I think bigger matches, especially multi-day matches like many area matches and like nationals, are a way to accelerate your learning curve. Don't put it off because you think you're not ready yet. Make it your goal to shoot your classification percentage, and watch what people better than (and worse than you) are doing. If it's a half-day format, where you shoot 6 or stages each day, spend at least a couple hours of the other half watching other shooters. For sure, watch the super-squad a bit if you can, but also watch some solid B, A, and M shooters. You might even consider talking to other competitors that are scouting the stages at the same time (probably not a great idea to talk to/distract the squads that are actually running the stage).

The combination of very good shooters, lots of carefully designed stages, and multiple days of competition will really crank up your focus level. The amount you can learn at a big match is way more important than a plaque or some primers or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I forgot to mention, I also am a fairly new shooter (started last year), and I think bigger matches, especially multi-day matches like many area matches and like nationals, are a way to accelerate your learning curve. Don't put it off because you think you're not ready yet. Make it your goal to shoot your classification percentage, and watch what people better than (and worse than you) are doing. If it's a half-day format, where you shoot 6 or stages each day, spend at least a couple hours of the other half watching other shooters. For sure, watch the super-squad a bit if you can, but also watch some solid B, A, and M shooters. You might even consider talking to other competitors that are scouting the stages at the same time (probably not a great idea to talk to/distract the squads that are actually running the stage).

The combination of very good shooters, lots of carefully designed stages, and multiple days of competition will really crank up your focus level. The amount you can learn at a big match is way more important than a plaque or some primers or whatever.

Would have never thought to watch others or talk to people.

Go to YouTube and search USPSA Nationals super squad or USPSA area # and spend and hour or two watching the videos posted.

You can learn a ton from watching other shooters, also video your own match stuff and that of the higher class guys at your local matches and then watch and compare, you will find huge areas to improve on