Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P14 or P18 mags in P16?

SSGJohnV

Hello All,

I was looking online for original made in Canada P16-40 mags so I could have some spares for competition and it occurred to me. Can I use or convert P14-45 or P18-9 mags to work in a 1999 Para Limited P16-40?

I imagine the P18 mags would be a better bet but I don't know for sure. I know I can get a converted mag catch to use STI mags, but 20-21 rounds reloadable with DP base pads sounds pretty enticing. Any thoughts?

I tried to convert a P14 (45 cal) mag to run 40 and failed miserably. I was able to get the feed lips correct by cutting and welding up the body but the hardwood I used to narrow the inside of the mag failed miserably.

P18 mags are a better idea but I have no direct experience. I am also not sure that the availabililty is any better nor what kind of capacity you will get in the end.

For reliability and availability I recommend going straight to the STI mags with the modified catch. It is a little more expensive but you will end up with the capacitiy you are looking for and the reliability that is required to compete.

Retread.

Very likely no. It would take too much work, plus the canadian P-16 mags are not of the highest quality. Per Mr. Tomasie, the P-16 hi cap mags are in the process of being redesigned (I don't when it will be complete). They don't plan on making a 10-round P-16 mag the last time I heard.

I called Para yesterday asking about the redesigned mags and they had no clue, except to say they were "in testing" at the moment. I was asking because I saw several original Canadian P18 mags for sale on the web, but almost no P16 mags.

I will buy the modded catch eventually, but I already have 4 original Para mags set up, so then I would have to mod them as well if I don't want to just throw away the investment/utility of them.

I'm going to give an STI mag a shot this weekend, borrowed from a buddy. I only plan on shooting limited or L10 with this gun, so no real need to buy a 170mm tube.

Thanks for the fast replies, gents. I appreciate it.

If you don't mind losing one round, Mecgar magazines work fine. The modified catch was about $30 from Rich at Canyon Creek. You can always sell your Para magazines, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes :)

Sorry, I should have mentioned the main reason I don't want to use the Mec-Gar magazines is that the tubes are too short to use with an extended basepad in a mag funnel. So, combination of capacity and usefulness for USPSA Limited.

I found a good deal on some triple K mags (I know, I don't expect much) and I'm going to see if I can at least use the tubes for some backup mags with Arredondo or DP base pads.

Thanks again for the input.

I have used a couple p-14 mags in my p-16 before and they ran fine. The mags were some salt shakers because P-14 mags do not have the ribs on the side of the mag for correct spacing. I don't know why someone above said para Canadian mags aren't quality, I've been using them for years and have dropped them and stepped on them in competition with no damage. Are you shooting limited division? If so then 4 mags should be plenty. I run Canadian Para tubes,trimmed factory followers and ismi Para mag springs with DP base pads. You can find more old Canadian Para mags out there, just be patient. Some always turn up here on the classifieds.

I called Para yesterday asking about the redesigned mags and they had no clue, except to say they were "in testing" at the moment. I was asking because I saw several original Canadian P18 mags for sale on the web, but almost no P16 mags.

I will buy the modded catch eventually, but I already have 4 original Para mags set up, so then I would have to mod them as well if I don't want to just throw away the investment/utility of them.

I'm going to give an STI mag a shot this weekend, borrowed from a buddy. I only plan on shooting limited or L10 with this gun, so no real need to buy a 170mm tube.

Just curious, the P18 mags you saw, were they 9mm or 38 supers? I bought some mags from CDNN that were advertised as 9/38 mags and they were useless. Evidently, the rib is not long enough on them.

Just curious, the P18 mags you saw, were they 9mm or 38 supers? I bought some mags from CDNN that were advertised as 9/38 mags and they were useless. Evidently, the rib is not long enough on them.

I also bought some of that mags for my 9 and had my gunsmith increased the slot..and now it work just like my original p18 mags...ill take canadian made mags anytime...they work great...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised the only feedback is from someone who tried to convert p14 to p16 as opposed to p18 to p16. I was considering buying the p18 mags they had on sale at CDNN and doing this same conversion, but then moved where only 10 round mags are allowed. Narrowing the feed lips appropriately would be quite difficult, but I think the p18 mags would be relatively easy to plier out and make function correctly. No one has tried this?

STI 140's and 170's work fine with an STI mag release. The outside of the feed lips may have to be polished down a bit to drop free. Other than that no worries. The technology has already been figured out for those mags.

Do you use the whole STI magazine or just the magazine tube with para spring, base plate and followers?

• 1 month later...