Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Filling primer tubes

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give me a bit more info on what you did to get this working? I have a old Lee hand primer that I broke the handle on. Sure would like to it to good use.

Here's a link to a post on doing the initial work. I just glued on a cell phone vibrator instead of using the vibration from the tumbler. The cell phone motor can be gotten cheaply at Radio Shack. Let me know if you want more info.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99719

Edited by Youngeyes

I reached the limit of my patience this weekend with the vp. It is taking me longer to do Win small primers than by hand and it apparently has flipped some of the primers upside down (I have lots of Winchester since its the softest I can get in the absence of Federal.). I tried modifying the holes (to the point of possibly breaking it for other primers) and using case lube. All to no avail. Unless someone has found a Winchester modification for vp, its time to: a) give up and do it by hand or B) swallow hard and dump $200-$400 into a pal-filler or RF100.

I really wanted to by the blue solution but the price for large + small primers was double the pal-filler. I finally took the leap and ordered the pal-filler through redtipbullet. I'll let you know my experience...

Got my pal-filler today, just a few days after ordering it. I ran out to the shop and shoved in 2 AA batteries that we're laying there and proceeded to load win sm primers. I was underwhelmed with the small vibration BUT then I replaced the (nearly dead) batteries with a fresh set and VOILA! This thing is awesome! I ran 200 sm win primers through it quickly without a hitch!! I couldn't get more than 20 of these sm win through my vp at a time before messing with it. This is simply incredible!!

Got my pal-filler today, just a few days after ordering it. I ran out to the shop and shoved in 2 AA batteries that we're laying there and proceeded to load win sm primers. I was underwhelmed with the small vibration BUT then I replaced the (nearly dead) batteries with a fresh set and VOILA! This thing is awesome! I ran 200 sm win primers through it quickly without a hitch!! I couldn't get more than 20 of these sm win through my vp at a time before messing with it. This is simply incredible!!

I love mine as well. Really a fine piece of craftsmanship. Expensive but very much worth it.

My VP is getting on my last nerve. Looked for the Pal filler. Not in stock at Everglades. Is there any other place that sells them?

Ordered mine at redtipbullet.com for a delivered price of just under $200 US.

Just ordered a Pal, tired of messing with the RF-100.

What was the problem with RF-100? I can see people stepping up to the pal-filler from vp but I was assuming the RF-100 would be the ultimate. Maybe not...?

It's the ultimate price but not reliable.

Wow, in that case, I'm even happier I chose to go this route. I made the decision on pal-filler vs RF-100 based strictly on price (thinking that both were overpriced in the first place!).

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of mine from Italy and the other Canada, but one of the guys I load with said he saw it on ebay and I think gunbroker too. I think we will start seeing more of them in the US in the next year or so. I love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything...well almost..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is what I did to mine.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191183&p=2115072

I did find the original tube that came with the VP easily separates from the black adapter, and when the filler tube is inserted into the black adapter there enough resistance to keep it secure. This works quite nicely.

That is what I did with mine from the beginning, I didn't both with tape or some other method, I just used the black adapter with standard aluminum tubes I cut up from stock at Mcmaster Carr.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191183&p=2115231

I have 12 extra tubes now which easily slide into the adapter which remains in my FA primer filler and the tolerances are good enough that the tube stays in the adapter until I pull it out.

RDA, I think it was your post that convinced me to remove the original tube and just insert the filler tubes into the black adapter.

I owe you an adult beverage. :cheers:

RDA, I think it was your post that convinced me to remove the original tube and just insert the filler tubes into the black adapter.

I owe you an adult beverage. :cheers:

You are welcome and that would be great. :bow:

I really like my FA primer filler, with the mod for the filler and the mod I made to the tray so I can remove and reinstall the tray without removing the black adapter, I am really pleased with it, it works great with CCI primers (my primary usage). I had a little trouble with Winchester and Tula, they don't flow quite as easily into the tube but it still works, they just occasionally can get hung up at the drop hole. Still worlds better than hunting and pecking.