Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anthony Bourdain on guns and green chile

benos

"You, however, I’m not so sure about. And my next door neighbor. I’m not so sure about him either. I’d like to know a bit more about him before he takes possession of an M-16 and a whole lot of extra clips. If we accept the proposition that that a gun is simply a tool—with potentially lethal properties—it follows that it’s not too different than a vehicle. And I would like to know a LOT more about you before I’m comfortable putting you behind the wheel of a sixteen wheeler. I’d like to know if you’re a maniacal drunk or crackhead before allowing you to barrel down that highway with three tons of trailer swinging behind you. If you favor an aluminum foil hat as headgear, I would have concerns about entrusting you with so much power to harm so many in so little time. That’s a reasonable thing for a society to ponder on, I think."

He is not a numbers or terminology guy apparently. A sixteen wheeler with a 3 ton trailer. That's not even a big amateur race trailer setup. Try an 18-wheeler with about a 30 ton trailer - lots more of those rolling around...

Don't forget the M-16 and lots of 'clips'...

I’ll be damned,..someone from the other side I could probably get along with…

"The contempt, mockery and total lack of understanding for all those people “out there” by deep thinkers and pundits who’ve never sat down for a cold beer in a bar full of camo-wearing duck hunters is both despicable and counterproductive. We are too busy expressing disbelief at the ways others have chosen to live to ever really talk about the nuts and bolts of making America safer and less violent."

I wish his logic was contagious!

+1

Good read

"There are a lot of nice people in this country. A whole helluva lot of them, like it or not, own AR-15s. If we can’t have at least, a conversation with them, sit down, break bread— about where we are going and how we are going to get there, there is no hope at all."

I'd prefer that it's not an us vs. them mentality as he states "a conversation with them".

Unfortunately that's the mindset of the people involved in gun debates. Our "great" political leaders also set the tone for their constituents, which is a problem as most if them can't think for themselves.