Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 in 40 S&W

Browning40

I'm thinking of getting a 1911 in 40 to keep reloading simple. I currently load for my 2011.

Any thoughts on the 40 S&W compared to 45?

I'm thinking of going to a 200 grain bullet to lighten the recoil. The difference is about 100 ft/sec compared to the 45.

The 200's in 40 that I have tried felt a little sluggish and to be honest I thought a little clunky feeling, my favorite load is a 180gr moly with WST.as it feels quick but very controllable.

I'm thinking of getting a 1911 in 40 to keep reloading simple. I currently load for my 2011.

I'm thinking of going to a 200 grain bullet to lighten the recoil. The difference is about 100 ft/sec compared to the 45.

Don't know what your budget is, but be prepared to tweak whichever gun you decide to go with, my Trojan w/ the factory barrel needed some throating work, the egw raised mag release and loading at 1.185 to get it running 95% still chasing gremlins every once in a while (adjusting mag feed lips to be consistent is where I'm at Now)

I would look for a used/reliable or just go custom.

Who makes a full sized (5" barrel) 1911 in .40 S&W? I couldn't find a mainstream (reasonably priced) one, the last time I looked.

Also, you may have to use 10mm magazines and load long for it to function flawlessly in a 1911.

PS: Dlfleetw posted while I was typing. Looks like the STI Trojan is one I missed.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

There are a lot of Springfield Loaded .40s floating around. I picked one up on here in trade for my production GLOCK 34 setup. All I had to do was throat the barrel and I can load out to 1.2 and get magazines. From my research the mags are what tends to hang up 1911s in .40 the most. I went with the Tripp Corey/system mags and the gun runs 100%.the mags are spendy $40 plus each still for what it's worth IMO it was worth the extra dough.

There are a lot of Springfield Loaded .40s floating around...

Were these discontinued? I couldn't find them on SA's website. Thanks for the magazine info.

They don't make them anymore. The custom shop will make you whatever you want, but your definition of "reasonably priced" better be pretty loose. I hunted around for a loaded 40 for awhile and posted WTB ads around the web a few years back and never got a bite.

I had an older loaded Springer in .40, and it would eat "long" loads, from my limited gun, with 10mm mags, and standard length, with regular .40 mags, but, I didn't think it was accurate enough for ME. I bought a new "tuned" Trojan, and loved the accuracy, but, it wouldn't run 100%. I was going to send it to Tripp, but, STI made it right, and I like it so much that I bought a second one.

The newer ones have a slightly different feedramp and run 100%. at least mine does. :cheers:

I have only shot 150, 165 and 180 gr. bullets through my Dan Wesson Pointman, STI Trojan and PO16-40. The PO16-40 has been very reliable. The single stack STI Trojan has been a bit more fussy with respect to load and OAL. In terms of recoil sensation the 40's seem more like 9mm than 45 in my hands. My Dan Wesson Pointman in 40 S&W is not as fussy with ammo or magazines.

Edited by TonyT

Thanks everyone! The plan is to have one built. Glad I asked! Seems 200's are not the way to go. Works for me!

I use the same load for my SS Major (Also shoot same for IDPA ESP), L-10 Major, and 2011 Limited Major. Berry Plated 155gr HBRN, 5.0 gr. Titegroup, Small magnum or small rifle primer, OAL 1.135. Mags, for SS I use stainless Mec-Gar 8 rounders, they work flawlessly. For L-10 I use stainless Chip McCormick 10 rounders (work flawlessly). For IDPA use Tripp 10mm, 9 round (work flawlessly). I only use round nose bullets, no feed problems. Limited 2011 40 Major use Brazo tuned mags (no problems yet). The 155gr. loads are a little snappy but you get use to them. Basically, I use the same load for everything I shoot 40 S&W. Makes loading easy. Could also try a MG 165gr. HP. I will only use round nose bullets, no feeding problems. My SS has a no ramp barrel. MY 2011 has a ramped barrel.

Edited by 40S&W

I have been shooting a Trojan 40 in SS for a while now. I installed a lower lb recoil spring, use 185 gr moly bullets and use Wilson 47d mags. I know the 47d is for 45, but they have work great for 40 as well and I have not had any issues ( knock on wood). I think my Trojan 40 is a pistol I'll keep for a long while.