Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Hypothetical" Question

My father passed away recently. Tucked away in his things was a very shitty old single shot Savage. He was a great woodworker and made nice pistol and fore grips. He had also cut the barrel down to nothing rendering it illegal. How would one go about getting rid of a gun in this condition safely?

Remove the bbl. it will no longer be an ilegal firearm. Throw away the bbl. Dispose of the rest of it how you see fit. If one was concerned of the reciever bieng a danger it could be chopped up or sledge hamered. Hypotheticaly speeking. ?

Here is my story - I had inherited a beat to hell sawed off 16 gauge single shot (among some other non-firearm items) from a family member. It was probably hacked up around WWII and rode in the family farm trucks and tractors as a utility tool for a few decades. When I got it I called the local sheriff’s office in Brevard and explained what I had and that I wanted to legally get rid of it. They were very helpful and told me that there was buy-back program that was scheduled for in Cocoa and it could be turned in there with no questions asked.

I did, no questions were asked, and even got a $50 walmart cart.

A buddy of mine had a similar experience but with a double barrel, he removed the barrels and took the receiver to a welding shop had the firing pin holes welded over and the lever to break it open welded, no longer a viable weapon. (cost him $15 but he knew no one would ever use it again)

If they don't have a buy back local PD should be willing to take it. Our local PD destroys guns by having the maintenance guys cut them up on a chop saw.

What Sarge said. We take in all kinds of guns in that have been modified. Most of the time ATF does not want to get involved. Particularly when we don't have a suspect under arrest and all wrapped up and under arrest. Our Property/Evidence guys then take them to a scrap yard that has this wicked hydraulic shear. Man this thing could cut through the bumper of a 55 Buick. They make a video of each gun, including the serial number as it is cut. the DVD is kept on file.

Step 1 is get that barrel away from the receiver. Stick the barrel in a relative's garage and the receiver in your bedroom closet (or something similar).

Does anyone make a slip on breaching tool that could be permanently attached to extend the barrel length to a legal 18"? With the pistol grip, you will need to lengthen the barrel enough that the whole gun is at least 26" in length. Replace the pistol grip with a wood stock, an 18" barrel may be long enough to make it legal.

If you just want to get rid of it, pound the barrel flat with a sledge hammer. Disassemble everything else into individual parts and dispose of them. In a separate trash pickup, dispose of the receiver. For good measure, beat on the receiver with the sledge hammer too.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Again... why destroy the receiver unless you just really want to get rid of it? Get rid of the "messed up" barrel, and buy a new full length one. I looked (at the Model 940) and Numrich sells them without FFL, so the barrel is not the "firearm" part.

Unless I am missing something legally important, which has been known to happen....

I had thought about buying a barrel for it but had no luck finding one. I thought it was a Savage without really looking at it, but its a 20ga Revelation. Don't know much about them...I think I remember they were sold at auto parts stores??? I don't think its something worth hanging on to. No buybacks in my area anytime soon. I'll just disassemble and throw away parts here and there to be safe. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by meatsauce

Revelation was the "in store" brand for Western Auto back in the 60's and early 70's. These were made by various companies and roll marked with the Revelation name. If memory serves me, the Revelation pump shotguns were manufactured by Mossberg, the .22 revolvers were manufactured by Hi Standard.

Most likely your shotgun was manufactured by Savage or Stevens.

In decent condition, its probably worth $125. Replacing the barrel and buttstock may eat up most of that.

If dead set in getting rid of it, please consider offering individual parts to members of the forum. I have a few old guns that I just cannot find the parts to get them back into running condition. There may be someone out there that lacks a little something to get an old wall hanger with great sentimental value back into shooting condition.

Bill

p.s. A picture of the receiver may help identify what you have.

Edited by Flatland Shooter