Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated vs. Jacketed .40 pros/cons?

Noximus03

Before I get hammered with replies to use the search function, I did and came up with more posts that asked more questions than answered.

So, here it is. I'll be getting my 1st 2011 Lim gun end of this week, and I will also start loading .40 major for the 1st time. I've ordered all of the parts I need, and now I'm ordering bullets. I've been loading 9 major and minor and understand the pros and cons of the above. What I dont know is that in .40.....do either make a real difference? My thoughts are NO since im not going to shoot a 180gr at 9mm major FPS, but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone weigh in and share your thoughts/experiences? It'd be a great help. Thanks.

With a Pistol Gear barrel and Springer Precision comp, my 4.5" XDm will hold a tighter group with Montana Gold's, as opposed to Berry's plated bullets, of the same weight. I'm talking 1.5" ~ 2" larger group, with the plated bullets, at 35 yards.

Now, I am not a great shot. At 35 yards, I can score 8 alphas out of 10 shots, on an average day.

Another point of view.

Jacketed bullets need more powder for the same velocity.

More powder means more recoil, which takes you more time to get back on target.

More velocity and the harder bullet will stress your barrel / pistol more and normally shorten their life time.

And, jacketed bullets are normally more expensive - connected to more powder - they make your round more pricey.

If I can get the same accuracy and function, I always would go with a plated or coated bullet instead of a jacketed one.

It really depends on your barrel. I shoot Infinitys with AET barrels. My 6" Limited gun will shoot jacketed or plated just about the same. My 5" Single Stack wouldn't shoot a 12" group with plated.

This^. Jacketed, Moly, Plated... all work fine in my guns, have seen others with problems though.

Thanks guys, makes a lot of sense. If I'm not mistaken, the barrel is a stock STI. I'll 3 types of bullets (Xtreme, Berry's, MG all 180gr) to test out with my planned powders (Titegroup, and 7625) and I guess we'll just have to see. Thanks for the replies.

Another point of view.

More velocity and the harder bullet will stress your barrel / pistol more and normally shorten their life time.

And, jacketed bullets are normally more expensive - connected to more powder - they make your round more pricey.

If I can get the same accuracy and function, I always would go with a plated or coated bullet instead of a jacketed one.

Recoil is a result of the equal and opposite reaction of force (gasses) moving the bullet out of the barrel in conjunction with the force of the slide mass moving to the rear. I would argue that using the same gun, if 5.4 grains of N320 pushed a 180 grain jacketed bullet to 950 fps, it would feel the same as a load using 5.0 grains of N320 to push a 180 grain plated bullet to 950 fps.

I like titegroup and rainiers. Same accuracy as the montana golds

I love Rainiers......I dont love that I have none and cant get any........

Cabelas has a bunch from time to time, but its cheaper to get montana golds by the case. I love the rainiers 180gr on top of 5.0 gr of bullseye.

Another point of view.

Recoil is a result of the equal and opposite reaction of force (gasses) moving the bullet out of the barrel in conjunction with the force of the slide mass moving to the rear. I would argue that using the same gun, if 5.4 grains of N320 pushed a 180 grain jacketed bullet to 950 fps, it would feel the same as a load using 5.0 grains of N320 to push a 180 grain plated bullet to 950 fps.

Well, yes, I think you are mostly right, it will feel pretty close / the same.

But to show an extreme example, use a heavy bullet with a fast powder (with care!)

And you will get the idea.

I have read an article from Hornady anywhere in the net, where they explained the relation between less or more powder and recoil.

They said, that when the bullet has left the barrel, the gas keeps on to blow out of the barrel, hitting the bullet´s back and the air surrounded.

This does cause a "rocket" - effect, the expanding gas accelerates the gun back to the shooter.

Like Hornady also said, the more powder you use, the more gas will arise, the more recoil you will have.

Maybe someone can find this article.

Another point of view.

Whoa, you must have a wholesale source for you plated bullets! I can buy Montana Gold bullets for less any day, every day.

Any body have issue with bayou billets new coating in a glock barrel, I hear as long as you don't shave any coating off in the seating process, they are good to go???

I've been using Bayou and BBI bullets in stock Glock barrels (also STI and LWD) without any issues. I've been using WST and Clays powder behind them (until I can find some N320 or S1K).

Hornady´s Statement:

"Recoil discussion

Recoil is a complicated discussion that has parts to it that are not commonly understood.
The fundamental misunderstanding of recoil is that the recoil is over when the bullet
leaves the barrel. In truth, the vast majority of recoil occurs after the projectile exits the
barrel. By far the greatest percentage of recoil is produced by the force of the gases and
propellant residue/ejecta leaving the barrel. Consider for a moment what is really
happening, the mass that existed in the solid propellant before the round was fired
doesn’t disappear, it is converted into another form of matter, gas. This gas, although you
may not be able to see it or touch it, still has mass and energy. The real contribution to
recoil from this gas comes from the fact that it is leaving the barrel at velocities on the
order of 8,000 – 10,000 fps. The energy in these high velocity gases is what produces the
lion’s share of recoil. It’s easier to picture what is happening if you think of the muzzle as
a rocket nozzle. If the amount of gas, gas pressure, and gas velocity, of these exiting
gases can be reduced this will reduce the force exerted on the gun by the gases and
reduce recoil. ..."

Whoa, you must have a wholesale source for you plated bullets! I can buy Montana Gold bullets for less any day, every day.

Sir, I don´t know "Montana Gold".

Is it a cheap jacketed bullet?

If so, I do understand what you say, but don´t know why.

Where is the problem?

:)

Sir, I don´t know "Montana Gold".

Is it a cheap jacketed bullet?

If so, I do understand what you say, but don´t know why.

Where is the problem?

:)

http://montanagoldbullet.com

Check out their prices per case. They also include shipping.