Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primer feed problem and fix. Check out this video

Ok I know Iam beating a dead horse but here goes. What causes the primer feed to stick. Making the primer slide jump and toss the primer out or sit on its side. In the past I just take apart and clean with fine steel wool problem solved. Not working this time. Any ideas?

Edited by Canman

Go by the lock dept. of any hardware store or Wal-Mart and pick up some powdered Graphite. Use it as a lube just a fine dusting will work. My machine is over twenty five years old and this trick has worked great. I also use just a little on the powder bars.

I'm curious what Dillon's take is on this. I've only had my RL550 about 5 years, and have already had a primer slide, bearing plate, and the primer housing replaced due to wear causing the slide to get loose in the housing, resulting in unreliable travel of the slide which ultimately caused unreliable primer feeding.

• 1 month later...

Canman...couple of questions for you. First, how's the replacement track bearing doing?

What sort of lube are you using on the bearing? Dry graphite? Grease? Oil?

Your primer slide in the video looks heavily polished in the top portion that rides through the primer housing. Did you polish it, or is that just wear from the housing?

I'm going to see if a friend can help me make one similar to yours. My existing bearings are:

used: 0.055"

new: 0.057"

According to some googling, 16GA standard steel is 0.0598" thick. Because the track bearing sits between the press and the primer housing / primer slide, if you go just a bit thicker, it's not a problem...the slide and housing just sit a tiny bit higher...and since the cup on the primer slide is what limits the downward travel of the ram, if you can't find an exact thickness match for the original track bearing it's better/safer to go slightly thicker than thinner?

Is yours standard steel? You'd think a measurement like gauge would be a constant, but apparently it means different thicknesses for different metals. Galvanized and stainless steels are thicker, and for these, 17GA would be closer to correct.

The bearing I just swapped out looked exactly like yours (down to the shiny wear marks on the front), and appears to be just slightly warped, which I'm told happens over time. Did you do anything in particular to ensure flatness of your replacement bearing?

All I got to say is WOW. I no longer have my 550, but I did wear out 2 of those plates over the years (and of course dillon replaced them), But it ended up causing me a bunch of mis-fed primers over the years. I always looked at that plate and said this is worn but Dillon would always give me a new set of parts, and then my machine ran good. I hope you patented this idea. Not to screw Dillon, but they should of thought about if first. But there may be other issues like the hardness of the metal and the cost to make it hard enough. This could negate this idea.

In lieu of a patent, How about a Dillon Engineering Award for innovation ! It comes with a complete Dillon press of your choice for a great idea.

Now I will be the first to say - If it doesn't work for 5,000 rounds (and Dillon would need to test this), its not a good idea, but if it does, he deserves it.

JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

My primer bar was getting a little sticky so I broke it down. This is what I discovered. I slid the bar back and forth in the housing and even after cleaning it was grabbing . On the inside of the housing I ran a file along the length that the bar rides on and found high spots right where the Allen head screws attach it to the base. Evidently when tightening these screws it squishes the aluminum a little. I never thought I cranked that hard so maybe the metal is real soft. I filed just enough on both sides to take the high spots down and its sliding like perfect. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem with the primer housing developing high spots next to the screws. I had dillon send a new primer housing in the past, and I made sure not to tighten the screws more than needed. My primer bars had a black coating and most of it wore off. I bought the press used. I finally sent the press in to be rebuilt. It works great now. They changed the entire priming system and bars. They also replaced the old powder thrower that I sent in. I am happy that the press works well, but I am wondering how long the new priming system will last. Maybe the housing should be steel so that it doesn't deform where the screws thread in. I didn't watch the video yet, but the extended bearing might help. I shouldn't have waited so long to contact dillon about the priming problem, but it just got slowly worse until it didn't work at all. My press had some slop in the linkage and I had already replaced a couple parts myself, so it was time for Dillon to work their magic.

I keep mine clean and haven't had an issue in over 20K rounds loaded.

Do you decap on another press? The way the 550 works, keeping the primer slide bearing clean is pretty much impossible unless you stop to clean it every time you refill the primer magazine...and even then, it wouldn't have been totally clean between cleanings. It's the one thing that has me wondering from time to time if I should have gone 650 instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a new bearing plate as shown in the above video last night.

Even with the new plate, my primer slide still fails to come all the way back to pickup a new primer.

I have to bump the side of the slide at the top of the press stroke to get the primer slide to come back and pickup a primer.

It appears that the primer housing has to much slop, and the slide is binding to the left.

I've emailed Dillon asking for a new housing and slide.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with the new plate, my primer slide still fails to come all the way back to pickup a new primer.

I have to bump the side of the slide at the top of the press stroke to get the primer slide to come back and pickup a primer.

It appears that the primer housing has to much slop, and the slide is binding to the left.

This is exactly what I think is wrong with mine. Guy today said it can't be and told me it was just the rod and was going to send me a new one. But the slop in the housing is worse from what it originally was.

This is exactly what I think is wrong with mine. Guy today said it can't be and told me it was just the rod and was going to send me a new one. But the slop in the housing is worse from what it originally was.

They sent me instructions on how to fix a Square deal B and said the housing couldn't be the problem. I replied to their email and told them I have a 550B not a Square deal B and the primer housing is worn and sloppy. New parts arrived a week later.(primer housing and shield tube, large and small primer slides)

Keep after them and they will send you the parts.

They sent me instructions on how to fix a Square deal B and said the housing couldn't be the problem. I replied to their email and told them I have a 550B not a Square deal B and the primer housing is worn and sloppy. New parts arrived a week later.(primer housing and shield tube, large and small primer slides)

How old is your press?

They sent me a rod Said mine was possibly bent. I guess I'll have to call back and see if they'll send me a new unit. I noticed there is some slop in mine and plate is a little worn out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I kind of wonder if the problem with presses where the primer cup is binding against the housing isn't the housing but that the cup on the primer slide has come loose and is slightly canted. It can be a real PITA to properly reseat...but the easiest way seems to be to loosen the set screw, put it together, turn the shell plate half way between stations, and use the press to compress the primer cup onto the slide. Then tighten the set screw.

Edited by njl

• 2 weeks later...

How old is your press?

They sent me a rod Said mine was possibly bent. I guess I'll have to call back and see if they'll send me a new unit. I noticed there is some slop in mine and plate is a little worn out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rod wasn't it. Guess it either has to be housing or bearing plate causing issue. Tried different primer slide but same problem.