Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper thickness moons for Starline brass

practical_man

What is the proper thickness moon clip for Starline 38 Special brass?

Revo is a 627

I have a bunch of Ranch moons for my 627. They work ok with Win brass but I have far more Starline brass. The Ranch clips are too thin to work well with Starline.

So it's about time to pay the piper and get the proper moons.

Thanks for your thoughts.

However, an issue could possibly arise.

I ordered a couple thousand Starline .38 Short Colt and Hearthco clips for said Starline brass.

The brass was new production (after being back ordered for some time as most components have been!), I received the brass in June.

Lo and behold, many pieces of the brass simply would NOT go into the new moon clips designed for Starline brass.

Apparently, the new production Starline brass had a slightly larger dimension in the rim.

Mr Hearth, being the great gentleman that he is, graciously swapped me for the proper size clips.

However, an issue could possibly arise.

I ordered a couple thousand Starline .38 Short Colt and Hearthco clips for said Starline brass.

The brass was new production (after being back ordered for some time as most components have been!), I received the brass in June.

Lo and behold, many pieces of the brass simply would NOT go into the new moon clips designed for Starline brass.

Apparently, the new production Starline brass had a slightly larger dimension in the rim.

Mr Hearth, being the great gentleman that he is, graciously swapped me for the proper size clips.

The new blue steel sample I just got from Dave mike's out to .0245 on my calipers.

It is perfect with starline 38 LC brass. My brass was from an early 2013 delivery though.

I'll throw this out here too,

revolver supply company recently came out with a new 0.25 clip, they are stamped and pretty cheap compared to the hearthco edm cut ones. They actually work pretty well , not as perfect as the hearthco ones, but absolutely workable for local matches and practice.

http://www.revolversupply.com/documents/moon_clips.html

Edited by alecmc

The problem everyone is having is known by Starline. Last year April 2012 I received an order of 1000 .38 short colts that had 500 or so that were out of spec. I started with Dave Hearth not knowing it was a brass issue. I purchased a large supply of clips from him and after a couple of emails not liking the warped tight fit I was getting, I grabbed a handful of brand new brass and sent it to Dave. Dave confirmed that 50% of the random sample I sent him had a groove that was larger than he had seen from Starline. He offered to make me some bastard clips.

I opted to contact Starline. After measuring the groove in my newest shipment of short colts, I determined I had roughly 500 pieces that were out of spec., or didn't fit the clips well. Starline in disbelieve told me I was not measuring accurately and that I should send some to them. I got a call back the next day and the Tech told me that it looked like "a few" might have slipped through after a tool change. I was told that they try to hold .348-.352 on the groove. The bad ones I sent him measured .355-.356 on the groove.

If yours measure .355 you will need to get them replaced by Starline or get bastard clips from Dave. The issue is that the groove was not cut deep enough and it causes the clips to warp, causing problems. This is the first that I have heard anyone other than me having out of spec. brass.

FYI. I do have roughly 250 new and 250 used rounds that have an out of spec groove if someone is interested.

Good luck

I'll throw this out here too,

revolver supply company recently came out with a new 0.25 clip, they are stamped and pretty cheap compared to the hearthco edm cut ones. They actually work pretty well , not as perfect as the hearthco ones, but absolutely workable for local matches and practice.

http://www.revolversupply.com/documents/moon_clips.html

I have a pile of these I use for practice and sometimes matches(if there is a lot of running because my rack is magnets).

• 3 weeks later...

With NEW starline brass and NEW Hearthco Moon Clips, I had to use a pair of pliers to seat the last 2 in about 20% of the Clips. But the issue went away after that first loading. It was due to some sharp burrs and un polished clips. Once used all of the burrs disappeared and everything is right in the world.

TK sells the moon clips polished up a bit better, but they charge for that too!

Dave is Still the MAN!