Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from tupperware to 1911/2011....

kcobean

I made the transition recently. i consciously slowed down so I could build a solid foundation with my new Edge. i think it took about two months including an area championship (total of 40+ stages over this timespan) to really get comfortable with the new hardware.

I am definitely shooting better than i was with my Glock, but then it's hard to say whether I might have had similar improvements with an extra 40+ stages on the Glock instead of the STI.

In short, I'd advise trying to slow down so you can become familiar with the new gun.

Lester

Have to get use to the "different" trigger feel primarily and then due to the heavier weight, the recoil will feel "different" too. Your grip, strong hand thumb, will find a new home on top of the thumb safety. After that, all is good, you will like it.

Edited by HI5-O

My biggest problem was getting used to taking the safety off. Started a few stages squeezing a dead trigger until I remembered to take the safety off.

you are not the first, nor the last. I am so used to my thumb on the safety that my thumb is bouncing all around looking for a shelf when I transition to a striker fired gun.

I just switched from M&P to STI Eagle. Shot first 200 rounds through it on Friday then shot 160 round club match on Sunday. Definitely tough to get used to but already feel like I'm shooting better. just not comfortable doing it, if that makes any sense. I like it ALOT though!!! Feels like a more stable platform!

I recently made the switch and what the others have said is what I experienced. Getting used to the thumb safety and the weight. I had a tendency of blowing by the target in transitions. The sights would go past the target and then come back in. I'm getting much better now. The thumb safety didn't take long at all to get used to.

I'll tell you one thing though.......after playing with a 2011 and then strapping on a plastic gun again is quit an experience. The plastic gun squirts out of the holster so fast it feels like a feather!