Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Updates

Strick

Even then how many GM's, A's and B's finish well down the list because they tanked a stage or three. How many class winners are not at the top of their class but just shot a spectacular match while the better % shooters were off their game? Shot under ideal conditions while other squads shot in the next days rain.

Would I be happy taking high B at nationals? YOU BETCHA!! All I really care about is not DQing or taking bottom B. I will never be serious competition to the top GM's.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy now cowboy, I didn't mean to say that in a way that offended you, so please accept my apology if it sounded like I was accusing you of intentional sandbagging.

I personally think it's lame to for match directors to give prizes for class winners because it encourages exactly the behavior you describe. Not cheating and not necessarily intentional sandbagging, but caring about beating other people that also haven't practiced enough to classify better, and thinking that beating those people is meaningful.

If it's just luck and timing, as you say, might as well give awards for people whose place is a prime number greater than 30, or whose place is divisible by 15, or people who submited their online entry exactly at a particular time. Or maybe just go all the way to luck, and give prizes out by random draw, and give the class winners a plaque and a match bump and a pat on the butt.

I'm actually kind of embarrassed by my class finish and would rather have been bumped before nationals, even if that meant I didn't win the fabulous motorhome for a class finish.

But whatever..... many many other amateur sports have the same problem, and most people in the other sports react the same way as shooters do. I don't really care that much if other people value a class 'win' or whatever.

Edited by motosapiens

Would I be happy taking high B at nationals? YOU BETCHA!! All I really care about is not DQing or taking bottom B. I will never be serious competition to the top GM's.

Would you be happy if your percentage of the top GM's score was better than last year, and/or your overall finish (percentile of the total # of shooters) was better? That's kind of what I shoot for. I just want to improve my own score and my own skill. Results against other shooters may be a byproduct of that, but I can't really control them, or control who enters a given class, or how other people in that class shoot.

It was run. The awesome part is the 95% I shot in august bumped out an older 100%.

Is that what you expected to happen, or was there a timing issue that occurred?

Since it is always seems like a crap shoot on when a classifier will get dumped, that 100% being dropped was unexpected. Of course I also figured Area 4 would have been included since that shot prior to Sep 10th.

Timing is a tough issue and one that I'd like to see get addressed. Having a match submitted immediately but classifiers not paid for until a month or two later is not fair to our shooters. Wonder how many people have been tagged with a chance to move up had the match been properly paid for on time (by my definition - paid for when match is submitted to USPSA) but "lost" standing because they shot a few more classifiers in the mean time before the better one was paid that were at the lower end of being acceptable.

After seeing how fast the classifiers were updated after everyone got home from the Nationals, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a monthly update, every month. Delayed a couple days is reasonable. Saying, We can't do it, is not.

I think the attitude "this is how we always do it" would not fly in any business that I have worked for and frankly USPSA is only there to support the members. Period.

I believe it is not unreasonable to expect updated classifiers.

With a little bit of management planning, it would not be an issue. They do it before other Nationals, Areas, etc. So why not September?

After seeing how fast the classifiers were updated after everyone got home from the Nationals, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a monthly update, every month. Delayed a couple days is reasonable. Saying, We can't do it, is not.

I think the attitude "this is how we always do it" would not fly in any business that I have worked for and frankly USPSA is only there to support the members. Period.

I believe it is not unreasonable to expect updated classifiers.

With a little bit of management planning, it would not be an issue. They do it before other Nationals, Areas, etc. So why not September?

October as well, I do believe.

• 2 weeks later...

So they are not updating this Month's classifier as well? It's the 14th already.

USPSA home page says after the 22nd. Once again, no reason why it could not have been done before heading off, but hey, what do i know....

So they are not updating this Month's classifier as well? It's the 14th already.

USPSA home page says after the 22nd. Once again, no reason why it could not have been done before heading off, but hey, what do i know....

So is Oct 10 the cutoff date for this month you guys know?