Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle Bushing 40S&W or 9mm for IDPA maybe USPSA

tiger49931

I know if i get the STI eagle i can only compete in ESP if its in 9mm or 40S&W. So my question is i may not shoot uspsa but would like to and they just opened a club 2 1/2 HRS away i could shoot at. So would it be better for a 40 S&W because of the minor/ major or would that put a pinch on the competing in IDPA shooting a 40? i do reload and understand the down loading to stop/ change the recoil impulse. just looking for opinions from people who may shoot both or even just compete in the ESP division..

Ty in advance

if you wanted to be competitive in USPSA I would go with .40 unless you shot mostly A's. I use the same gun for both just when I shoot IDPA I change the bullet from a 180 to a 165 or 155 and keep the powder charge the same. works just fine.

Just how much USPSA are you really going to be shooting?

If you're looking to be competitive in both games, then the .40 is your best bet.

If you're looking to primarily shoot IDPA with only USPSA on occasion, then 9mm will save you money.

I do shoot

ssp - S&W M&P 9mm pro 5"

ESR S&W 625 4"

CDP- STI U.S.P.S.A 1911 single stack.

open DIV shoots (local club steel etc) - STI Steel Master

I had a STI Edge 40 S&W but sold it so i can get the Eagle for IDPA and USPSA limited.

Guess the question is do you guys who shoot in larger cities or larger locations have alot of people that shoot IDPA with 40S&W. or is it all 9MM..

The only shooter in my club that shoots ESP in .40 does so in a single stack. To my knowledge, the rest of the ESP shooters are 9mm.

On average, we have 30 shooters on the night I shoot. A vast majority of them are 9mm shooters. We have about 5 CDP shooters and then there's 1-2 that shoot .40 in SSP.

I shoot to shoot & enjoy the shooting & the people. I use a custom 5" 40 S&W (bushing barrel) for IDPA ESP & USPSA L-10. I use the same major load for both. I look at it as if your going to shoot these divisions then use the same ammo and get proficient on the "A".

My load is as follows: (very flat shooting) load is a little snappy

Berry Plated HBRN 155gr.

5.0gr. Titegroup

Primers - SRP or SMP

Avg. Vel. 1085 fps

Avg. PF 168

Also have a Springfield Loaded Stainless Target 5" bushing barrel 9mm that I can use to shoot ESP if I want. Use the same load in my open 9mm gun for steel plate.

My load is as follows:

MG CMJ 124gr.

4.1gr. Titegroup

Primers - Federal SPP

Avg. Vel. 1110 fps

Avg. PF 137

I guess it really comes down to how much IDPA or USPSA shooting you will do. Personally, I like shooting my 40 S&W with my major loads. I probably can be rated higher in IDPA if I shot 9mm minor. But it all boils down to personal preference. I only shoot IDPA when there is nothing else to shoot and that is not very often (maybe six matches the most).

Shoot what will make you happy and proficient.

Bunch of guys at our club - myself included - shoot .40 minor in ESP. Off the top of my head, I can think of 5.

I had a 9mm eagle but have never regretted moving to a .40 eagle. Minor loads with 155 gr bullets are just so soft and easy shooting.

If you think you might do some USPSA later, it is the perfect way to go. Particularly if you do your own reloading.

• 2 weeks later...