Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Creedmoor advise

HotLoad

Over the winter I am considering a 6.5CM AR rifle build for tactical matches and the occasional 3gun side match.

1. Little confused about DPMS patterned recievers vs Armalite?

2. Need barrel recommendations? ie make, contour and length. This is a rifle I might need to hump around so it has to be a balance between weight and accuracy.

3. Can I run JP low mass 308 BCG?

Thanks much

Jeff

1. You want DPMS patterned receivers as the Armalites have fewer options, and no PMags.
2. I'd probably suggest you go for a JP barrel as well.
3. You may want to shoot a few with various configurations to see what you like. AR-10 pattern rifles are even more over-gassed than AR-15s. It is not likely you would be shooting it in 3Gun since it is not .30 caliber, and as such you can optimize for the bullet/load you want to run. You don't really need the speed benefits of the Low mass since you will be braced out, bi-podded etc for the majority of shots. Do some load research before you pop for the barrel because some like certain bullets more than others.

The 6.5CM is a very good long range caliber that can go in either a bolt gun or semi-auto but unless you are willing to go with a longer barrel you are going to be giving up a lot of the advantages of that caliber.

Why are you considering this particular caliber?

The 6.5CM is a very good long range caliber that can go in either a bolt gun or semi-auto but unless you are willing to go with a longer barrel you are going to be giving up a lot of the advantages of that caliber.

Why are you considering this particular caliber?

I have shot a friends CM rifle and fell in love. I shot 3" group at 550 yards without even trying. Light recoil, hi BC bullets, good feeding in AR style rifle, match factory ammo, ...

I see JP barrels only come in 22". Is this to short? JP is very proud of their barrels as I believe it was 600 coins for barrel and matching bolt.

The 6.5 calibers are the current hot ticket and Hornady has done a supreme marketing job in making the 6.5CM the hottest name of the bunch.over the past 5 years. But I do question if it's the kind of do-all cartridge that some people are using it as, particularly for short and middle range shooting.

The 6.5CM and the .260 are extremely similar in ballistics and even shoot the same projectiles and have similar case dimensions and capacity and even powder loads. The major difference is in availability of factory ammo and brass for reloading.

Here is a good comparison between three 6.5mm calibers that has a lot of information about the rounds and what they are good for:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

The main downside to them is cost - you pay a premium for them over a .308 and for anything less than long range may not get that much better performance.

DPMS makes one in 24 inches. While you can't go wrong with JP, a 24-26 inch would be my choice for the extra velocity if you can find one.

I have two 6.5 bolt guns in 26 inches, my load is fairly mild (good brass life) and I get roughly 2750-2800 fps out of the 140 amax. Sure I could hotrod it out of a 22 inch and get close to that (maybe 2700, but that's pushing it), but I wouldnt get more than 2-3 loads on my brass.

I've got GA Precision building me one with a Bartlein and a 4 month wait. But that's because they felt bad because I got ripped off on the purchase of the rifle and they're trying to help me out to fix it. (Note, not by GAP, they've been awesome to deal with on this.)

Got an email back from GA Precision and it seems that they are not taking an new AR work :(. Have a call in to David Sullivan of Westwind rifles who is local gunsmith who from what I have heard does some excellent work.

J

JP has a 12-16 week wait on LRP-07s right now. I ordered one in mid June and is going to arrive at my FFL today for me to pick it up. :) :) :) I'm sure just the barrel wouldn't take that long. See if they can get you a 24".

I'm going to test it out this Sat with some factory Hornady 140 Amax and some 140 SMKs I loaded up.

Unless you are interested in long range (1000yd plus), then any barrel length 20" and over should be fine. You will loose some velocity but not that much. And if you are going to load your own, you can always adjust the load up a bit and/or use a faster powder.

The listed MV for Hornady 140gr factory ammo in a 24" barrel is 2710. If you drop that to a 22" barrel you are probably looking at about 2650. At 600yds, that's only about 5.5" (0.7 MOA or 0.2 MIL) of drop difference. And windage is nearly identical.

MV isn't as big a deal as you might think.

Edited by Graham Smith

Just had a 6.5CM bolt gun built this year. 22" barrel 140gr a-max, using 41.2gr of H4350 I average 2607, i get 2659 with 40.4gr RL17. the h4350 gave a much lower ES and SD than the RL17.

With the 140gr amax @ 2600 i'm 13.8 MILS to 1200 yards @ 450FT ASL and it still moving 1224FPS.

My loads aren't hot rodded. Don't need to push them for speed for what I do. They're warm, but there's definitly room for more speed. I'd say the 22" JP barrel would be just right and would allow you to do what you need to with it all the way out to 1200 yards.

Still waiting to hear back from David Sullivan of Westwind rifles. Hope to have him do me up a 24" barrel from Mark Chanlyn of Rocky Mountain Rifle Works. Both guys I believe studied under Boots Obermeyer. Can't imagine a better barrel and both guys are within 30min from my house.

J

This is somewhat off topic but it's worth throwing in there for those contemplating this caliber.

The 6.5CM is sort of an improved .260 Rem. It was developed and promoted by Hornady who have produced some really good match ammunition for it, which is a major factor in it's rapid rise. And for the hand loader, they make the bullets and the brass and publish the load data for it. IOW they do everything that a company should do to promote a new caliber.

But, if you are shooting long range and load your own, the .260 is as good or better a choice. Lapua makes .260 brass and there are at least a dozen different bullets with wicked high BC's that can be used. Actually the .260 and the 6.5CM use the same bullets and can use nearly the same loads.

The reason I mention this is that the .260 semi-auto can be a good choice if you do your own reloading. Particularly if you are willing to do a bit of extra work up-front and make your own .260 brass from .243 or 7mm-08.