Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello:

Instead of buying a three gun rifle I am looking into possibly building one (yet on a budget). I am looking at a few different barrel manufactures and was wondering the opinions on this sight.

- I already have an upper reciever, bolt, and syrac ordnance adjustable gas block.

- Looking at the midwest industries SS Gen 2 for Handguard

- I know JP is the best but it is about 200-300 dollars more then most other barrel companies.

- Daniel Defense, looking at there 16" midlength barrel

- Rainier arms

- Blackhole Weaponary

- Centurion Arms (16" LW)

Just wondering your opinion on the different barrels.

Thanks,

Adam

How far will you be shooting? For 3 gunning, you don't need a very accurate gun so a cheaper barrel to start you off will suffice. The money you save can be used to buy more ammo to practice with. Once you get a feel for your "game" you can start adjusting by trying out a new brake, scope, hand guards, stock, etc. If it works for one person, it might not work for others.

I have been shooting three gun matches for about 1 year. Most the time I have been using my work rifle (SW Midlength magpul) and bought a Stag 3g. Shot the Stag 3g in 2 matches and did not like it because it felt two end heavy and transitioning between targets was a lot slower then with the 16 inch SW.

So I am either thinking of a 16" inch gun or a 18" lightweight barreled gun.

Distance would be out to 400 yards.

I bought a WOA 18" for my build. I love the barrel, only wish it was a little lighter, My gun weighs 7.5lbs and I think I might build another one in a 14.5 lightweight for local matches.

I have the MI gen 2 SS rail in a 15in and I love it. I am going to buy another when I build my 22 upper for practice as well.

Keep in mind the price of the JP barrel includes their enhanced bolt. They use Wilson barrels so if you didn't want their bolt you could buy a barrel from someone else that also uses Wilson barrels, such as Nordic.

JP makes their own barrels or so was my understanding.

Pat

Keep in mind the price of the JP barrel includes their enhanced bolt. They use Wilson barrels so if you didn't want their bolt you could buy a barrel from someone else that also uses Wilson barrels, such as Nordic.

JP makes their own barrels or so was my understanding.

Pat

JP uses Wilson blanks as far as I know and do their own finishing and have their barrel cryogenically treated.

Criterion barrels are nice. Benny thinks very highly of them. I have the 18" hybrid in my latest rifle. So far, I like it a lot.

A pity that some of the more desirable profiles are back ordered at Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar15-m16-criterion-barrels-prod54733.aspx)