Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tough decision.. XDM 5.25" or 4.5" 9MM?

hukdizzle

I know this has probably been beaten to death here and I have found a couple of threads on this but was hoping to get some input from those with experience with both on a new thread. To preface this I will be predominately shooting the gun in IDPA for a while and hope to get into 3 Gun and USPSA in the near future there just isn't much participation in my immediate area right now. The choice is clear if money was no object to get the 5.25" and have it worked over by canyon creek/springer/PRP etc but unfortunately I have to live in the real world and money isn't unlimited on my build. With all that being said is the 5.25" really worth me spending the extra money on? I can get the 4.5" for $140 cheaper (minimum, 4.5" is $520 shipped and 5.25" is $660 shipped but out of stock) shipped and that money alone would pay for my PRP ultimate match trigger I plan on installing into the gun. I am looking to shoot the gun in ESP IDPA for now until the rule book change next month so that the XDM is included in SSP. I eventually plan to reload and I know that the adjustable rear sight on the 5.25 is a big plus when you reload for adjusting for POA/POI shifts but as of right now since components are so hard to find I will not be getting into reloading.

Regardless of the gun I purchase it will be getting a springer steel guide rod, PRP ultimate match trigger with spring calibration kit, Talon/PRP grip tape, and a comptac international holster. I already have comptac double stack XDM mag pouches from my prior IDPA gun which was a 3.8" XDM.

So... Sorry this has been beaten to death I am sure but was hoping to get some more recent input on this. I am literally buying this gun to purpose it for shooting competitions so I am leaning towards just spending the extra cash on the 5.25" but it's not in stock right now at that price point and no one else has it that cheap (sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com btw). I could have a 4.5" in a matter of days but I don't know when I will get another chance to buy a 5.25" for $660 so it's enticing to pick up the 4.5".

Thank you,

-Curtis

Well i shoot the 5.25 and i love it. But all the parts for the 4.5 and 5.25 are interchangeable. They use the same guide rod, spring, mags, and trigger components. So basically the only difference is barrel length, and the slide cut out in the 5.25. Although you do get a bit longer sight radius on the 5.25. My suggestion is to fire both and see which one you like the feel of better.

I love my 5.25 just picked it up about a month ago and boy never selling it looking at picking up another for a backup. I would get the 40cal for both sports you can shoot IDPA with it and USPSA limited or L10 and be in the MAJOR PF. The stock trigger is not that bad after you shoot it a few times you get used to it, if it was me I would save the money for the trigger and all the other parts you mentioned and get the 5.25 and then spruce it up over time. I see your point with the gun prices but don't think that's going to change put a WTB add in the classifieds be amazed what you can get. Also reloading stuff is back around on the market you can get BBI bullets and other lead and jacketed bullets pretty regularly Powder Valley has Tula primers in stock so does bass pro and a few other websites. The powder would be a little harder but have seen it around at all my local shops lately and you can always ask around your local club most people have powder to spare/sell if they don't use it no more.

I would def look at spending the extra and getting the 5.25 from the start. Just look at as a little more investment but won't cost you twice down the road if u got the 4.5 and decided after putting money into it that you would want it. Also check out GB for the 5.25 I have seen quite a few deals on them on there

These guys most likely has much more experience than me, but with that being said I have shot both and now own the 4.5" and don't regret a thing. The gun is far more accurate than me. I feel they both performed very similar and the only difference I found is my personal preference. I am with WidowsSon683 and I would recommend you go out (if you can) and put a few hundred rounds through both.

yea if i could go back i'd most likey go with the shorter gun, same grip tho. i'd really like my production/fun gun to be able to be carried as well.

i'm thinking the 4.5 or 3.8 would fit my need or do you think i'll really miss the sight radius?

As another option, why not go with the 40s&w instead of the 9mm? You could load your own or acquire lower (Minor) power factor 40s&w to help it should soft. With the lower power factor ammo, you may just need to switch out the recoil spring to one that is 2 pounds lower than the factory provided version.

This option will also allow you to shoot USPSA Limited and Limited10 should you want to try it out in the future while still making Major Power Factor. You could also try USPSA Production using the lower (Minor) Power Factor ammo.

I had the 4.5 XDm and upgraded to the newer 5.25 version. I really like the 5.25 for competitions. I do think it is too long to carry.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Edited by szhttm

It seems like the general consensus on this debate is how much that little competitive edge of the 5.25 matters to you. To the guys who take shooting games seriously the 5.25" is the only way to go but even still the 4.5" in the hands of a capable shooter will be able to match the 5.25" very close. I recently shot my XDS9 in an informal 3 gun event for fun and I have to say that the FO front sight helped tremendously with picking up the sight picture and alignment. I currently shoot both eyes open and focus on my target and not my sights and it seemed to be much easier to pick up the sight picture with the contrast front to back of the sights. I have a feeling that if I don't pick up the 5.25" I will always question if it really was the better gun for me and those extra features may potentially make the gun easier for me to shoot competitively (I have no option to test fire one unfortunately, no rentals around here and no one I know has one. I have shot a 4.5" several times before.). I will probably end up picking up the 5.25" because in the long run the extra money spent up front will pay off.

Edited by hukdizzle

As another option, why not go with the 40s&w instead of the 9mm? You could load your own or acquire lower (Minor) power factor 40s&w to help it should soft. With the lower power factor ammo, you may just need to switch out the recoil spring to one that is 2 pounds lower than the factory provided version.

This option will also allow you to shoot USPSA Limited and Limited10 should you want to try it out in the future while still making Major Power Factor. You could also try USPSA Production using the lower (Minor) Power Factor ammo.

I had the 4.5 XDm and upgraded to the newer 5.25 version. I really like the 5.25 for competitions. I do think it is too long to carry.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

I have definitely considered it but at this time I have no plans to reload in the near future due to the issue with finding components locally and I don't have an actual local USPSA chapter here yet. I would have to travel over an hour to the nearest USPSA chapter to shoot one of their events so my predominate organization will be IDPA.

Edited by hukdizzle

Went ahead and ordered the longslide today. If anyone is looking for a killer price on a 5.25 hit up sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com, $660 out the door which is an absurd price. So get this, they were out of stock and I hit them up on their facebook and they sourced one and put it back in stock for me so I could order one and have it before my IDPA match this month... I have already ordered an XDS from them and the service was great then as well so I highly recommend them!

Edited by hukdizzle

I have both and recommend the 5.25. I believe the adjustable rear sight and front fiber is worth the extra cost. <br /><br />Also, until IDPA rules on the PRP trigger, I would not use their trigger kit if you want to shoot SSP. There is debate if it is legal. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4<br /><br />

I have both and recommend the 5.25. I believe the adjustable rear sight and front fiber is worth the extra cost.

Also, until IDPA rules on the PRP trigger, I would not use their trigger kit if you want to shoot SSP. There is debate if it is legal.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Edit: this is not a slam on the PRP trigger - I like them and have installed on most of my XDM's.

The PRP keeps you in ESP after this month, from my understanding.

Weird, it uses a springfield custom part # for the actual trigger so there is no visible trigger changes so I would think it would be SSP compliant but whatever. I enjoy the PRP triggers too much and will shoot it in ESP if that is how it rules out. I already ordered a PRP Match Trigger, Springer steel guide rod, dawson +100 pads, a comp-tac international, and some Talon grip tape grips.

I have both and recommend the 5.25. I believe the adjustable rear sight and front fiber is worth the extra cost. <br /><br />Also, until IDPA rules on the PRP trigger, I would not use their trigger kit if you want to shoot SSP. There is debate if it is legal. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4<br /><br />

This. In my mind the 5.25 might be more expensive, but by the time you throw new sights on the 4.5, you're apples to apples. That's when the 5.25 looks even more appealing.

Edited by JasonandMichelle

yea if i could go back i'd most likey go with the shorter gun, same grip tho. i'd really like my production/fun gun to be able to be carried as well.

i'm thinking the 4.5 or 3.8 would fit my need or do you think i'll really miss the sight radius?

I use the 4.5 as my carry gun. The only reason I didn't go to a 3.8 was because besides slide length, the gun is exactly the same. So it is shorter but with the same frame so I figured the 4.5 was more beneficial.

I have both and recommend the 5.25. I believe the adjustable rear sight and front fiber is worth the extra cost.

Also, until IDPA rules on the PRP trigger, I would not use their trigger kit if you want to shoot SSP. There is debate if it is legal.

Edit: this is not a slam on the PRP trigger - I like them and have installed on most of my XDM's.

I have heard this but since the PRP trigger kit is all OEM parts I thought there wouldn't be an issue with this? Maybe? I may just be completely off and thinking of an entirely different issue too though :-P

I think you will be very happy with your decision. I really like my 5.25 (.40) although I have been shooting more Single Stack and Revolver lately. I went with the .40 for the 5.25 because I already had a .40 3.8 and lots of mags. I reload and shoot .40 minor PF and like it a lot. I also use the 5.25 for Outlaw 3-Gun and plan on adding a 9mm conversion barrel so I can have a few extra rounds in the mag. I also second the PRP Ultimate trigger, it made a huge difference in feel for my 5.25, but maybe not my scores. Good luck, and have fun with your new gun, sounds like you got a heck of a deal on it.

I use the 4.5 as my carry gun. The only reason I didn't go to a 3.8 was because besides slide length, the gun is exactly the same. So it is shorter but with the same frame so I figured the 4.5 was more beneficial.

I have heard this but since the PRP trigger kit is all OEM parts I thought there wouldn't be an issue with this? Maybe? I may just be completely off and thinking of an entirely different issue too though :-P

Unfortunately, while I agree with you, there is a pretty big debate on the idpa forums about the PRP trigger. We are waiting for headquarters to actually reply and let us know what the decision is.