Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

Thanks? But thats just a pic. Its actually a large frame .45 built for standard division (basically limited in Canada). As for size of the mags I have plenty of factory Tanfoglio base pad to work with.

Dont know what more you can do to make this any more of a Comp gun?

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.45 for standard is not the best choice , so is the small frame in .40 as it limits your choice of powders while limiting you overall length but you already told me that this is large frame , well I guess I let you give it a try and tell us later how that worked out in a match.

Edited by babo_al

Thanks for the info and I know by no means is a .45 my best choice but its fun and I love it lol. I also have a large frame 9mm and .40 slide to play with also, the.40 needs some to work properly fit. And I know your from Toronto also, I didnt need to mention that about the standard division lol.

So your saying its just the caliber thats limiting, and will that still apply with our 10 round mag limit?

Are you going to get out to the first Silverdale match in March? I wont be anle get out until the April match :).

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

Just my opinion , I don't mean to discourage you , hard to find .45 brass and bullets for a decent price to be able to shoot lots and practise. Your 9mm will get you in standard minor but that wont be completive ether in a match, though still good for practise. So really, finding .40 top end and combining it with a large frame for max bullet overall length will be the best of all scenarios. As per matches you know we are buried in snow here , hope the weather turns better so we can have few months of matches and outdoor practise in preparation for world shoot.

Not discouraging at all and thanks for useful info, it goes along way and only make me want to learn and do more :).

This was kinda a hard project to pull off. My open gun is a .40 and thats what we are reloading now so the plan was to make a .40 gun. Since its so hard to find large frame parts in Canada we ordered a bunch of stuff from the states. We got a complete Large frame Hunter 10mm, a Large frame lower, an Eric Gold .45, .45 Stock 2, .45 Match, .40 and a 9mm slide. We kinda had to mix, match and work with what we had to build these two guns.

The Hunter frame fits with the EG, the .40 and the .45 Stock 2 (but its to short), but not with the 9mm or .45 Match.

My Large frame lower fits with the .45 Stock 2, the 9mm and I havent tried the EG, but it wont work with the .40 and it's tight with the. 45 Match.

For now ill shoot my .40 open and the .45 in standard, and ill use the 9mm for practice as you mentioned. I guess well also be looking for .45 dillion 650 parts in the near future, good thing we've been saving our .45 brass for some time now :).

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

So I was at a nearby gun store with my father picking up some shotgun ammo, well I was in there about a year ago and had seen a witness in there. So I'm in there today and "happen" to spot a elite limited in .40. I wasn't crazy about .40. But hey it's an elite limited in a store!! Do I asked to look at it and I'm fondling it when the guy pulls out another elite limited in 9mm! So here I am with my father fondling 2 elite limiteds in a tiny gun store in no-where GA. But it didn't stop there the guy sees my looking at them and pulls out all the stops, he goes behind the counter and pulls out a nondescript looking box. At this point my curiosity is peaked and to my extreme surprise he pulls out a brand spakin new cz checmate!!! I just couldn't believe it, so I'm on the way home think in king how to swing that I NEED a new gun (or 2). HA HA! I just couldn't believe it and had to share.

Hello everyone, I am new to the Tanfoglio platform and I just took my new Limited Pro 45 ACP to the range today to give it an honest assessment. I shot standard plate rack at 10 and 30 yds to see how the gun runs and compare it to my other main pistols I run in IDPA. I ran a mix of ammo through it including 50 American Eagle 230 FMJ's, 53 230g FMJ reloads, and 30 old 200g LSWC I had laying around since my old 1911 45 days. It ate everything I fed it and accuracy was dead on!

I didn't come into this expecting much as I wasn't overly excited about this gun for some reason but wanted to see what the hype was about after reading so much of these and other CZ style guns. But when I was finished at the range, I noticed that my times and accuracy were in line with my 9mm STI Trojan that I shoot mainly in IDPA. I also noticed a lack of recoil and how the gun just seemed to sit still while transitioning from target to target, all I had to do was press the trigger and the gun seemed to fall into doing the rest.

I do have one issue that I will be addressing soon. Thanks to the help of a few on this forum and tons of reading, I am going to convert this gun over to SAO and shoot it in CDP and ESP for IDPA. The stock trigger in DA is very heavy but not gritty. It maxed out my digital trigger scale! The SA breaks crisp and consistently at 5.7lb. I would like to drop this to 2.5 - 3 lbs. With that said, Does anyone have a spare SA style trigger laying around they wouldn't mind parting with? I can either buy it outright or trade for my DA/SA trigger and disconnect. I may end up doing the Henning trigger to this gun but I want to keep the cost down for now and I think I can get close to my goal for the poundage with some polishing, stoning the sear, hammer, and spring changes along with the flatter profile SA trigger.

Thanks in advance!

Some pics of the new rig:

IMG_5148_zpsfbdfe5c9.jpg

Compared to my Trojan 9mm:

IMG_5196_zpse4d85cb0.jpg

Well tomorrow I will do the official range report but today we built another weld up magazine. This one will hold 28 maybe 29 in a day or so, but my father welded it and I sanded and polished it smooth so fingers crossed that both will run!! And John yes you really do have to get your sand on to make them work I have been polishing and sanding (albeit the exterior and interior) for nearly 5 hours.

Nice Job on the weld jig set-up.
I messed around a little with welding up Mecgar 38 super mags and found that if I got the welded tube length in the 152.25 - 153.25mm range I stood a chance of getting 29 rounds with a tweaked grams spring and follower. Made a jig out of milled angle iron, some pins and over-center clamps as hold downs and that worked pretty well to keep the tubes in position and minimize warpage. I left the jig with the guy who did the actual welding, otherwise I would post a pic (it wasn't really that sexy, actually). After the initial sanding/blending with a long sanding stick, I found that buffing the internal weld area with a scotchbright buff in a foredom or dremel hand piece really helped. I think if I was to do a batch of the Mecgars I'd be tempted to get them nickle plated at APW as the AFC coating on the donor mags is pretty well annihilated.

For the big sticks I found the Caspian quick change base pad to be the best. Since on a big stick the base pad doesn't even come close to the magwell, the normal interference you would have between a Henning/Tanfo Elite magwell and the caspian quick change pad isn't an issue.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Nice Job on the weld jig set-up.

I messed around a little with welding up Mecgar 38 super mags and found that if I got the welded tube length in the 152.25 - 153.25mm range I stood a chance of getting 29 rounds with a tweaked grams spring and follower. Made a jig out of milled angle iron, some pins and over-center clamps as hold downs and that worked pretty well to keep the tubes in position and minimize warpage. I left the jig with the guy who did the actual welding, otherwise I would post a pic (it wasn't really that sexy, actually). After the initial sanding/blending with a long sanding stick, I found that buffing the internal weld area with a scotchbright buff in a foredom or dremel hand piece really helped. I think if I was to do a batch of the Mecgars I'd be tempted to get them nickle plated at APW as the AFC coating on the donor mags is pretty well annihilated.

For the big sticks I found the Caspian quick change base pad to be the best. Since on a big stick the base pad doesn't even come close to the magwell, the normal interference you would have between a Henning/Tanfo Elite magwell and the caspian quick change pad isn't an issue.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Yeah I am quite tempted to cerakote them, and I probably will but I have a big match later this month and making sure I'm ready takes precedence over aesthetics. So it has to wait for awhile.

Anyone have a set of gold team or aluminum factory grips they want to part with? I'm looking to replace the factory wood grips on my Limited Pro. Let me know and thanks I'm advance!

Edit: never mind. It appears as though the Gold Team grips are too short for my model. Does the factory offer the same style grips for the non magwell models such as the limited pro?

I'd even be interested in a EG or Henning set used if ya want to part with them. Thanks!

Edited by lksyotas

So I bought home a new small frame today which I'm very excited to shoot; thanks to Will for turning me on to this deal :)

IMG_20140305_191333_834-1_zpsnfwav4ct.jp

This one was built by a top notch smith from the early '90s and is very tight with a great trigger! These are my favorite frames, I have three now all imported in 1992. The all have aggressive, waffle iron checkering on the front/back of the frame and on the bottom of the trigger guard:

IMG_20140305_191425_927_zpspgtmaqcr.jpg

Now all it needs is a Henning magwell, TS fixed rear, SP01 rubber grips extended mag release and a thumb rest!

Edited by kneelingatlas

I don't get the checkering on the bottom of the trigger guard. I've stoned mine to take all the sharp edges off! ;)

I agree.. Alot of the early 90's smithys did that to keep your left index finger (RH shooter) from sliding around on the 2 hand grip. Sure does lock it in, but chews up the safariland locking block..