Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Relaoding .40 S&W

Selby213

Grx push through is the way to go hands down.

I second that.

If you can add in a teenager needing gas money you'll have a bucket full of sized brass with little time spent. :goof:

Can I ask what the downside is to not using a die like that? I just use the sizer from my hornady set and it seems to be working out great. It's mostly glock brass but I've never had any problems...

I have a Lee Bulge Buster that I prefer over the Redding Grx. In fact I have had the Redding Grx for sale several times, and no one wants it. I reload thousands of 40 a year, and the bulge buster sits on the single stage Lee press at the end of the loading bench collecting dust. I case gauge all my match ammo, put the rounds that don't case gauge well in a separate pile, and shoot those in practice. When I first started loading 40, I bulge busted allot of them, but then found it was mainly a waste of my time.

What I mean is my loader die does a sufficient job of resizing the brass. I gauge all match ammo, which everyone should do. The ammo that doesn't pass the gauge test is still good ammo to use for practice, just not good enough for a match. I like having the Lee Bulge Buster available my bench, but rarely use it.

Edited by ohsevenflhx

I started loading .40 with Redding dies for my STI. I shoot USPSA a few times a month and ran into issues with Glock bulge since I use range brass. I bought the Redding GRX push through setup and asked a a few of the guys (veterans) in the squad what dies they use. All were using the Lee U die and Lee FCD. When I told them what I was using they asked, "If you are using a progressive press, why would you want to do an extra step on a single stage. Get the U die and spend the time you save on shooting instead of reloading." I bought the Lee U die and never looked back.

I know the EGW die is a modified U die with slightly different specs but the U die was readily available when I purchased mine a few months ago. The case dims after the U die have consistent and feed great in my STI.

I just purchased a Lee FCD and will be changing that out on my press whe it arrives. Here's how I set up my crimps which may have been mentioned in an earlier post.

1) Measure bullet width

2) Measure case wall thickness and multiply by 2.

3) Add step 1 & 2 and subtract .001 - .002. This will be your target dimension when you measure your case at the crimp on a finished round.

4) Make a round and measure to ensure you are at your target dimension.

5) Pull the bullet and make sure there are no indentations on the bullet. You don't want to over pressurize the round with a tight crimp. If indentations are present, back off the crimp and repeat.

When I setup my expander, I make fine adjustments until I can just fit the bullet in the case. The bullet should be able to stand in the case on its own so you dont have to hold it as you raise the ram in the press. The photos you posted were belled way too much for my liking. I think the less the brass has to be reshaped from expanding to crimping, the more consistent the crimp results and less stressing the of the brass case.

Shelby, You can get the Lee U-die from EGWguns.com, it's all I use for loading .40 and it does get rid of the .40 bulge. http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersized-reloading-dies/

Thanks, I ordered one. I believe I looked before and they were out of stock. Got a coworker that uses it and it solved his 9mm bulge issues. Bought a couple extra pins too.

Sorry I had nothing but trouble with the U-die and cannot endorse it. I have no problem taking the extra step to take the bulge out of 20 or 30 or so of say a 1000 rounds that fail gauge.

So you re-size the ammo that fails the case gauge? I have been taught/told to never resize loaded rounds. Only to re-size or bulge bust empty brass. If I remember correctly it has something to do with it resizes the bullet too, if you re-size after it is loaded.

Edited by ohsevenflhx

So I have bought the case gauge, and the EGW die. Is the case gauge the last step in the process, or should it be used in another spot? It would seem that if using the EGW die instead of my standard Lyman die than I wouldn't have to use the case gauge. That being said I don't know if I could express the level of annoyed I would be if I was at a travel match and had FTF because I wanted to save 10seconds 3 months prior.

Thanks for everyone help. It seems after reading this that there are a couple of us that are getting help from everyone.

Yes, case gauge last. If it passes case gauge, put it in your match ammo pile. If it fails case gauge, put it in your practice ammo pile, unless it's grossly deformed. I personally don't resize anything after it is loaded. Once it has been reloaded, use it or tear it apart, one of the two.

Yes, case gauge last. If it passes case gauge, put it in your match ammo pile. If it fails case gauge, put it in your practice ammo pile, unless it's grossly deformed. I personally don't resize anything after it is loaded. Once it has been reloaded, use it or tear it apart, one of the two.

I always use chamber of pistol I'm shooting to check match ammo. I've had case gages pass but not pass in chamber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know why my quote function wont work, but that is what I had been doing. First I used my production gun barrels, but they allowed nearly everything I had resized through the lyman. Then once I got a few FTF in the Edge I used that and found about 200 that didn't fit 100%

Standard Lee sizing die is all I have ever needed in my SV and STI barrels. No FCD needed either.

All of my brass is range pick up. I shoot everything I scrounge. No issues whatsoever.

IMO, if many of the average sizers on the market do not work, I would address the chamber of the barrel.

So I have bought the case gauge, and the EGW die. Is the case gauge the last step in the process, or should it be used in another spot? It would seem that if using the EGW die instead of my standard Lyman die than I wouldn't have to use the case gauge. That being said I don't know if I could express the level of annoyed I would be if I was at a travel match and had FTF because I wanted to save 10seconds 3 months prior.

Thanks for everyone help. It seems after reading this that there are a couple of us that are getting help from everyone.

All of my loaded ammo goes into a large ammo can. Prior to a match, I case gauge the rounds and place them in Dillon bins. Practice ammo goes straight to the range without being checked. With the Udie I have never and I mean NEVER had a round fail to chamber.