Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to the 2011 World with Questions

Iceman2733

I have recently decided to step into the 2011 world and have been looking at picking up STI Edge to compete in USPSA limited. My question I have I hope you guys can help answer is the best bang for the buck the STI Edge or should I look into having a firearm built. I am wanting to stay around the $2k mark could you guys give me some advice on if sticking with an STI Edge would be the best thing being new to the 2011 world or if having a gun built would be better. Also if you would recommend a different 2011 please let me know

THANK YOU

I head to the dawson website and pick up one of their tuned guns. Great place to start. Also head to the classifieds and put up a WTB add. My guess is their is some great used 2011's floating around. Don't forget you will need some money for mags. STI mags are not cheap! Hope this helps. Edge is a great gun.

J

If you want to stay around 2k, it's going to be tough to have one built for that price - particularly if you are including mags in your budget.

I've gone the full custom route. And I've bought a couple guns from guys on the classifieds here.

If i were starting over, I would start with a nice used gun from the classifieds here. You can grab some nice stuff well within your budget if you keep an eye on the guns that pop up.

I personally prefer the STI eagle, but I think it's safe to say that the Edge is the more popular gun.

Thank you everyone for the advice!!!

Looks like an STI Edge is in my near future. Can you guys tell me what the difference in the roll marks on the slide are? I see some of the guns say Edge rather largely across the side of the slide others just say it small at the rear of the slide? I didn't know if that was a difference in generations of the pistol or anything like that and which is preferred.

Does the Edge have any weakness that I should be aware of that I might need to upgrade from the start to help save headaches??

THANKS AGAIN

i have seen that as well with the "Edge" marking and i couldnt tell you the difference. As far as the "weakness" i would have to say for any STI it would be the Mags!!!! Make sure you keep them clean and tuned.

I just went through a similar journey coming from a Glock 35 to my first STI.

• The Edge with a trigger job is all you need to run well.
  • I built mags from STI tubes, Grams followers, and Taran basepads. No tuning and the all run perfectly. Each holds 20 rounds no problem.

I shot a couple of matches and did the following:

• Drilled and tapped the mag release for a big button - it was nicer, but not completely necessary.
  • The stock beaver tail grip safety with thumb relief was cutting into the web of my thumb so I replace it with an EGW. That solved the problem.
  • Replaced the thumb safety for the extra large SVI version just because...
  • Replaced the Recoil Master with a FLGR and 12lb spring. I tried an 11, but the heavier spring brings the sight back better for me

Sounds like a lot, but I think you could have a great time shooting the STI with just a trigger job. The rest is really nice to have and can wait until you shoot it a bit and figure out what you need.

Lester

Thank you everyone for the advice!!!

Looks like an STI Edge is in my near future. Can you guys tell me what the difference in the roll marks on the slide are? I see some of the guns say Edge rather largely across the side of the slide others just say it small at the rear of the slide? I didn't know if that was a difference in generations of the pistol or anything like that and which is preferred.

Does the Edge have any weakness that I should be aware of that I might need to upgrade from the start to help save headaches??

THANKS AGAIN

Agreed. If it hits the dirt, you need to empty it and clean it before reloading.

i have seen that as well with the "Edge" marking and i couldnt tell you the difference. As far as the "weakness" i would have to say for any STI it would be the Mags!!!! Make sure you keep them clean and tuned.

Thanks again everyone.... I am looking at getting maybe the Dawson CRP version so I would already have the FO front sight, drilled and tapped mag release and there magwell. Thank you everyone. Is there anywhere you could recommend to pick up mags at? Also is the recoil master worth keeping? I have had a few people recommend to get rid of it asap.

I dunno about everyone but I def LIKE the new rollmarks a lot better!!

The Edge is a good gun to start of with but if you could find a used custom built gun out there that might be a better option. there are some smoking deals out there it just takes a bit of waiting and luck.

Edited by ogiebb

Thanks again everyone.... I am looking at getting maybe the Dawson CRP version so I would already have the FO front sight, drilled and tapped mag release and there magwell. Thank you everyone. Is there anywhere you could recommend to pick up mags at? Also is the recoil master worth keeping? I have had a few people recommend to get rid of it asap.

I dunno about everyone but I def LIKE the new rollmarks a lot better!!

I built all my STI mags from STI tubes, grams spring/follower kits (11 coil for 140mm mags) and dawson base pads. Eventually tried out the Taran base pads too both worked great. Got all my parts from shootersconnection.com; looks like everything you'd need is in stock currently.

I get rid of all the recoil masters in favor of the more tunable FLGR (since you can swap springs easier to find what you like) and because the recoil impulse feels odd to me. A friend however made A this summer with his bone stock STI USPSA double stack including recoil master and always whoops me so I can say with relative certainty you don't "need" to change it out.

-424D57

The Edge is a good gun to start of with but if you could find a used custom built gun out there that might be a better option. there are some smoking deals out there it just takes a bit of waiting and luck.

You really can find awesome deals on here. I seen a Brazo Custom limited pistol go for $1700. It was a little rough but that's still a stral

Iceman,

I would keep track of "ogiebb" since he sells a lot of great pistols :) ...You could end up with a nice used custom built gun...

Thanks...

my main gunsmith retired so im really trying my best to hold on my blasters :goof::goof: ... well i guess you never know hehehe

Edited by ogiebb

I moved from Production to Limited by going from my 34 to a 35. Nice transition since the gun is same but with more rounds in the mags.

Moved from the 35 to an Edge when the right deal came along. It's taken a few months to get familiar with the new gun.

Lester

Not to highjack this thread, but I am in the same boat. I have been shooting a G34 in production and want to try my luck at limited. So I will be watching this thread for all of the good information.

Sti edge is a perfect gun..

Custom gun are not much better sometimes they can be even worse.

Buy new if you can, don't take the risk of ending up with a junk gun that needs a grand of work before it runs..

Descent trigger job on a new edge, makes about as good of a limited gun as you can get..

Cheers,

Los

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Carlosa that was my exact thoughts and worries was getting a custom that had been thru well you know where and back and caused me more headaches then I wanted especially considering I live in KY and I don't know of any gunsmiths around there area that specialize in the 2011.

I do have a question are the STI worth picking up at all? I don't have the dime to buy custom tuned but had thought about buying some STI and doing them myself with the Dawson kit slowly. I have a match coming up the 15th and would like to pick some up but if they are junk then I will look into just buying the tubes and doing it that way. Just don't want to waste money

THANKS again everyone

My experience is with new STI tubes, Grams followers and springs, and Taran basepads. I just slapped them together and they've run perfectly. They each hold twenty rounds with room.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Carlosa that was my exact thoughts and worries was getting a custom that had been thru well you know where and back and caused me more headaches then I wanted especially considering I live in KY and I don't know of any gunsmiths around there area that specialize in the 2011.

I do have a question are the STI worth picking up at all? I don't have the dime to buy custom tuned but had thought about buying some STI and doing them myself with the Dawson kit slowly. I have a match coming up the 15th and would like to pick some up but if they are junk then I will look into just buying the tubes and doing it that way. Just don't want to waste money

THANKS again everyone

My experience is with new STI tubes, Grams followers and springs, and Taran basepads. I just slapped them together and they've run perfectly. They each hold twenty rounds with room.

THANKS again everyone

I agree 100%..

Except for the Taran base pads..

I'm not a fan of those..

If you wanted to start cheap pick up Sti mags the only hold 18..

But if you could get new followers springs and pads and get them up to 20 easily..

the one thing folks won't tell you about when it comes to having a gun built, is just how stress full it can be.

Until you have someone that you really trust to make your money spent worth every dime, you are better off staying away.

There are a few guns smiths around the country that are very good, and there are other (some big name smiths) who will build you a $3k paper weight, and turn around and tell you it's some how your fault...

Even when the gun is built by a good smith, sometimes the gun has to be sent back for tweaks which is a stressing ordeal on its own.

If you can find some one that you fully trust, and it's local to you. You've hit the jack pot.

The whole exercise is allot easier if you already have a gun to get you by. If your first STI is a custom build there's allot of room for unmet expectations..

Get an edge, start shooting limited.,

Once you find as smith you trust, if you still have the itch for a custom go for it.

As for me, I'm kind of going backwards.. Started custom, and now I rather have factory with minor tweaks..