Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backpack Recommendations, Work and Range

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but it's the closest I could find. I need a new backpack to use as my work bag and I would like for it to double as a range pack for USPSA. I'll be carrying a laptop, charger and padfolio for work when I travel. Then of course pistal and ammo at the range.

I was thinking about ordering a 5.11 Rush 12, but wasn't sure about the number of pockets and pockets. Anyone have any thoughts or other recommndations.

Thanks

I've owned the 5.11 Rush 72 for a while now and it's by-far the best pack I've ever used. Holds more than you could possibly need for a day of shooting. I've used it for multi-day travel as well as it still fits in a planes overhead. Durability on it is excellent, no issues at all.

Shood be good for your work stuff at all. If you think it's too big then maybe get a smaller size. I just like having one bag that does everything.

It's actually so good, someone stole my original one. Guess it was just too nice for them to keep their thieving hands off of.

I got an Eagle Ind. 3 day pack from Natchez Shooter Supply. It is covered in molle on the outside, several inside pockets to organize small items, a laptop sleeve on the back side, and padded shoulder straps. It was $29 for a $150+ pack.

Have a look at the Camelbak bags (I like the HAWG). There's a good deal of room and there is a separate zippered compartment in the rear that holds the water bladder. Take the bladder out and you've got room for a laptop and sleeve. Put the bladder back in for matches and have all the water you need without having to tote bottles.

I know there's a lot of things impacting what kind of pack to buy, but I'm a big proponent of having separate bags for EDC and USPSA. The reason is basically that I have a tendency to procrastinate enough before a match that I'll forget to take something out of the bag I use for EDC, forget something I need or would like to have at the range, or forget to put something back that I need or would like to have for EDC.

If you're not that type of person, then it's not an issue, but I'm just not quite organized enough to move stuff around like that.

Learned the hard way to have a separate shooting bag and EDC bag. Used my Camelback MotherLode bag for 3g and one day going through the airport almost missed a flight as TSA kept going through it till they found the loaded mag. Luckily the local PD officer they called over only issued me a warning and TSA kept the mag. Thought I cleaned out the bag after a match but its pretty deep and has lots of pockets. Now have a bag dedicated to each endeavor.

I had not thought about that issue, your right probably a good idea to keep them separate. I guess my criteria is now just office bag. Thanks

Well, maybe, maybe not. You could just buy two of the same bag, if you find one you like that would suit both purposes well.

I use the big Maxpedition gearslinger for my EDC, and it would probably work great as a range bag, too.

check out Drago gear bags. I have their tracker bag that i take with me on trips and its a pretty good size bag. I just ordered a grey ghost gear lightweight assault pack for some shorter day trip and for attaching on my plate carrier. check them out, and both are way cheaper than the 5.11 bags (which are nice, but i don't think any better than the drago gear bag - i have compared them side by side)

http://www.greyghostgear.com/packs/lightweight-assault-pack-litelok

http://www.dragogear.com/products/backpacks/tracker-backpack-1.html

drago does have a new bag that is more specific for laptops. looks good too.

http://www.dragogear.com/products/backpacks/sentry-pack.html

I use a Eberlestock half track for almost everything 3 gun and it works great. Price wise, it may be a little overkill for what your looking for but it's an excellent buy once, cry once pack that's tough as nails.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5.11 Rush 72, and love it. I don't use it to carry a laptop though, and there is no special sleeve for one in the pack. Obviously it will hold a laptop, but it will not be secured in a special padded slot like most computer bags. Makes a great range / hunting bag.