Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100 Primer flip

I picked up a new RF100 for a killer deal.

I have messed with and tuned.

Currently loading a tube in approx 60-70 seconds.

For Quality not speed.

Have the BLUE adapter and set screw with about .060 gap,

so no SPEEDING UP.

BUT with Winchester WSP have about 1 to 2 per 300 that will flip up-side down

in the BLUE adapter before it drops down in to the primer tube.

Is this common?

is this a acceptable loss?

or ideas to correct?

I had 1 unflipped in my last 1000 batch.

Mine has the rheostat, or should i say the newer version that has the rheostat. Im currently set up at maybe 1/3 from 0 on the dial or maybe a little more.

I load about 4minutes each 100rds. So I have the RF100 set up on slower speed as i dont need it until im done with the current 100. Its a little noisy vibrating for the entire time but i dont mind as long as it gets its job done right.

I switch from large and small primer so i just eyeball the adjustments. No specifity. It works everytime. I didn't tune anything.

Edit to add: WInchester and Federal, small/large primers.

Edited by Torogi

I have messed with mine and even sent it back to dillon for adjustment and it also flips one or 2 per 100-300 primers. I just assumed that was the price of admission for not going crazy picking up primers in a tube. If I had to do that I think I would kill myself with one of my reloads.

J

I had one of the original 8 prototypes (no rheostat). I got fewer upside down small primers if I set the unit on a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet.

Yah forgot to mention, mine works better on a thick foam pad.

J

There are a few threads on the RF100 flipping primers. I had quite a few upside primers - so after reading several posts, I put my RF100 on a rubber computer mouse pad. Then I cut some narrow strips of scotch tape and put them on the top (inside) of the clear plastic chute that leads up to the hole where the primers drop in. The extra "thickness" seemed to keep the primers from being able to rotate over to the wrong side before dropping into the tube. FWIW - I got more upside down Federals than Winchesters. This greatly reduced the number of upside down primers.

Edited by Old Vark WSO

Mine. Will flip in the BLUE orifice.

Swallowed my racing pride and turned it down to about filling a tube in about 1 minute 45 seconds.

Only had 1 out of 600 flipped. Damn I hate that noise!!"

What does the press do when it encounters one of the upside down primers?

Does it just punch it in the case anyway and keep on going?

Yes Ray

What do you all do with the rounds where the primer is punched in upside down? You can't just punch them out because there would be a high liklehood of the primer going off. It would be just like pressing a firing pin into the primary. You can't just throw them in the trash. What do you do with them?

Worse for me because I shoot a Glock and always (if possible) use Federal primers.

I'm not bashing the RF100 - Heck - I want one. I love gadgets and the RF100 looks like a neat tool... and of course I hate picking up all the primers with a straw... I'm just afraid it will take more time to correct the rounds with the upside down primers than it would to just pick up the primers with a primer tube in the first place.

Am I missing something?

What does the press do when it encounters one of the upside down primers?

Does it just punch it in the case anyway and keep on going?

Yes Ray

What do you all do with the rounds where the primer is punched in upside down? You can't just punch them out because there would be a high liklehood of the primer going off. It would be just like pressing a firing pin into the primary. You can't just throw them in the trash. What do you do with them?

Worse for me because I shoot a Glock and always (if possible) use Federal primers.

I'm not bashing the RF100 - Heck - I want one. I love gadgets and the RF100 looks like a neat tool... and of course I hate picking up all the primers with a straw... I'm just afraid it will take more time to correct the rounds with the upside down primers than it would to just pick up the primers with a primer tube in the first place.

Definitely not. Even if I had one upside down primer in 500 rounds or so, not having to pick up the primers with Primer Pickup Tubes was my reloading dream come true!

Definitely not. Even if I had one upside down primer in 500 rounds or so, not having to pick up the primers with Primer Pickup Tubes was my reloading dream come true!

What do you do with the rounds that come out with primers pressed in upside down? Even though it might only be one round out of 500 rounds with a flipped primer, it seems like it would be difficult to deal with.

It doesn't seem like you can fix them... I don't see how you could get the primer out... and I wouldn't want to dump them in the trash... Our trash goes into an incinerator...

I guess you could rip out the bullet and dump out the powder... then through the case and primer away... dunno... that sounds a bit dodgy...

Not trying to be a jerk... Just want to figure this out before I buy one.

What do you do with the rounds that come out with primers pressed in upside down? Even though it might only be one round out of 500 rounds with a flipped primer, it seems like it would be difficult to deal with.

It doesn't seem like you can fix them... I don't see how you could get the primer out... and I wouldn't want to dump them in the trash... Our trash goes into an incinerator...

I guess you could rip out the bullet and dump out the powder... then through the case and primer away... dunno... that sounds a bit dodgy...

Not trying to be a jerk... Just want to figure this out before I buy one.

You can pull the bullet and toss the brass, or, you can gently deprime in the press. Even if you trashed all the backwards primers, it is still well worth the time savings.

when i get an upside down primer.. i pull the bullet... salvage the powder & bullet... stand the brass on end where the primer is up... put a drop of oil on the primer (any kind) oil kills primers... leave it for a day... then deprime/salvage the brass...

and i forgot... i don't deprime with my Dillon 650... i use a RCBS rockchucker set-up just for depriming...

Edited by cecil

when i get an upside down primer.. i pull the bullet... salvage the powder & bullet... stand the brass on end where the primer is up... put a drop of oil on the primer (any kind) oil kills primers... leave it for a day... then deprime/salvage the brass...

I do the exact same thing with the exception of I will salvage the brass after about an hour of oil soak. I also make sure the press is completely empty of primers before I de-prime an oil soaked live one.

I DID NOT TELL YOU THIS, but when I get upside down primers I pull the bullet dump the powder and then put the brass back in the press and SLOWLEY push the primer back out.

ALWAYS wear glasses. I even reuse the primers for practice loads.

I DID NOT TELL YOU THIS, but when I get upside down primers I pull the bullet dump the powder and then put the brass back in the press and SLOWLEY push the primer back out.

ALWAYS wear glasses. I even reuse the primers for practice loads.

I am +1 on this also!

No such thing as a unfired primer!

There are a few threads on the RF100 flipping primers. I had quite a few upside primers - so after reading several posts, I put my RF100 on a rubber computer mouse pad. Then I cut some narrow strips of scotch tape and put them on the top (inside) of the clear plastic chute that leads up to the hole where the primers drop in. The extra "thickness" seemed to keep the primers from being able to rotate over to the wrong side before dropping into the tube. FWIW - I got more upside down Federals than Winchesters. This greatly reduced the number of upside down primers.

+1 on the mouse pad. I don't have the rheostat yet two old mouse pads stacked on top of each other does the trick. I also have an in-line lamp dimmer that I can use in place of the rheostat but with the mouse pads I don't need it.

If I see that one (or more) primer has gone into the primer magazine upside down I watch the primer slide as I'm loading so that I can fix it before it gets seated in a case. When I see the upside down primer in the primer cup I pull the case out of the shell plate and push the handle forward (on a 550). Then I just use a small piece of tape to lift the primer out of the cup, flip it over and drop it back in. Slip the case back into the shell plate, seat the primer and continue loading.

Tom