Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Led cast bullets

DFritz

Hey guys,

I've heard all led cast bullets do not work in the standard Glock barrel. I use a G22 and am getting into more competition shooting and trying to get more bang for my buck. Anyone use these? And do they perform well?

• 4 weeks later...

LED (Light Emitting Diode) bullets do not work in any gun, except to light up the barrel. Now LEAD bullets, either cast or plated or coated or jacketed work well in all guns. So lead bullets thru a factory Glock barrel is risky. Lead buildup occurs rapidly, especially at velocities over 1,000 fps, and the bore diameter reduces quickly. You need to pay attention to cleaning, and it is a PITA, which is the main reason to get an aftermarket rifled barrel, much, much, easier to clean. Here is an article from Front Sight about a controlled experiment shooting lead in OEM barrels, it blew up at around 300 rounds...

image36204.jpg

image36205.jpg

image36206.jpg

• 1 month later...

I shoot lead in both my G34s but I got a LWD barrel, just to be safe. Now, you can also use lead from Bayou Bullets or SNS Castings that are "coated" & Ive shot plenty of those in my stock Glock barrel....

BTW The Bulls looked sloppy last night even w the win...63% from the FT line & way too many turnovers....it was the first game though, so we'll see...

Given all of the information out there about it being a bad idea to shoot lead out of a polygonal rifled barrel (Glock barrel) ... I would never recommend anyone to do it. Not even once. Get a good aftermarket barrel. I personally use a KKM in my Glock 24. Then you can shoot all the lead you want without the worries.

• 3 weeks later...

I know some people that do shoot lead out of factory barrel with very little leading

BUT then my buddy tried it on his 35 and within 25 rounds we seen lots of leading in the barrel

SO I think it depends on the bullet but still is not recommended out of a factory barrel

BUY A KKM