Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

vortex's-PST1-4,RAZOR HD1-4,RAZOR HD1-6

ffgats

I cant seem to decide which of these 3 Vortex to get, suggestions and experiences would be very welcome and helpfil, by the way in no way I'm well versed to powered scopes, just a few experience, my exposure is more on the red dot for pistol.

Most likely I will only be shooting from 15 to max of 200 or push a liitle further to 300 yrds.( AR 14.5 bbl) CQB and once in a while 300 yrds for precision practice.

Can you Gentlemen comment of the lens clarity, Fov, Eye Relief etc.to the 3 models

PST- like the price, but its on the SFP

RAZOR HD 1-4, FFP which I like, but big difference on price vs the PST, any comparison to clarity,Eye Relief between the 2

RAZOR HD 1-6 , SFP, more pricey, but more power,and price difference between the HD 1-4 is not much.

thanks,

Edited by ffgats

When I looked through all of them at the Vortex showroom I actually liked the EBR recticle the most of the Razor 1-4. It had great glass, but the illumination wasn't daylight bright. That was the deal breaker for me since the razor 1-6 is daylight bright. On the highest setting it's almost as bright as the light shining down on baby jesus :)

As a bit of background, I'm a user of the PST 1-4x (MOA capped turrets) and also the PST 2.5-10x SFP. In my personal experience, I've found the PST 1-4x to be very good for 250 yards and in. It also happens to be blistering fast in CQB shoot houses on 1x. Seriously, I tore it up at a tactical match with great shoot houses near Ft Bragg, NC. Only problem at that match was a serious rifle jam.

I have never had the opportunity to look through either the Razor 1-4x FFP or the 1-6. However, based on price and newer product design, I'd recommend down selecting to just the PST 1-4x (capped) and the Razor II 1-6x.

If you really won't do more than a handful of shots past 200 yards, I am not sure if the 1-6x is a good value. It's apparently an awesome scope, but you might not get the most use from it.

In my use at most Tarheel 3 Gun matches before this spring, the rifle shots were mostly inside 25 yards. A minority fraction were 50-100 yarders, then about 5 to 8 shots at 200-235 yards. 1-4x is great in that environment. I have the 2.5-10x for the longer ranges at Woody's farm based matches (reaching into the 300-400+ range).

If money were no object, then I'd look hard at the 1-6x. The reports I have read and the images I've seen captured through it impress me. And what the heck? 1-6x gives more options than 1-4x.

If I have real world concerns like buying a mount, finding/buying ammo, or investing in reloading then I'd have a hard time justifying the extra to go from 1-4x to 1-6x. Only you know your wallet and your distribution of shot distances. What about trying the 1-4x then selling it if you needed the extra magnification?

Caveat: I used to compete with two different rifles. Now I'm down to one, for simplicity . Also, I shoot Open, so I can do crazy stuff like slap on the 2.5-10x for longer range matches. And if you look at current online prices, I spent less for those two Vortex scopes than one Vortex 1-6. If I shot Tactical Optics and had 300+ yard shots each month, then I suppose I'd figure a way to pony up for the 1-6x. Seems steep to me.

I wish you the best in this decision. I remember agonizing over this myself about a year and a half ago.

We have a 16 with a burris xtr 1-4 and an 18 jp with a vortex 1-6. The xtr is quite nice, decent glass, very nice reticle, and my son has shot it out to 400 without complaint. The vortex is absolutely fantastic with superb glass and a very forgiving eyebox. If you can swing the extra money, the 1-6 will keep you happy for a very long time and do everything the pst will do and more.

I cant seem to decide which of these 3 Vortex to get, suggestions and experiences would be very welcome and helpfil, by the way in no way I'm well versed to powered scopes, just a few experience, my exposure is more on the red dot for pistol.

Most likely I will only be shooting from 15 to max of 200 or push a liitle further to 300 yrds.( AR 14.5 bbl) CQB and once in a while 300 yrds for precision practice.

Can you Gentlemen comment of the lens clarity, Fov, Eye Relief etc.to the 3 models

PST- like the price, but its on the SFP

RAZOR HD 1-4, FFP which I like, but big difference on price vs the PST, any comparison to clarity,Eye Relief between the 2

RAZOR HD 1-6 , SFP, more pricey, but more power,and price difference between the HD 1-4 is not much.

thanks,

FFP scopes are great on higher powered precision rifles but they suck on three gun low power variables. There are illumination issues. Its also difficult to design a reticle where you can use the hold offs on lower power. Get the 1-6 Vortex its the no brainer first choice.

Pat

I had the PST and it was an excellent scope. However, I now have the 1-6 and it is so much better in every way. Everything about it is geared toward 3 Gun. Get the 1-6 and you will never look back.

thanks for all your feedbacks, after reading your opinions I zeroed my option to the PST 1-4 and RAZOR 1-6, whats holding me is the price difference between the 2 scopes, this weekend my buddy will let me handle his PST and will go from there,

gonna take an ADVIL, :closedeyes:

It all depends what you will use it for and what quality glass you want to look through...

Yes, there is a big price jump from about $500 to $1300 (PST 1-4 and razor hd 1-6). Have you ever looked through razor hd 1-6? The glass is the same quality as other famous brands selling over $2000. On 1-6, the picture is totally stunning. PST 1-4, the glass is average but okay. I feel that it is easier and faster to find your hold on 1-6 when shooting 400-500 yards in the match than doing the same with 1-4. The reticle is perfect on 1-6. It is not too busy and it has just all the right things you need. Illumination dot and its settings are great and help a lot during the matches. Even though people with 1-4 are trying to downplay 6X, but 6X is much better than 4x especially on this scope. the exit pupil is very large at 6x (versus other scopes) and clarity is amazing at such magnification.

Besides matches, I also wanted to use this scope for hunting. I only shot through it at hogs at no more than 300 yards and I am happy with this scope performance in hunting too.

If you were to get a cheaper 1-4 scope now, but then later you might regret that you did not pull up all the way to 1-6. I see a bunch of folks trying to sell their 1-4s and upgrade. Don't be one of those later on. and just buy 1-6 now. Ebay authorized dealers have some great offers. That's where I got mine from.

The $1,300 price isn't what it seems. Contact Southern Guns. They are a forum dealer and they will surprise you. Talk to Omar and tell him you are a BE member, he is unbelievable to work with.

The $1,300 price isn't what it seems. Contact Southern Guns. They are a forum dealer and they will surprise you. Talk to Omar and tell him you are a BE member, he is unbelievable to work with.

+1 for Omar. Also make sure to get the switchview from him at the same time. It will save you some $$ and I think its a necessity with how stiff the power knob turns.

You will definitely need something with about 2" of offset unless you have a complete rail like a POF. I use a Warne RAMP with mine. It's a great scope. If you can afford it then get it. Have had mine about 4 months and couldn't be happier. The BDC reticle works great and the red dot is perfect size.

DSCN2006_zps5cd0f3b8.jpg

Vortex 1-6 all the way! I got to shoot Jamie Foote's (Vortex sponsored shooter) gun a few times. I can't believe how great that scope works especially at short range (yes I said short range!). I have trouble with scopes and eye dominance issues (shoot right handed but left eye dom) but could shoot the 1-6 under 50 yards just like a red dot. Most scopes I have to close my left eye but not with the Vortex 1-6.

Larue SPR-E. Scope definitely wants to be far forward.

Vortex has a dual QD mount with 3" of offset that works well and is quite a bit less expensive than the Larue and manufactured by American Defense.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with everyone else here - I have just got the 1-6 and it far exceeds my expectations - cant fault it in any way. The red dot is ample bright in sun and the BDC is so simple it hurts. Everything I wanted in a scope.

I had the chance to looked into the PST 1-4, although it was okay but the glass is not the best, cant fault Vortex for that,, considering its price range. I might be wrong but my Eotech G33 has a clearer glass.

Right now Im conditioning my brain to spend for the Razor. :devil:

Larue SPR-E. Scope definitely wants to be far forward.

Vortex has a dual QD mount with 3" of offset that works well and is quite a bit less expensive than the Larue and manufactured by American Defense.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Omar,

Hows the RTZ ( return to Zero) feature of this mount.

thanks