Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up a 627 for USPSA, what do you guys recommend...

mcb

So first up I have been looking for a reasonable 627 since the end of last year, long before I heard about the 8-shot minor stuff. I was hoping to shooting it in Production this year simply to get more revolver trigger time. Now that 8-shot Minor has a chance I am even more excited. But I have not been able to find a 627 to buy. Well, tonight I am going to look at a reasonably price Performance Center 5 inch 627-5 that a friend of mine's dad is interested in selling. Needless to say I am excited to give it a go.

I have a couple hundred 38 Specials I can use at my first club match in two weeks and shoot Limited-10 Minor since my present Cup Challenge holster is not production legal.

So... Lots of questions.

What would be a good production legal holster? Ideally I would have one setup to shoot both Production and Revolver with if that is possible within the rules.

Will my North Mountain moonclip holder be legal in Production? I know moonclip holders are exempt from the Production position rules but will the monolithic nature of that holder putting 8 moonclips on one holder be allowed in production?

What bullets are you guys loading? What are good powders to look at? My present supply of 38 special is only going to last 2-3 club matches. I will need to get dies and reloading supplies.

Is going to 38 Short Colt worth the effort? I suspect I can't reload 38 Short Colt with 38 special / 357 Magnum dies?

Moonclips, I have always used Ranch Product moonclips with my 610 and 625. How are they for the 627? How much better are the Hearthco? I suspect moonclip are going to be more finicky with 627 and 38/357 cases than they are with 45ACP and 40S&W.

Any other advice is always appreciated.

Regular ol ' Blade Tech Holster would be both legal in Production and Revo Division, Though - If just interested in Revo division you pretty much dont have any restrictions as far as holsters go.

As far as I know the north mountian moonclip holder is good for production, I use a james austin moonclip server - may be worth looking into if you like that style.

The 160 grain variety of bullets will probably be most popular for making minor.

I'm just starting to dabble in 38 short colt myself, so cant help you there - alot of the icore guys seem to like using them though

Yes, the hearthcos are worth the money, dont bother with the cheapy ranch ones - spend the money and be happy with them. they are a must have for the 627

edit:

you'll also might want to look into getting your cylinder charing holes chamfered for faster reloads

Edited by alecmc

The thicker moon clips offer a much better reload, just keep in mind they only fit particular brands of brass. I use Remington brass with mine, Winchester will not work.

What brand of brass you you already have?

Thanks guys. Who make round nose "38 Super Style" bullet 0.357" diameter?

Roger Better Bullets, Xtreme Bullets, Billy Bullets there are a number of brands out there it just depends on what weight and if you want lead, moly or poly coated, plated or jacketed. If you find a bullet in .358 you like just buy a lee sizing die at .357 and a cheap single stage press and resize. That is what I currently do now.

Step 1) Determine the length of brass you wish to use. Short colt, Long colt, .38special or wildcat cartridge .38medium(.900). Each has its pros and cons. the shorts are fast even for the newest of shooters. The shorter the round the less flop you will get no matter what clip you use. The long colts are virtually the same length of a .38special so not much gain. .38specials are cheap and readily available. I switched from shorts to long colts so that I could make some mediums (.900) length one day. (I know Carmony's eyes are rolling, as he thinks .900's are a huge waist of time. He is usually right but I am not as bright as he is. :) )

.900 mediums are .38super length that has all the advantage of shorts without the overpressure case, that combined with a big heavy bullet can cause a tight extraction. No matter which road you go down, complete step one before considering step 2.

Step 2) determine which head-stamp you are going to use. Don't be afraid to spend a little money to get good stuff, you will get it all back. Clips need to match the brass. There are a multitude of different .38special grooves. The groove for each manufacturer will vary. Short colts, Long colts, or Specials all share the same specs, except for the length and groove. There is no SAMI specification on the groove in specials. So buy clips made for your brass's groove width and depth.

Step 3) Budget for clips. A great reload will make or break your match. Fumbling around is no fun and you will not be winning if you do. Hearthco makes the most accurately cut clips I have ever used for starline brass in .38specials. Any properly doped EDM cut clip should serve well. Cutting with EDM is what makes the cost so high. The Ranch and www.RevolverSupply.com clips are cut many at a time with a stamping press. They typically in the past have not carried the same tolerances. I have seen shooters using brass (other than starline) have good results with other brand clips. Yesterday, I just received some hot off the press clips from RevolverSupply.com They sent me both .020 and .025 thick clips. I slipped some starlines in the .025 and was impressed. They appear fragile, but if they preform as well as hearthco's, I will buy more. I already own everything to straighten clips and have had good success straightening clips. At $8 each you don't have to have too many bent ones to justify the cost for straightening gizmos. Budget for enough clips to make it through your entire match day. Revolversupply.com also sells a chamber checker for the moons. Get one (or two). Its the only way to verify everything you put on your rack will slip into the cylinder at the range.

Step 4) Most every supply house I use has a .357/.358 RN bullets available. Berry's , Billy's, Bear Creek, Bayou Bullets, Xtreme, gosh,....everyone does. I like large bullets, fast powder. My current load is 170gn. moly with S1000. Visit the reloading area for more load data. I also published all my .38 Short, &long, colt as well as .38super ICORE data on www.revo-nation.com .

You already may know some or all what I said, I just wanted to be thorough for non-revolver readers who are thinking of diving in. I own half a dozen 8shot revolvers. The first gun is the easy part. Its all the rest of the stuff that will nickel dime you to death.

Edited by Ty Hamby

Most of the 38 Super bullets you will find will be .356". Those with reasonably long bearing surfaces will be accurate. Montana Gold makes a 142-gr. bullet with a rounded pointy nose in .357". This is the bullet I will be shooting in my 8-shot revolvers over the next few years.

I switched from shorts to long colts so that I could make some mediums (.900) length one day. (I know Carmony's eyes are roleing as he thinks .900's are a huge waist of time. I am not as bright as he is. :) ).

Ty, Ty, Ty, Ty....... :rolleyes:

:D

You can use your holster and moonclip holder in the same place you normally do. You are not required to conform to the location of the holster or ammo holder in the appendix. I like the Safariland 002 for my 627s. If you decide to shoot ICORE later and want to shoot open the Safariland will also work with a dot mounted.

Step 3) Budget for clips. A great reload will make or break your match. Fumbling around is no fun and you will not be winning if you do. Hearthco makes the most accurately cut clips I have ever used for starline brass in .38specials. Any properly doped EDM cut clip should serve well. Cutting with EDM is what makes the cost so high. The Ranch and www.RevolverSupply.com clips are cut many at a time with a stamping press. They typically in the past have not carried the same tolerances. I have seen shooters using brass (other than starline) have good results with other brand clips. Yesterday, I just received some hot off the press clips from RevolverSupply.com They sent me both .020 and .025 thick clips. I slipped some starlines in the .025 and was impressed. They appear fragile, but if they preform as well as hearthco's, I will buy more. I already own everything to straighten clips and have had good success straightening clips. At $8 each you don't have to have too many bent ones to justify the cost for straightening gizmos. Budget for enough clips to make it through your entire match day. Revolversupply.com also sells a chamber checker for the moons. Get one (or two). Its the only way to verify everything you put on your rack will slip into the cylinder at the range.

the .025 revolver supply clips with remington or federal headstamps are excellent.

carbon steel sticks to magnets on my belt very well...

the .025 revolver supply clips with remington or federal headstamps are excellent.

carbon steel sticks to magnets on my belt very well...

x2 I just picked up 100 of his .025 clips and they work pretty good, not as tight as hearthco but pretty good- hopefully even better when I get my star line 38 short colt brass in

x2 I just picked up 100 of his .025 clips and they work pretty good, not as tight as hearthco but pretty good- hopefully even better when I get my star line 38 short colt brass in

I find them to be considerably looser on my starline headstamps, you will likely see the same. I have a trimmer setup on the bench and am knocking down rem and fed headstamps , though I was informed that hearthco has some new carbon steel ones for starline. I got some of TK's carbon ones but the centers are round and have so much magnet contact that I can't reliably get them off the magnet.

I find them to be considerably looser on my starline headstamps, you will likely see the same. I have a trimmer setup on the bench and am knocking down rem and fed headstamps , though I was informed that hearthco has some new carbon steel ones for starline. I got some of TK's carbon ones but the centers are round and have so much magnet contact that I can't reliably get them off the magnet.

Just to be clear to all, I was referring to their newly released "premium" titled moon clips from www.RevolverSupply.com. The clips are stamped with the number "25" on one of the tines. They have .020, .022, .025 thick clips for your .38 brass. For me and the time being, cant beat EDM cut clips. Apex recently acquired an EDM machine. Good times soon.

Edited by Ty Hamby

Just to be clear to all, I was referring to their newly released "premium" titled moon clips from www.RevolverSupply.com. The clips are stamped with the number "25" on one of the tines. They have .020, .022, .025 thick clips for your .38 brass. For me and the time being, cant beat EDM cut clips. Apex recently acquired an EDM machine. Good times soon.

yup. Those are the ones I'm taking about. Just got them in earlier this week

likewise. I have asked george about making some that are .027 or .028 thick....

likewise. I have asked george about making some that are .027 or .028 thick....

if the starlines are as loose as you say they are I'd be in for some thicker clips too.

Keep me updated if he makes a batch

First thing, thanks for all the great replies!

Next thing pics, Here she in the newest member of my growing N-frame family.

sw627a.jpg

sw627b.jpg

nfamily.jpg

Most of my brass at present is Remington although that only amounts to about 500-600 pcs. I presently only have 13 moonclips that came with the gun. They are 0.025 thick and seem to hold the R-P brass pretty tights. Good enough to get it sighted in and shoot a club match or two. I have to think about if I want to splurge for Star Line (if they ever get some in stock) or start scrounging for a good source of once fired R-P or Federal. For now I am going to stay with 38 Special brass. Might have to try a small batch of both the Hearthco and RevolverSupply just to see if the HearthCo are worth the price. It seem since Winchester requires thinner clips I will just avoid those if I can given the 0.025 already seem pretty frail compared to my 625 moonclips

Thanks for all the bullet suggestions now to find someone with some in stock! :D

I still have a lot to figure out, especially getting a load worked up once I select a bullet. I will certainly be back to ask more questions. None the less I figure I have plenty of time to get this all setup before the BOD gives the thumbs up or down on 8-shot Minor. Thanks Gang!