Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much to keep?

jaffo

Now that it "SEEMS" like things are getting better, how much should a person keep around of components?

Where is the line between "stocked up" and "hoarding"?

I would try and estimate what u shoot in a year for practice and comp... And at minimum keep a years supply on hand. That's not hoarding cause you'll shoot that up in not time. I'm trying to get a 2 year back stock going

At one point, I was going through 4000 rounds a month so it was basically buy 3 cases at a time, 4 times a year.

I'm glad I don't shoot that much as I'd be very depressed not being able to get the components.

I am now comfortable with 6 months worth.

I try to buy a year's worth of whatever at a time, but of course how much I shoot in a year varies. I guesstimate, and when I get down to what appears to be a few months worth remaining I then buy another year's worth of whatever that may be. This is coming from somebody who shoots a lot less than the majority of folks on this site. I was told by one competitor that he bought once a year... enough for 50,000 rounds. That's why he's on his way to GM, and I'm not!

Just look at what your needs are and don't worry about what others think about it.

Edited by jkrispies

This time I was pretty well off for the primers and powder, but not the bullets. I did not expect that big a shortage on those, especially pistol. Going to have to do a better job of keeping ahead on those I guess.

This time I was pretty well off for the primers and powder, but not the bullets. I did not expect that big a shortage on those, especially pistol. Going to have to do a better job of keeping ahead on those I guess.

+1. Bullets, and .22lr.

I've always tried to keep at least a year's supply. This time around it felt like things were getting bad so I've slowed down on my shooting. Other issues slowed down my shooting even further. So now I have closer to two years components in the garage.

When things calm down, I will probably practice more but also stock up better.

The big surprise was .22LR ammo. I've got plenty stockpiled but at current prices and availability, I hate to shoot it up. If it gets back to under a nickle a round, I will make sure I have more than enough. (a lot more)

Bill

I did the same thing, slowed down my shooting since I couldn't replace the ammo. My shooting level varies greatly depending on activity level of my children but if I hadn't slowed down, I would have been in desperate shape.