Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Split times with Glocks

Nimitz

I almost hate to ask this question since I'm the first one to tell people that their equipment isn't usually their problem, it's their technique ...... But ....

With a Glock set up for Production is it really possible to get sub .2 sec splits given the relatively long pre-travel,over-travel and reset on a Production Glock?

Part of why I'm asking is that over the last 2 weeks of focusing on splits I've managed to get mine down to .24 pretty quickly but can't seem to even get close to .2 no matter what I do

Maybe a couple of weeks just isn't long enough but I would have thought I would at least pull it of once ...

If someone has a video of someone doing it that would prove to me it's possible and I just need to work harder ...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends...

On wide open close targets i can run .15/.16 splits with a 3.5 pound trigger. We are talking five yards and in keeping everything in the A zone.

You have to refine your question a little more. What distance are we talking about here and what target type?

The gun is NOT holding you back...

With a stock trigger .25 splits are fine. Pull up a video of Dave or Bob shooting their Glocks, turn up the speakers and turn on your iphone shot timer. They are not splitting under .2 very often, if at all, and are winning majors.

That said, an overtravel screw in the trigger housing did help me be more consistent and slightly reduce my splits.

I was hoping for non anecdotal data ... if someone wants to shoot a Bill Drill & show the camera their timer I won't bring this up again ...

I also have a trigger with an over travel set screw set at the min distance so the safeties still work.

I'll have to try it with my regular shot timer as I don't own a smart phone ... :)

My main reason for asking was to find out if there is still more to be done here or if I could check this one off and move on to other areas that need my attention ...

I'll have to try it with my regular shot timer as I don't own a smart phone ... :)

My main reason for asking was to find out if there is still more to be done here or if I could check this one off and move on to other areas that need my attention ...

For me, working on splits might be something I do when I make Master. :) I am leaving so much more out there on draws, reloads, transitions and footwork, each accounting for 5 to 7% of my HF reductions, that 2% by dropping my splits 0.05 is last on my list.

completely agree. however, up until recently my splits were really slow on things straight forward things like El Pres. I finally figured out how to fix that and now that I have I just want to be sure it's good enough ... which it certainly sounds like it is. Transitions are next on my list along with moving reloads.

bone stock Glock 31 - .16s and .17s. 125gr JHP @ 1320 fps.

The equipment is not the problem.

Hmm, just ran that video and I was getting about 0.26 splits on average. Nothing under 0.2 and a long of 0.35...

bone stock Glock 31 - .16s and .17s. 125gr JHP @ 1320 fps.

The equipment is not the problem.

Hmm, just ran that video and I was getting about 0.26 splits on average. Nothing under 0.2 and a long of 0.35...

You can get shot timers to work on computer speakers? I can't. :(

But the CED7000 said they were all in the teens at the time. :unsure:

and, no sadly, they were not all A hits.

Edited by Racer377

You can get shot timers to work on computer speakers? I can't. :(

Yep, Shot Timer Pro on my Android. I play the video, set the shot parameters, replay the video. Gives a shot count and split of every shot in a table. Very cool.

For me, working on splits might be something I do when I make Master. :) I am leaving so much more out there on draws, reloads, transitions and footwork, each accounting for 5 to 7% of my HF reductions, that 2% by dropping my splits 0.05 is last on my list.

.05 reduction in a 200 round match assuming 75 splits because steels only get 1 shot = 3.75 seconds... not exactly what I would call low hanging fruit...

I guess I should amend my original statement. What I meant to ask was sub .2 splits with A zone hits. Basically a STD Bill Drill at 7 yds. Super fast splits don't mean a whole lot to me if the requisite accuracy is not there. Who knows, even I might be capable of sub .2 splits if all As were not a req't ...

I've shot more 0.15s splits with a glock than I can count. That was my regular "fast split". That was were I would settle in...almost religiously...on 8y Bill Drills while shooting a fist sized group in the A-zone. I've clocked a few at 0.11s, but not many.

If you are running 0.25s then you are likely tense...especially in the stong hand when you encounter recoil. I'd prescribe more weak hand grip, allowing the strong hand to be be more loose for the trigger. I always liked to cam the support hand quite a bit.

that's why I almost didn't post this question because I wasn't planning to spend a lot of training time on lowering my splits below .25; I was more just curious what was possible given the mechasnics of a Glock trigger & how fast the top GMs could shoot a production Glock ...

sub .20 and keeping them in A at 7yd is easily doable with a stock Glock.

In my video above, I wasn't because, in part, it was my first outing with the Glock after shooting CZs exclusively for about a year, and also because each shot was taking a small chunk out of the web of my hand. Excuses, excuses, I know. But it's certainly possible. I don't have any other video, but I assure you it can be done.

that's why I almost didn't post this question because I wasn't planning to spend a lot of training time on lowering my splits below .25; I was more just curious what was possible given the mechasnics of a Glock trigger & how fast the top GMs could shoot a production Glock ...

I have held the clock on a few that were under 0.15 in a major match and Kyle's 0.11 equals the fastest I have ever seen on a timer in a match. I do wonder what Pat Kelley's and Taran Butler's fastest Glock splits were.

Flex: I'm sure that's my issue and I've been working with my grip to try and relax my strong hand a bit. Still having a little trouble figuring out the right balance though. When shooting the plate rack as long as I maintain my normal strong hand grip I'm fine but as soon as I relax a bit I miss which I assume means I'm not compensating enough with more weak hand grip?

classes aren't an issue for me ... I have been training with Mike Seeklander for the past 2 years & took a class from Steve Anderson this past March as well ... of course we were working on a lot of other things besides being able to shoot fast splits ...

completely agree. however, up until recently my splits were really slow on things straight forward things like El Pres. I finally figured out how to fix that and now that I have I just want to be sure it's good enough ... which it certainly sounds like it is. Transitions are next on my list along with moving reloads.

To paraphrase everyone else, you're doing it wrong :devil: . Work on the movement and transitions first, then worry about the splits.

Flex: I'm sure that's my issue and I've been working with my grip to try and relax my strong hand a bit. Still having a little trouble figuring out the right balance though. When shooting the plate rack as long as I maintain my normal strong hand grip I'm fine but as soon as I relax a bit I miss which I assume means I'm not compensating enough with more weak hand grip?

It sounds like you are gripping mostly with the strong hand. Whenever I talk grip I am always spending my time talking about the support hand.

yeah, when I focus on squeezing with the fingers of my weak hand everything is good. I can put 2 shots into a quarter size area on a 10 yd target with splits of around .3 but when I don't I get A/C hits with the 2nd shot being a C center-left ...

I need to keep remembering that "more weak hand grip" means squeezing harder, not pushing harder with the palm of my weak hand which is what I thought it meant for a long time ...