Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UPS Delivery Times

EricW

I ordered a heap o' stuff from the East Coast last Wednesday. It shipped first thing Thursday AM (bless my vendor's peapickin' little heart). I HATE that it won't be here until freaking FRIDAY! If USPS shipping would have been an option, I would have had my stuff already.

Yes, UPS provides automated label printers and does ship stuff the USPS refuses to, but aside from that, why do they even exist anymore? How did we ever end up where stuff got done faster and cheaper by the government?

I talked to a DHL driver today. I was asking about their policy on shipping handguns. He said that his boss told him they do not do that and they recommend UPS for that. That seems kind of strange to me. I'll have to investigate further.

Ray

FedEx and USPS do have some sort of strategic alliance. Notice all the FedEx pickup boxes in and around USPS office lately? I had also heard that FedEx is moving mail for USPS as well.

Fricking UPS has gone the route that Ground is 7 - 10 days, period. I had something shipped from W. OR to me here in E. WA a few months ago. Figured UPS ground would be 3 days at most. Wrong. 7 days. Notice how UPS doesn't give you as much detail in the online tracking anymore? They don't want you to see your package sitting for days on end at some warehouse. They WANT you to buy up to the faster shipping rates.

UPS pissed me off during their stupid strike and I refused to have stuff shipped by them for a couple years.

FedEx Ground however makes UPS look good. 15 days from N. CA to E. WA. They made 1 delivery attempt on day 10 but no one was home. There was a signed message on the door with instructions to leave it on the porch. They didn't. They then waited another 5 days before attempting delivery again because my town (pop around 1002 depending on how many were born/died today) is "out of the way and we don't go through there very often".

FedEx does indeed handle virtually all First Class and Express Mail for USPS. Fortunately, the mail is sorted by USPS and not FedEx or nobody would EVER get their mail

I wish DHL would handle firearms. I'd love to have a shipping alternative to the big 2.

Many of the airlines also carry USPS mail.

The USPS seems like it is contracting out most of its mail transport and delivery. Fedex and airlines carry the interstate mail, and when is the last time you saw a mail Jeep and a person in uniform deliver the mail.

I sent a holster from Oregon, via USPS, to another forum member in Ohio on a Thursday; he received it and sent back a check that came in to my mailbox SATURDAY of the same week!

On that same Thursday, I ordered an “in stock” item from Pennsylvania, it shipped that same day UPS and I didn’t see it for a week!

Too bad about DHL, I had high hopes… :angry::(

Ed

EricW,

I don't share your FedEx belief. If I go to my local UPS store I can't ship a handgun. But I can ship it FedEx 2nd day from the same UPS Store. I shipped a gun to Brian Hawley in Oregon 2nd Day air that was signed for the next day.

The main problem with UPs & FedEx is that they each have main hub terminals that packages go through which may be 100's of miles in a different direction from where it is coming from/going to. The package to Brian went to Salt Lake City before going to Portland.

Here in Montana, 90% of my firearm related purchases are via the internet because there are only 2 sporting goods stores in town and the next closest is 90 miles away. Whenever possible I ask to have items shipped USPS Priority Mail which has always been cheaper than UPS or FedEx and is also faster.

I've had EXCELLENT luck with USPS for both sending and receiving as it applies to eBay transactions. My buyers are starting to use the term "lightening-fast shipping" in their feedbacks and all I use is the postal service. USPS priority mail--though higher in price than regular rates--is awesome: Send Cactus Tactical a CD of their artwork order on last Saturday and it was in his hands (and Matt Burkett's) Monday morning. Even regular rate shipping is speedy and not at all expensive. The Gov'ment wins THIS round, I'm afraid. Their TRACKING system is inadequate, however; whereas FedEx tracking is quite detailed... and often delivered ahead of estimated arrival time.

At least this has been MY experience....... ;)

"...and when is the last time you saw a mail Jeep and a person in uniform deliver the mail."

Just this afternoon I walked out to the street and picked up my mail when the postman put it in the box from his Jeep. Although I have shipped no guns, I have had excellent service from USPS, UPS and FedEx.

Just lucky I guess.

dj