Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Would it take to get IDPA/ICORE 6-shot Revolvers in USPSA

COF

While this may be close to Nik's poll topic, I'd like to hear what it would take from the 6-shot minor audience to get them to compete in USPSA with these wheelguns.

Please stay on topic

Give MDs the ability to split REVO into two officially recognized categories - Moonclipped and Speedloader. That way the the MD only has to recognize them and absorb the cost of another trophy/etc if there are enough competitors and the guys running the speedloaders won't feel like they can't compete with the moonclipped guns at a major match.

I shoot both moons and jets,for myself the power factor is the big difference.shooting major in a 4 inch requires more sight acquisition

time between shots which is made up in the moon clip reload.While in the minor with my 686 my time between shots is automatic,while you have to mindfull in your reloads,because a hiccup at that point is devastating .The issue to me is calling the 7 shot on a fellow competitor in the course of fire.

for local matches its going to take them just showing up and having fun..

as far as the special recognition. Sam always recognized the speedloader winner as a special category at the MCC. I don't think its against the rules, I think the MD can do that if they want to.

Power factor could be an issue for guys that don't reload, but if you reload there isn't much of an excuse.

Those that want to shoot revolver will.. those that don't.... well they will shoot something else....

Why is Power Factor really an issue? The Minor floor is 125, so any ICORE shooter should be able to shoot Minor with little or no change. And ICORE's scoring is much more stringent that USPSA scoring so the "Must hit As" factor shouldn't be a big issue either.

While this may be close to Nik's poll topic, I'd like to hear what it would take from the 6-shot minor audience to get them to compete in USPSA with these wheelguns.

Please stay on topic

My guess is that allowing 8 shot revolvers would be a huge disincentive to 6 shot minor shooters if they had to compete directly against them

all that is required is the effort to get the revo out of the safe, blow the dust off and go shoot it at a USPSA match.

Dude, you gotta get a better safe!

for local matches its going to take them just showing up and having fun..

as far as the special recognition. Sam always recognized the speedloader winner as a special category at the MCC. I don't think its against the rules, I think the MD can do that if they want to.

Power factor could be an issue for guys that don't reload, but if you reload there isn't much of an excuse.

Those that want to shoot revolver will.. those that don't.... well they will shoot something else....

Why is Power Factor really an issue? The Minor floor is 125, so any ICORE shooter should be able to shoot Minor with little or no change. And ICORE's scoring is much more stringent that USPSA scoring so the "Must hit As" factor shouldn't be a big issue either.

For the IDPA guys who shoot the speedloader guns the power factor is 105. As ChrisC points out; making 125 with factory .38 special can be a challenge for those that don't reload. IDPA lowered the power floor because of this and ICORE waives the chrono requirement all together for those who shoot specific factory loads. Still, at least for getting started, I don't think this will affect too many as most local matches aren't going to chrono anyway and, I am sure, would love to have some new members come out to shoot regardless of their ammo's power factor.

I would think one way to get some crossover shooters is to become a crossover shooter yourself. Shoot the local IDPA match, shoot the ICORE match (if there is one) and talk up your local USPSA match while you do it. Thats right, become a mole.

-ld

Because major revolver hurts hands.

I've shot 1 match using my SSR gun wanting the pratice using my IDPA pf ammo and I couldn't knock down most of the steel unless I shot it really high other then that I had a blast I did have to run all over to get my brass and speedloaders. Since then I've went and put a 5' barrel on my 625 and joined USPSA and in a couple weeks will shoot my first match as a member

I crossover shoot as much as possible, using the same ammo for ICORE, USPSA, and Steel Challenge. IDPA won't let me shoot. They say I am too long. The biggest issue is the lack of ICORE when and where I can get to it.

However, I shot USPSA Revolver MAJOR with both a .38 Special and a .45 ACP and never found it to be an issue with the proper grips.