Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MatchMaster completed! My journey into the world of 2011's.

mike g35

I FINALLY got my STI MatchMaster set up the way I want. I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me getting this project off the ground. It's definitely been a journey with a pretty large learning curve, especially for a guy that's used to shooting open with a Glock. I bought a STI MatchMaster from the guys at Shooters Connection, I then found out I would have to replace all the internals in the 140mm mag I had and do the same for the complete 170mm 9mm mag I bought from Top Gun supply. So I ordered the parts for two 140mm mags (STI 140mm tubes, Dawson +1 basepads, Grams guts, SC Hardy spacers) in an attempt to learn how to tune my mags. I'm still working on this particular issue. I also found out that I needed to change my extractor due to my brass hitting the mount that came with the gun, so I did, I got an Aftec and installed it. Then in an attempt to further cure my ejection issue I bought a Cheely 90 degree mount, which I couldn't use because it was about .00001 from my slide. I finally settled on a Cheely RTS mount and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. It's been a learning process to say the least, but I'm extremely happy I did it.

So since all you guys have been helping me a figured the least I could do was share a pic or two with you and tell you what I ended up doing to my gun. I have a Dawson lo-pro mag button coming to replace the Ed Brown I have on currently, a Dawson ext firing pin, a 5" STI guiderod, a STI reverse plug (5"), a Dawson Shock buff, and some ISMI springs (7,8,9). I decided to change from the RecoilMaster to a standard RSA, I figured that would allow me to further tune the gun to my loads plus the RecoilMaster is a pain in the butt to deal with. It's easier to change springs than to change your entire RSA. I also have (or have on the way) 3 140mm tubes and 1 170mm tube, Grams springs and followers (1 13 coil, 3 11 coil), 4 Dawson +1 basepads (not SNL), and Hardy spacers (1 170, 3 140's).

So, what do you guys think? Without taking into account my mags still need tuned what do y'all think about the gun? Anything I should know or is there anything you guys suggest?

Thanks again for all your help!!!! :)

post-33708-0-31172700-1372448130_thumb.j

post-33708-0-42063300-1372448158_thumb.j

All that's left to do besides finding someone to tune my mags is a trigger job (I'd like to get it down to 2#), having the trigger guard undercut, having the frame textured, refinishing the grip, and maybe adding a racker. :)

All that's left to do besides finding someone to tune my mags is a trigger job (I'd like to get it down to 2#), having the trigger guard undercut, having the frame textured, refinishing the grip, and maybe adding a racker. :)

I'd suggest the Dawson tuning kit to help you work your mags unless you're looking for exotic capacity. It won't make 31 round 170s but I've had great success making reliable reloadable 28 170s and 23 140s (Dawson +1 and SNLs respectively) with ease.

-424D57

I'd suggest the Dawson tuning kit to help you work your mags unless you're looking for exotic capacity. It won't make 31 round 170s but I've had great success making reliable reloadable 28 170s and 23 140s (Dawson +1 and SNLs respectively) with ease. -424D57
I'm definitely not worried about a couple extra rounds. If I can get the normal capacity and get the mags to run reliably I'll be happy.

Took the gun out to the range today to sight it in and test. The gun & mags worked flawlessly. It's an accurate little booger to, and its EASY to shoot. Here's a pic of a target set out at 11 yards, 10 shots rapid fire (not double taps, just shooting fast).

post-33708-0-82036700-1372529303_thumb.j

Just a little update. I shot the MM today in competition. The gun and mags both work 100% now. Now if I could just get someone with some skill to drive this beast I'd be GTG. LOL ;)

Skill will come with practice and experience glad ya diggin the blaster how'd you do?

I was rushing everything so not as well as I should have. I've gotta get used to the 2011 platform. Coming from Glocks to something like a 2011 is a huge (and very much welcome) change. I like the 2011 so much I decided to sell my open and limited Glocks and buy another one. Some guns are built with competition in mind, like the 2011, some are built for "tactical use" like the Glock. I'm glad I finally figured out which to use where. :) Edited by mike g35

Nice job.

For future referrence it is the ejector that needs to be tuned to keep the brass from hitting your scope mount not the extractor. You did the right thing by going to the Aftec extractor, it will eliminate any possible extraction problems you could run into in the future.

I was rushing everything so not as well as I should have. I've gotta get used to the 2011 platform. Coming from Glocks to something like a 2011 is a huge (and very much welcome) change. I like the 2011 so much I decided to sell my open and limited Glocks and buy another one. Some guns are built with competition in mind, like the 2011, some are built for "tactical use" like the Glock. I'm glad I finally figured out which to use where. :)

I did the same thing when I switched over to an edge for limited. Then again when I went to open a few months ago. I still have the occasional off day but since getting used to the dot being my friend, I have improved. Ya got the tools use em.

Lets get some videos I'd like to see the MM in action.

Edited by kosh79

I was rushing everything so not as well as I should have. I've gotta get used to the 2011 platform. Coming from Glocks to something like a 2011 is a huge (and very much welcome) change. I like the 2011 so much I decided to sell my open and limited Glocks and buy another one. Some guns are built with competition in mind, like the 2011, some are built for "tactical use" like the Glock. I'm glad I finally figured out which to use where. :)

I did the same thing when I switched over to an edge for limited. Then again when I went to open a few months ago. I still have the occasional off day but since getting used to the dot being my friend, I have improved. Ya got the tools use em.

Lets get some videos I'd like to see the MM in action.

My next match with the MatchMaster is gonna be the ProAm in FL. I'll have tons of bad shooting videos after that match. LOL

What load are you using for your MM?

7.2gr of WAC, 124gr Montana Gold CMJ, OAL 1.170, mixed brass, Federal small pistol primers. I'm making major (170pf) out of the short barrel with that load and the gun runs pretty flat. Recoil isn't harsh at all. 100% reliable. Edited by mike g35

BTW I changed out the recoil master yesterday for a STI 5" guiderod, ISMI 9# spring, and a STI reverse plug. Added a Dawson aluminum Shock Buff for good measure. Thought I'd try a new recoil system that would allow me to tune the gun a bit. I also switched my firing pin to a Dawson Hyper Drive. Faster lock time? We'll see, I'm not sure I'm fast enough that it matters though. LOL

I also changed the Ed Brown button to a Dawson Lo-Pro. No extension just a little bit bigger button to help with dropping mags. The EB button was too long, made me worry about dropping mags inadvertently.

Edited by mike g35

Well I guess you could say I've went STI crazy. I'm ordering a full size Trubor tomorrow from Shooters Connection. I wanna see what I think of a full size open gun compared to my shorty. :)

Welcome to the " Dark Side " congrats on a sharp blaster.

thanks!!! It's nice on the dark side, I think I'm gonna like it here. :)

My Trubor was ordered from Shooters Connection this morning. You can bet its not gonna stay stock very long. Some parts are on the way and that's only the beginning. Next up? A full custom build. :)

my question is do you all test for accuracy at 10 yards? or 25 ? with a red dot i would think 25 but i may be wrong ?

I'm no expert but what I do is I do my basic sighting in at a close range, 10 yards or so, then I make sure I'm getting good hits out to 25. If not I fine tune at that range. I also shoot double taps at close range (3-7 yards) and see where my second shot is hitting. That'll kind if tell you how flat your gun is really running. EKUJustice gave me alot of good tips and info on this. And there's a ton of info about here I'm sure if you search. That's just what I do. Is it "correct"? Don't know, but it seems to work for me.