Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier trouble

Blujay291

Last Sunday I was shooting the best match of my life. Times and hits were with the best a/m shooters at my club. It turned out the classifier was the sixth and final stage of the day and I was happy about that because I had very positive momentum rolling. So, I do my pre stage routine and have it locked in, then the buzzer BLAH!!!! I broke two extra shots on a Virginia count stage with two mikes!!! What happened, and I'm posting because I've done this before, when it counts I choke. I guess I'm asking for tips on how to keep myself composed during a classifier so I don't shoot D scores or worse when I'm capable of A/B scores? Is it all mental, where do my fundamentals go, I'm lost, anyway thanks in advance for replies!

One of the hardest things to do is not care too much or try too hard. A lot of classifiers are 3 target arrays. Dry fire practice with a similar array and it will seem familiar come match day.

If you'll pardon the pun .... Stop trying to classify things .... First stage, last stage, long targets, short targets, hard targets, easy targets, blah, blah, blah ....

Flex already gave you the best advice you're ever going to get, don't think about anything, just shoot alphas

Don't expect to shoot it well. Or not. Just shoot it. Just another stage. Sometimes its hard when you are in the groove and realize how well you are shooting, to just accept it and not expect it.

Ive been there. It seems of late though that our squad always seems to start on the classifier stage and i always EFF it up. Definately a mental thing for me.

In the bright side i have snuck in a good classifier score one week and bomb on one the next week which is telling me that i am getting there mentally, just now i need to be consistant.

Im now working on the mental side of this sport and its more challenging, but it still tremendous amounts of fun.

Ya it's a mental thing for me. I think myself out of good fundamentals and start throwing rounds all over the place then mid stage realize how jerky I am I try to overcompensate and make it worse! Good advise here, treat it as just a few more A's to hit.

I just keep messing them up. I'm ok with it, get accused of bagging at every match! Truthfully, i dont want my classifier scores to reflect something i cannot Consistently reproduce in a match.

I just keep messing them up. I'm ok with it, get accused of bagging at every match! Truthfully, i dont want my classifier scores to reflect something i cannot Consistently reproduce in a match.

If you develop a mindset to shoot Alphas you will see your consistency improve as well, I beleive.

If you develop a mindset to shoot Alphas you will see your consistency improve as well, I beleive.

I am shooting a lot of A's. On some stages I will become lackadaisical and allow the C's to pile up. I feel as though I do not give classifiers the attention that they need/deserve. Part of this is due to the reason I stated previously. The rest comes down to my mental game. I know that I can shoot A's, quickly. I make small mistakes which deprive me of a faster time to divide those A's with.

I had a friend who put up classifier type stages for a few months as his contribution to the war effort. (Those willing to design/set-up/tear-down a stage) Only those shooters who practiced much really did well on his stages. Simple stages that are straight-forward and concentrate on accuracy at distance, or weak-hand shooting will weed out many who spray and pray rather than shoot all alphas. it is cool to see revo shooters who really shine and place well in the classifier often it is shooting for points and smooth technique that will result in better placing. If you make shooting As your thing, don't rush the speed you will shoot well. I bet if you really think about it you felt more rushed thinking about that score going to Sedro.

It's not a classifier. It is just another stage of Alphas to collect. Shoot Alphas.

This is some hard sayings right here. Whole books are hidden in just those 2 sentences. Hard sayings indeed.

Now, are those sentences hard to do, or,.....are they so simplistic they just can't be the answer? The answer is anything but that, right??

Flex is so right I bet he gets tired of dispensing the info. It is that simple, I've read this advice for 7 years and figured it was anything but right, just too simple. Ahhhhhhh the years I wasted!!!!!

Lets cut some time off this curve and BELIEVE. Just believe the statements, now where do we go. My name is Chris Iliff and I believe. I believe so much that I'm going to make collecting alphas my modus operandi! First I gotta see, I gotta see everything. Once I can see my sight lift, then I can collect my alphas. This is the ticket. There are plenty of drills to see the sights lift. Berm shooting and Bill drills come to mind. Over and over again until you know you are SEEING. This is where it starts shooting wise.

Mentally you better get some Lanny Bassham or Saul Kirsch. I'd also advise a positive outlook. In addition, quit imprinting all the negatives by acknowledging them, dwelling on them, talking about them, marinating in them. The mental game is simple and boils down to allowing nothing but positive influences and messages to shape our thoughts.

Quick story I read. Jack Nicklaus in his prime plays a lesser major and has a bad outing. The following week he wins a major and a reporter, who happened to see him the previous week, asked " how'd you overcome your defeat and terrible play from last week, especially all those missed putts"? Jack replied, "I didn't miss any putts last week", reporter says "yes you did, I saw you miss." This goes on a couple times, you missed putts. No I didn't, yes, no, yes, no, yes, and finally Jack steps in and in a stern voice says, "I have never missed a putt"

It took me a long time to realize how awesome a message this is. There it is, from a champion. No matter what, never imprint or talk about the negative........EVER

when a classifier comes up we stress about it because we want to do well and then try too hard. have to relax and treat the classifier as just another stage in the match hard as it is. Its even worse when you're a few points below the next class and one or two more good scores will get you the bump. I've done it before, stressing out and trying to push too hard on the classifier because I want to move up in class and end up bombing the stage.

a good dry fire program will help ease classifier anxiety because you'll have done tons of draws/turns and draw/transitions/reloads in practice without ever firing a shot.

I am shooting a lot of A's. On some stages I will become lackadaisical and allow the C's to pile up. I feel as though I do not give classifiers the attention that they need/deserve. Part of this is due to the reason I stated previously. The rest comes down to my mental game. I know that I can shoot A's, quickly. I make small mistakes which deprive me of a faster time to divide those A's with.

In your case.... DECIDE that you want to do well on them. Really decide.

It's not a classifier. It is just another stage of Alphas to collect. Shoot Alphas.

Excellent advice. I'll remember this one. My wife always has issues on classifiers. She doesn't even want us to tell her if the stage is a classifier. Of course it comes up during the WSB, and she always tries too hard.

The thing I hate about classifiers is they do not REALLY tell you how you are shooting. You stated you shot the entire match " the best match of my life" and after the classifier the only thing you remember is how BAD that stage was. It was just ONE stage. Treat it that way, just another stage.

Classifiers are used to advance, but it really only tells you how you shoot classifiers. It does not tell you how well you plan out the hard stages, the moving, the reloads, the swingers, the Texas Star, the transitions between targets, splits, etc. I think when we stop worrying about that one stage and continue to plan and execute the other 5 or 9 or 12 stages then that stage will be a means to an end. To shoot the overall match to the best of our ability.

Just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

My problem was that a classifier was way to important. It was like a badge of achievement. Early on, it was I'm a D and he's a C. I gotta get out of D. My goal was to get to C in every gun I shot...even shooting a Ltd gun in Open to be a C. The problem then became that I was always shooting matches at the bottom of C class with whatever gun. Ego can be a motivator that nets negative results. Now I try and shoot good points and classifiers are better. B class will come when it comes.

• 3 months later...