Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 147gr CMJ Load Data - Where?

RaylanGivens

Looking for load data for Montana Gold 147gr CMJ bullets for a Glock 34 in USPSA's Production class... I have a Lyman Reloading Handbook and a Loadbooks 9mm Luger Reloading Manual, but neither of them has loads for MG 147gr CMJ bullets... Don't seen to find any load data on the Montana Gold site either.

Planning to use VV n320 powder, but there is no load data for MG bullets of any kind on the vihtavuori-reloading-data page on the VV web site.

Where can I find load data for Montana Gold 147gr CMJ Bullets with VV n320 powder?

You will not find load data for MG, Zero, Precision, etc. Only the BIG commercial (read non-bulk) manufactures. So you just find a similar bullet and work it up. If you have a chrono and you have chosen a common powder (which you have) to reach Minor, then just work it up to 130PF and see if it is accurate and runs well in your gun. Then you are done.

3.5gr N320 with MG 147gr 1.125 OAL gives 130pf out of my XDm 5.25 9mm. I would start a little lower and work it up for your application

3.6 grains of N320 with a 147 gr MG CMJ AOL 1.150, RP brass, WSPP, with an XDM 4.5 inch, PF 130.

Thanks guys, this is very helpful...

Been shooting some MG 147gr CMJ ammo from a local reloader... Not sure what powder he uses, but the velocity is in the 906-921fps range with 134pf... OAL is 1.131-1.134... This ammo cycles very well in my Glock 34, so I am planning to keep the OAL in the 1.133 range... Planning to start with 3.4 grains of VV n320.

You will not find load data for MG, Zero, Precision, etc. Only the BIG commercial (read non-bulk) manufactures. So you just find a similar bullet and work it up. If you have a chrono and you have chosen a common powder (which you have) to reach Minor, then just work it up to 130PF and see if it is accurate and runs well in your gun. Then you are done.

Thanks! This is actually what I was wondering... I searched and searched but never found the first load for MG 147gr CMJ bullet... Heck I never found a single load for any MG bullets... It seems odd to me that a company would design and manufacture a bullet without calculating loads for it.

I'm new to reloading and wasn't sure how much different bullet designs affected the velocity (and thus powerfactor) of a round. Apparently using loads with similar weight and type (FMJ, CMJ, Lead) is close enough?

3.8 of 231 @ 1.135 out of a gen 3 17 I would still be using this but the cost of components I went another direction but that load was very accurate for me and was my go to steel match load and made minor pf

Edited by bodene 5

• 1 month later...

Apparently using loads with similar weight and type (FMJ, CMJ, Lead) is close enough?

I've been reloading for a long time (over 40 years) and always looked at starting load recipes as either for jacketed (including plated) or lead (including molly coated bare lead). I don't care if its fmj, cmj, jhp, if its got a copper/brass alloy jacket it's all the same to me. More important is using a recipe for the desired weight, and chrono.

I run the MG147 with 3.3gr of Titegroup at 1.135 for 131pf out of a G34. Alot of folks dont like TG but it is all I load in 9mm.

This is almost exactly my load.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3.6 to 3.7 grains under the MG 147 CMJ at 1.125 to 1.130 gets me to 133 to 137 PF out of my G34's.

Start low and work up, and, of course, load at your own risk, since I don't have pressure data on this load.

• 4 months later...

As others have mentioned, using something similar in printed data is usually "good enough" if you use loads well below maximums. Bullets of the same "type" or general construction are preferred. Thus JHP data from the books is more useful for other JHP types etc. Some of the more critical information is not generally available though, and that would be the length of the gliding surface or part of the bullet that touches the lands in the barrel. If you have a bullet that has printed data for it, and can measure the length of the gliding surface and compare it to the bullet you are going to use, that would be most useful. Comparing the printed data to yours with a chrono is also very informative and will give you valuable data about how such printed data and yours with your "unknown" bullet are comparable, thus relating to actual pressures produced.

Also... generally, actual starting loads are a bit on the weak side for a lot of auto pistols, so if you want to "run the gun" and not have to hand cycle some rounds that are too weak with just "starting loads", then I would pick something more in the mid range which are perfectly safe and more likely to operate your auto pistol fully.

Edited by Justsomeguy

I only reload 9mm and only use N320 and 147 bullets I stick with 3.6 grains. It's a very comfortable load I have used MG, zero Berry and percision which is the only thing I could get my hands on so I have a lot on hand at this time. As for the difference in tops I always maintain seating death LOA changes and has never been an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I only reload 9mm and only use N320 and 147 bullets I stick with 3.6 grains. It's a very comfortable load I have used MG, zero Berry and percision which is the only thing I could get my hands on so I have a lot on hand at this time. As for the difference in tops I always maintain seating death LOA changes and has never been an issue.

That is where I am at too. All is well