Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info on a Bianchi shroud

gmantwo

Gmantwo.

Not sure I would go that way. If you already own a going AP gun that is anything above completed knackered then rebuild it and then build or buy a used USPSA gun that meets your needs.

I have tried the one gun two matches route and it did not fly for me. There always seems to be something just not right. I have one excellent AP gun and a good allround open USPSA gun that did not break the bank.

2c from me.

Sent from my desk using my fingers.

Our shroud is still under development, not ready for a while.

From what I have seen, it is hard to get one gun to run reliably when everything stays the same, much less when changing things around.

Toolguy nailed it! First we get a "future" Open gun to run "bare-naked", i.e. no shroud, comp or optics. Then we add the comp and make it run again. Then the shroud gets added with the optics and/or Stick-Shift on top and make it run for the final time. Adding components makes everthing change so far as balance, timing, etc. If it won't run without those items, it surely won't once they are added.

Shroud mounting is critical because it can warp/twist the frame when you tighten it down if not aligned perfectly. The added weight of that, along with the Stick-Shift and optics, make it recoil differently and making it run with all that on it is really witchcraft! Building a full-race Open AP gun isn't a job for the faint-hearted or the "average" gunsmith.

For now, DWFAN has it right. The only 2 on the market that I know of are the Caspian "Piatt" shroud and the one by Gilmore Sports Concepts. Of the 2, the Gilmore is lighter weight overall. The Piatt shroud itself is light, but the wings they provide are steel and weigh more than the rest of the shroud alone. If you go that route, I suggest that you get someone to make you a set of wings from aluminum to keep down the weight a bit.

I can't wait to see what Toolguy comes up with! The man's got the touch and knows the sport!

Just my experience and $.02

Alan~^~

My current AP is a Les Bear, nearly new with shroud and Gilmore mover scope. I don't use wings, so no added weight there. I kinda need another open gun as we only have one and no backup. I will build the future gun like my sons current, 6" with Schumann TriBrid barrel. With only a barrel change, to a 6" with no poppel holes and put on a shroud, I feel like I would have the best of everything. I only get to shoot Bianchi every other year due to work, so switching would be an every other year affair. The Les Bear has an Aftec extractor and I had one failure to extract at 10 yards on plates this year, ending up with 43. Don't know a lot about tuning/tweaking the Aftec, its my first experience with one.

All good advice here I know. Still thinking. Between some close friends and myself we usually can make anything run very well.

My initial thought is I can sell the Bear for enough to do the two purpose gun thing

FWIW, a guy we shoot with has a STI Trubore and Grand Master, both in 38 Super that he uses with a shroud for Bianchi. He actually welded up one and redrilled the shroud for the Cmore pattern, and bought an undrilled for the other. The GM shoots really well at 50, and the Trubore shoots acceptably, 2.5 inches or so. Not sure where he got the GM, but I think the Trubore came from Dawson, and they set it up for Minor.

I can see it possibly working out to remove the shroud, add the cmore, swap a spring and shoot major.

• 3 months later...

I designed and built the shroud on Louis's and Sydney's gun. I converted Louis's from a 45 Armscor 1911 and Syd's was built from the frame up. I use the Revolver Mover base on both from Warren. Don't ask why long story. However i machined the shoud to fit the revo mount bottom on the mover. when it is place and locked down there is no place to go even if the screws loosen it is snug because the lock tight and the close fit of the mover to the shroud.

It was alot of extra work but it is more than secure.

I use an Alum Comp from Karl Piper (New Zealand Shooter).

Barrels are both Schumann. Louis in 9mm Syd in 38 Super

I can make you wings for the Piatt shroud if you need them.

Yes - an Auto shroud. Revos don't need them. As there are only 2 in captivity now, none will be on the prize table. However, if I can get them feeling amorous, perhaps there will be more in due time. Once the herd is built up there may be the occasional one for a prize at the Bianchi Cup or the World Cup.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Barricade Mount with the mover built in is about the same price as a shroud and Stick Shift separately, then added together. The main benefit is it's 3/8" lower to the bore and only has to be bolted to the gun. Not too many are running an Open gun without some kind of mover base.

Edited by Toolguy

The Barricade Mount with the mover built in is about the same price as a shroud and Stick Shift separately, then added together. The main benefit is it's 3/8" lower to the bore and only has to be bolted to the gun. Not too many are running an Open gun without some kind of mover base.

Warren - just for interest.... How much is a bare shroud ?