Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes low-recoil factory 9mm ammo?

BrianC

Hello everyone. My wife and I are both active shooters in IDPA and IPSC. We shoot several club matches a month and average one sanctioned match a month. We both shoot Glock 34's using Winchester 115gr 9mm ammo (Wal-Mart 100 pack).

Now I know what everyone is thinking: "you and your wife need to reload". Believe me, I've heard that 100 times, and you are all correct. Reloading would be the most effective solution for me and my wife, however, we don't have time, nor do we want to make time.

Therefore, my question is: Is there an ammunition manufacturer that makes some sort of low-recoil or reduced power 9mm ammo for competitive shooting?

Thanks,

Brian

You're already shooting some of the softest factory 9mm on the planet but if you want something softer, I recently chronographed some 9mm 115gr. ammo by a company called Independence that gave a 125.3 power factor out of a G34.

Soft enough?

Yes, reloading would allow you to tailor the loads for your individual preferences and save a few bucks. If you have the time, I'd recommend that you "roll your own".

I believe that Atlanta Arms is now producing a 147 load that should meet your needs. You might also contact Cor-Bon as they also have produced a line called their "match ammunition" load that (with a 147). If anyone went to the "Beretta Day" at NRA's HQ Range - the cor-bon 147 match load was used that day. Failing those two sources, I would use any standard velocity 147grn 9x19mm load except Remington/UMC in the yellow box. It repeatedly jammed my bone stock Glock 17.

Reloading would be the most effective solution for me and my wife, however, we don't have time, nor do we want to make time.

I can reload my 9mm stuff in less time than it takes to go to WalMart and buy it. :P Plus I get better ammo loaded the way I like it.

Other than that there are some custom reloaders that will load something to your specs.

Adam

sellier and bellot 140 grain FMJ ...its not as cheap as walmart, but its softer.

as far as low recoil and reduced power, while the do go hand and hand, we still need to meet the 125 power factor

with uspsa you will likely(more likely than IDPA) get caught in a bind with lighter ammo. when you shoot uncalibrated poppers with borderline sub-minor ammo and they refuse to fall...all i can say is the lighter recoil isnt speeding you up there.

what are you doing if your too busy to reload?? hopefully its practice. :)

before i started reloading, i was looking for the same thing. i found the 147s to be softer, and of those, i like federals (flat nose) the best. the federals also had the lowest pf of the ones i tried. but they cost about $7.75/50, well above what i was paying for blazer 115s (about $4.50/50). others here seem have found even lower pf's (125.3!). but i'm sure you'll pay ($$$) for it.

but, as someone else said, once you have a press set up, popping out a hundred rounds takes very little time...honestly about 5-10 minutes. if you set aside a few hours or a whole day, you could make enough ammo for an entire year. and you'll end up with the perfect load for you and your gun. i just started reloading this summer. prior to that, i had the same opinion as you...i didnt want to bother with or make time for reloading. but, after a few months of it, i'm very happy i finally gave in and joined the reloading crowd.

I just shoot the Winchester Val-u-paks from Wal-mart...nothing wrong with them. Expecially for the money and convenience.

Sure, you can reload and get something that seems softer. But, the Winchester stuff isn't exactly wrist-breaking...not even close.

I appreciate all of your input. I am going to follow up on all of the ammo types suggested.

Driver8m3, thanks for your point of view. Others have told me how fast you can pump out a couple thousand rounds too. My concern is not so much how long it takes to actually reload 1000 rounds of bullets. It's all of the time I will probably spend learning to reload, researching various load configurations, experimenting and trying to find the "perfect" load for me, reading post after post on this forum regarinding reloading, lol, collecting brass at the range, cleaning brass, buying powder, buying bullets, buying primers, etc. etc. etc. It's almost like an additional hobby. I have too many hobbies as it is, lol.

I don't know, maybe one day I'll decide to reload. But for now, I'm going to try out some of these suggested factory ammos.

Thanks everyone!

Brian

I just shoot the Winchester Val-u-paks from Wal-mart...nothing wrong with them. Expecially for the money and convenience.

Sure, you can reload and get something that seems softer. But, the Winchester stuff isn't exactly wrist-breaking...not even close.

Good point Flexmoney.

Another advantage to shooting the Wal-Mart Value Packs is the bragging rights associated with beating other shooters who are using down-loaded ammo and race guns, lol.

I compete in ESP with a stock glock and factory ammo.

But if I'm going to buy factory ammo, I might as well buy the lightest rounds available. It can only help, especially for my wife.

Brian

While I agree that the Val-u-paks aren't terrible recoil wise, they are nothing compared to what you can do with hand loads.

Try shooting 10 rounds of Winchester White Box, then try shooting 10 rounds of a 147 gr. bullet over about 3.2 grains of VV310.

Even though there isn't much difference physically, the softer felt recoil makes you believe you can shoot faster. And as we all know, this sport is 90% mental.

I'm with Jake on this. I use the same load, and when I've let other people shoot it back to back with WWB they're always shocked at the difference. Myself, I can barely stand to shoot WWB anymore. It's amazing how low it chronos given how harsh it feels.

If you really and truly honestly don't have time to reload (and be serious now, you have time to practice doncha?), I'd contact one of the custom loading companies to see what they can make for you in the way of a heavy-bullet/fast-powder load.

...It's all of the time I will probably spend learning to reload, researching various load configurations, experimenting and trying to find the "perfect" load for me...

well, now that my "secret" VV310 load (which was has been outed by jake and monster) is out there, your research is finished! forum member carlos gave me the load, and it is indeed much softer than even my favorite federal factory load.

that said, obviously there is some time involved in learning to reload, so its understandable that some dont have time for it and would rather stick with a light factory load. try the federal 147 flat tips and see how you like them.

monster: i was at the md/va sectional setup when you bought some 310 from .40AET...i saw him giving it to you and tried to get some from him too, but he didnt have any more with him!

The reason that I'll shoot factory 9mm is simply time and effort.

I have a nice reloading set up for my open gun and part of the reason I want to also shoot production is so that I can occationally just *buy* ammo. Based on what I've heard here, I'll just look for some reasonably priced 147g loads (in brass since most ranges hereabouts won't allow Blazer).

Time is very valuable too :P.

Kevin

When I had the Glock-34 I bought Loose-Pack Winnies from Wal*Mart and felt really pretty comfortable with them, oddly enough. Didn't experience uncontrollable recoil. I also didn't have my reloading setup at that time, either, but that's all in the past and I don't have 9mm at all right now but have the reloader. Still, I felt OK about the factory ammo in 9mm.

Reloading 9mm for production isn't cost-effective and not worth the hassles. By the time you buy a good press, tumbler, calipers, dies, primers, powder, bullets, reloading books, etc., the cost is probably close to $1,000. Plus the dozens of hours spent in learning reloading and the time it takes to get the press running right. It would take a long time to make that up when 9mm ammo costs $5 a box.

Try to find a local reloader and tell them what you want -- lower pf ammo. If you buy it in batches of 1,000 or more the price should be decent.

Federal american eagle 147 is the softest 9 factory load I know of, and cheap too by the case.

my favorite too...but i wouldnt call it cheap. $7.75/50 from natchezz. it felt ok, the main drawback was cost, so i got a press and got some excellent instruction from carlos.

Reloading 9mm for production isn't cost-effective and not worth the hassles. By the time you buy a good press, tumbler, calipers, dies, primers, powder, bullets, reloading books, etc., the cost is probably close to $1,000. Plus the dozens of hours spent in learning reloading and the time it takes to get the press running right. It would take a long time to make that up when 9mm ammo costs $5 a box.

Try to find a local reloader and tell them what you want -- lower pf ammo. If you buy it in batches of 1,000 or more the price should be decent.

• Used Square Deal B: $150 (At least that is what I paid)
  • Cost per 100 rounds: $7
  • Getting ammo that I like: Priceless

There is no doubt that your experience and costs may differ but I do not find 9mm ammo for $5 a box in any of the local stores or gun shows I attend. For me reloading to get what I want at a competitive price isn't all that big a deal. Oh, and I have upgraded from the SDB that I started out with but I still see deals on the presses from time to time so a beginner could start out for pretty cheap if they wanted to.

-ld

• 3 weeks later...