Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 2013 Noveske Rifleworks USCA National Championship

Will slings be required?

I'd say 75% of the stages at Nats will require slings.

Our rulebook does allow clubs to run sling-less but, we will have quite a few stages requing slings.

Most people, on stages requiring slings, are using single point slings to ease rifle to pistol transitions and decrease the chance of breaking the 180 with a 2-point sling.

Edited by mrgreentie

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, what? Breaking the 180 with a sling? You better explain that stuff. Every time ive had a long gun slung in a match its cold until i unslung it. 180 didn't matter until it was hot.

It's good we're having this conversation. I think we're saying the same thing.

It really comes down to stage design.

Most USCA stages start with the rifle hot so 180 rule is in effect immediately But, if the gun is started cold, sure, its a cold rifle. The key point to be made is that once the rifle is made hot, it is considered hot the rest of the stage. It is too difficult for an RO to determine, at run time, if you truly ran the rifle dry.

Here is the gray area that we are willing to accept during slinging the rifle. First, I'll restate, we dont sling hot rifles. If you're using a single point sling, or a two point sling, you can let it point towards the ground when transitioning to the pistol but rifle must be empty. If, during transition to your pistol, the gun points parallel to the ground, up-range its a DQ. But it can muzzle the ground on the transition.

Check out the slinging of a empty rifle in this vid (stage starts at the 40-second mark). It doesn't swing back to the crowd going paralel to the ground breaking the 180, and is kept down range between shooting positions. In the absence of a barrel to ditch his rifle the shooter is required to sling the rifle before transitioning. If he still had rounds in his rifle mag he would have need to drop the mag and rack out the chambered round before transitioning to his pistol.

All that being said, local clubs can elect to drop the mag, rack the live round out and throw the rifle in a bucket before transitioning to the pistol. At Nats we will be using a sling as this is a differentiating skill and, at the National level, we'll want the shooter ultimately taking home the title to be proficient at not only shooting but also gun handling, including sling manipulation.

Hope this clears it up.

Edited by mrgreentie

I am not sure about all this slinging stuff. I have had my bolt locked back and it went forward while moving. So that would be a DQ? Alot of money to blow on a DQ over something that really doesn't have anything to do with shooting.

When transitioning from rifle to pistol the shooter must perform the following actions in the order prescribed below*. Failure to comply will result in a match disqualification, as the rifle must be clear before the handgun is employed.

1) Drop the magazine loaded into the rifle

2) Cycle the action emptying the chamber

3) Engage the safety

4) Sling the rifle (When a rifle is empty it can be slung behind the shooter as long as it stays below a 90degree and points towards the ground)

From the posted rule book...

Wold this also apply to sling transitions? So that mag should be dropped and chamber cleared before transition to pistol.

From the video posted, the first stage, "medic bag", it is unclear if the bolt is locked back, as the camera turns away from the shooter during his movement to the second shooting position. What is clear however is that the magazine for the rifle is still in the rifle.

Question, according to the posted rules, is this ok? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to understand the rule set as it pertains to this discipline.

I am not sure about all this slinging stuff. I have had my bolt locked back and it went forward while moving. So that would be a DQ? Alot of money to blow on a DQ over something that really doesn't have anything to do with shooting.

If the bolt drops, on an empty chamber, while moving its not a DQ as long as the gun is empty. A DQ happens when the RO asks you to show clear and a round pops out.

All this talk about slings makes it seem complicated but its really simple, be safe and dont sling a hot rifle. Before you transiston, make sure it is empty.

Edited by mrgreentie

When transitioning from rifle to pistol the shooter must perform the following actions in the order prescribed below*. Failure to comply will result in a match disqualification, as the rifle must be clear before the handgun is employed.

1) Drop the magazine loaded into the rifle

2) Cycle the action emptying the chamber

3) Engage the safety

4) Sling the rifle (When a rifle is empty it can be slung behind the shooter as long as it stays below a 90degree and points towards the ground)

From the posted rule book...

Wold this also apply to sling transitions? So that mag should be dropped and chamber cleared before transition to pistol.

If you are slinged, and run your rifle dry, there is no need to drop the mag and cycle the action.

Is it okay to drop the mag, fire the last round in the rifle at a target and then sling?

That's actually genius. Instead of dropping the mag and racking a round out, just drop the mag, burn off the round, sling and transition to the pistol.

Thanks, been doing it that way for a long time. Ever since the insidious "unload on the clock" was born. The reason I ask is cause it sometimes scares the women and horses and assorted R.O.s

Thanks, been doing it that way for a long time. Ever since the insidious "unload on the clock" was born. The reason I ask is cause it sometimes scares the women and horses and assorted R.O.s

You are funny, Kirk.

Ahhh not so funny Cheryl, at a larger area 3-gun they wanted to D.Q. me for discharging while unloading since I had "already pushed" the mag release. I was read the riot act at a match back east for an incredibly dangerous act...even though the bullet when through the target. If they haven't seen it before, I have found that some R.O.s become like villagers in Frankenstein! They don't know why its bad, they just know it isn't natural ..burn him burn him :)

Finally we can formally disclose the location of the host range. We had a verbal agreement for some time but nothing in writing. As of Saturday the formal contract was signed. The range is the Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club in New Symrna Beach, Florida (link below).

The owner of the range has invested a good bit in updating the range and it truly is ready for the big leagues. Lots of bays, tons of space and close to a major airport and attractions (Orlando,FL and Daytona Beach). I wouldn't be suprised if they start prying major USPSA matches out of the clutches of The Universal Shooting Academy down in Frostproof,FL in the very near future.

Registration will be open June 28th and we will provide the registration link here and on both our website and Facebook page.

Registration fees will include a one-year membership with USCA. ROs and volunteers will shoot free. If you're interested in volunteering please message me or shoot me an email (mac AT uscarbineassociation.com).

We are working out discounted rates for hotels in the area and should have that nailed down very soon. We will have a food vendor onsite.

Range Website: http://www.volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/

Careful Kurt, they might mistake you for a "gamer".........whatever that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel Defense has just signed on as a Division sponsor for the 2013 Noveske Rifleworks USCA National Championship! They make amazing rifles and we're so happy to have them as a sponsor and to add their rifles to the prize table. Be sure to check them out at https://danieldefense.com/

Novekeske, KAC and Daniel Defense rifles will be sitting on the prize table.

Just reading over some rules and have a question about no-shoots.

The rule says:

"Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. *No more than 50% of the 0-­‐second penalty area can be covered by a target required to be engaged, on any course of fire. The 0 Second penalty zones of a No Shoot must never be obstructed by more than 50% by a Shoot Target.

Maybe I'm not reading this properly but does this mean that if 50% of a no-shoot target is stapled behind a shoot target and I put 2 shots into the 1 second zone on the 50% side that is covering the no-shoot, I will incur 2 no shoot hit penalties?

Just reading over some rules and have a question about no-shoots.

The rule says:

"Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. *No more than 50% of the 0-­‐second penalty area can be covered by a target required to be engaged, on any course of fire. The 0 Second penalty zones of a No Shoot must never be obstructed by more than 50% by a Shoot Target.

Maybe I'm not reading this properly but does this mean that if 50% of a no-shoot target is stapled behind a shoot target and I put 2 shots into the 1 second zone on the 50% side that is covering the no-shoot, I will incur 2 no shoot hit penalties?

The quick answer is we are updating the rulebook, last time this year, and this will no longer be an issue. In the updated rulebook all targets will be considered impenetrable so shoot throughs, thankfully, will no longer be an issue. We're also making a few other updates that should be well received.

Thanks for checking us out!

I am so in on this one!!

Finally a match in a month that I know I can take off of work for!

We are going to have some pretty awesome courses of fire. I'm biased, of course, but the longish-range stage (300+ yards) is going to be epic.