Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 2013 Noveske Rifleworks USCA National Championship

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the fastest overall raw time doesnt win the match...! Keep that in mind while shooting this match. Charlie =+1 second and Delta as I recall + 3 seconds! Not to mention FTN's.

Yeah it's gonna be stand and shoot accurately which means slowly.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I bet the fastest overall raw time doesnt win the match...! Keep that in mind while shooting this match. Charlie =+1 second and Delta as I recall + 3 seconds! Not to mention FTN's.

Yeah it's gonna be stand and shoot accurately which means slowly.

Pretty sure I'll be shooting on the move. But, if you have to stand still to shoot Alphas...do what ya gotta do. :)

Do you have to have two hits to neutralize a target or is one Alpha/-0 good to go?

Two hits. An Alpha and one hit anywhere else neutralizes. I'm going for 2 Alphas on each.

That sounds like wasted aiming there... I ordered a box of targets today for my practice.

Just put two anywhere on paper that will be fast! :)

for raw time anyway. tried that one time before i really looked at the target. 20.x raw with 39s pen time. that didn't work out so well.

Thats what I was trying to recommend sarcastically. The main thing everyone has to remember is to slow down a hair and aim at this match! If they use there 3 gun speed their times will likely be doubled by penalties!

I'm regestered for the match and look forward to it. I have two questions.

1. I'm in tacops, the rule for compensators is (Muzzle device no larger than 1.25” in diameter and 3” in overall length), my Benny Hill rolling thunder comp is 3.5" overall and less than 3" from the muzzle is this legal? It's legal for tacops in all the other 3 gun matches.

2. I copied the below from the rule book...seems to contradict itself...maybe I'm reading wrong?

No Shoots

Hits on a No Shoot incur 15 second penalties. Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. The shooter still receives point on the shoot target but incurs the No Shoot penalty as well. *No more than 50% of the 0-second penalty area can be covered by a target required to be engaged, on any course of fire. The 0 Second penalty zones of a No Shoot must never be obstructed by more than 50% by a Shoot Target.

Shoot Throughs

All targets in USCA are considered impenetrable. Shooting a scoring target and having the bullet pass through and hitting a no shoot does NOT count as a hit on the no shoot. Conversely, shooting a no shoot and having the bullet pass through and strike a scoring target does not give the shooter the score of the bullet striking the scoring target.

I'm regestered for the match and look forward to it. I have two questions.

1. I'm in tacops, the rule for compensators is (Muzzle device no larger than 1.25â in diameter and 3â in overall length), my Benny Hill rolling thunder comp is 3.5" overall and less than 3" from the muzzle is this legal? It's legal for tacops in all the other 3 gun matches.

2. I copied the below from the rule book...seems to contradict itself...maybe I'm reading wrong?

No Shoots

Hits on a No Shoot incur 15 second penalties. Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. The shooter still receives point on the shoot target but incurs the No Shoot penalty as well. *No more than 50% of the 0-second penalty area can be covered by a target required to be engaged, on any course of fire. The 0 Second penalty zones of a No Shoot must never be obstructed by more than 50% by a Shoot Target.

Shoot Throughs

All targets in USCA are considered impenetrable. Shooting a scoring target and having the bullet pass through and hitting a no shoot does NOT count as a hit on the no shoot. Conversely, shooting a no shoot and having the bullet pass through and strike a scoring target does not give the shooter the score of the bullet striking the scoring target.

1) The contradiction is a rulebook versioning issue and will be updated. Targets are impenetrable and a shoot throughs don't count as stated in the 2nd paragraph you quoted. This will be fixed. Thanks for clearing this up.

"Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. The shooter still receives point on the shoot target but incurs the No Shoot penalty as well."

2) Regarding Tac Ops muzzle brakes, we will only measure brakes in MilLe div at Nats. You're good to go.

Thank you for requesting clarification of these important rule issues. Have a great weekend and see you in November!

~Mac

Edited by mrgreentie

Mr Greentie:

In an earlier thread you mentioned USCA was unlike IDPA in that you could leave loaded mags on the ground. The rulebook states:

Tactical Reload:

A Tactical Reload indicates a shooter must retain any exchanged magazine with remaining rounds. In a stage designating a Tactical Reload, a shooter dropping loaded magazines will receive a procedural penalty. Every shot taken while an extracted loaded mag lays on the ground is a procedural penalty. Rifle and Pistol magazines with no rounds in them may be dropped at the competitor’s discretion.

Which is it? Thanks for your reply.

I'm regestered for the match and look forward to it. I have two questions. 1. I'm in tacops, the rule for compensators is (Muzzle device no larger than 1.25â in diameter and 3â in overall length), my Benny Hill rolling thunder comp is 3.5" overall and less than 3" from the muzzle is this legal? It's legal for tacops in all the other 3 gun matches. 2. I copied the below from the rule book...seems to contradict itself...maybe I'm reading wrong? No Shoots Hits on a No Shoot incur 15 second penalties. Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. The shooter still receives point on the shoot target but incurs the No Shoot penalty as well. *No more than 50% of the 0-second penalty area can be covered by a target required to be engaged, on any course of fire. The 0 Second penalty zones of a No Shoot must never be obstructed by more than 50% by a Shoot Target. Shoot Throughs All targets in USCA are considered impenetrable. Shooting a scoring target and having the bullet pass through and hitting a no shoot does NOT count as a hit on the no shoot. Conversely, shooting a no shoot and having the bullet pass through and strike a scoring target does not give the shooter the score of the bullet striking the scoring target.
1) The contradiction is a rulebook versioning issue and will be updated. Targets are impenetrable and a shoot throughs don't count as stated in the 2nd paragraph you quoted. This will be fixed. Thanks for clearing this up. "Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. The shooter still receives point on the shoot target but incurs the No Shoot penalty as well." 2) Regarding Tac Ops muzzle brakes, we will only measure brakes in MilLe div at Nats. You're good to go. Thank you for requesting clarification of these important rule issues. Have a great weekend and see you in November! ~Mac

Are suppressors considered muzzle devices ? I have a few people in my group who would like to shoot suppressed in tac ops if possible.

Mr Greentie:

In an earlier thread you mentioned USCA was unlike IDPA in that you could leave loaded mags on the ground. The rulebook states:

Tactical Reload:

A Tactical Reload indicates a shooter must retain any exchanged magazine with remaining rounds. In a stage designating a Tactical Reload, a shooter dropping loaded magazines will receive a procedural penalty. Every shot taken while an extracted loaded mag lays on the ground is a procedural penalty. Rifle and Pistol magazines with no rounds in them may be dropped at the competitor’s discretion.

Which is it? Thanks for your reply.

A Tactical Reload can be mandated on "Narrative" stages. I've shot over 200 USCA courses of fire and can only remember 2 stages requring me to retain a loaded mag. So, unless the course of fire mandates retaining a loaded mag, you can drop loaded mags every reload.

I'm regestered for the match and look forward to it. I have two questions. 1. I'm in tacops, the rule for compensators is (Muzzle device no larger than 1.25â in diameter and 3â in overall length), my Benny Hill rolling thunder comp is 3.5" overall and less than 3" from the muzzle is this legal? It's legal for tacops in all the other 3 gun matches. 2. I copied the below from the rule book...seems to contradict itself...maybe I'm reading wrong? No Shoots Hits on a No Shoot incur 15 second penalties. Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. The shooter still receives point on the shoot target but incurs the No Shoot penalty as well. *No more than 50% of the 0-second penalty area can be covered by a target required to be engaged, on any course of fire. The 0 Second penalty zones of a No Shoot must never be obstructed by more than 50% by a Shoot Target. Shoot Throughs All targets in USCA are considered impenetrable. Shooting a scoring target and having the bullet pass through and hitting a no shoot does NOT count as a hit on the no shoot. Conversely, shooting a no shoot and having the bullet pass through and strike a scoring target does not give the shooter the score of the bullet striking the scoring target.
1) The contradiction is a rulebook versioning issue and will be updated. Targets are impenetrable and a shoot throughs don't count as stated in the 2nd paragraph you quoted. This will be fixed. Thanks for clearing this up. "Shots that penetrate "Shoot Targets" and hit No Shoot targets count as a hit on No Shoots. The shooter still receives point on the shoot target but incurs the No Shoot penalty as well." 2) Regarding Tac Ops muzzle brakes, we will only measure brakes in MilLe div at Nats. You're good to go. Thank you for requesting clarification of these important rule issues. Have a great weekend and see you in November! ~Mac

Are suppressors considered muzzle devices ? I have a few people in my group who would like to shoot suppressed in tac ops if possible.

Suppressors are not considered muzzle devices. Shooting tac ops with a suppressor is a great idea and a ton of fun!

Suppressors are not considered muzzle devices. Shooting tac ops with a suppressor is a great idea and a ton of fun!

Glad to hear it. Perhaps a mention of that somewhere in the rules would be a nice touch... as well as an address people can use for their 5320.20 forms with the BATFE

Glad to hear it. Perhaps a mention of that somewhere in the rules would be a nice touch... as well as an address people can use for their 5320.20 forms with the BATFE

Unless you are shooting the suppressor on an SBR you don't need a 5320.20. Suppressors do not require that form. That said, last time I traveled with an SBR I just put "SW New Mexico" as the address because I was shooting classes at multiple ranges. You could probably just put central Florida and be fine.

Here are a few notes regarding the match:

You can compete in multiple divisions but walk the prize table once. You can walk in the division you place highest in. We announced this on the Facebook page a month or so ago but wanted to make sure it was here as well.

Due to the length of some stages and the limited amount of daylight (daylight savings hits right before the match) we're cutting back to 7 stages. This will ensure we don't shoot in the dark and finish early enough on Sunday to walk the prize table in daylight.

The prize table is looking awesome. The top 50% of all shooters will be walking the tables, if not more.

Divisions with less than 10 shooters will have a drawing for a limited amount of prizes. Heavy and Irons divisions are under 10 as of right now. I anticipate Open hitting 10 shooters but barely

There are like 6-10 shots at 200 and 6-ish shots at 320. The shots at 320yds are on man size steel.

As far as preparing for the match I'd definitely get comfortable shooting off both shoulders as you'll be required to do that on a few target arrays.

Get comfortable shooting from really awkward shooting positions (Think VTAC boards, prone, kneeling, etc).

While there aren't a ton of awkward shots there are enough that warrant you to add this to your training regiment.

Know how to work your rifle on a sling. MilLe div is required to wear a sling on every stage. I think there are 3-ish stages that require everyone to wear a sling, regardless of division.

As far as a sling goes, on one stage, you will need to sling your rifle and climb a tower (8-ish ft.) then shoot from that elevated platform at targets out to 320 (I'm gonna run a single point sling that can go 2 point with QD sockets). We'll also be shooting off a simulated roof peak with shingles and all so wear pants unless you're not scared to get ripped up.

Also, a rifle-mounted light might be really helpful for one stage as you won't have but a sliver of daylight in the enclosed portion of the stage. We'll have quick connect lights for those that don't have them.

It's gonna be bananas, no doubt about it.

60% of our shooters are in Tac Ops, 20% MilLe and the rest are in the other divisions. Tac Ops is your best chance, if you shoot well enough, to walk away with a rifle. Top 5 or 6 in Tac Ops, as of right now, is walking away with a pricey rifle. Top 8-9, in Tac Ops, a rifle or premium upper Our rifle sponsors are some of the top tier gun makers in the country.

Edited by mrgreentie