Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs and steel targets?

I noticed at the Multi-Gun Nationals that there were a few stages with steel slug targets that I would have thought wouldn't be too healthy for the targets. There were a few full size pepper poppers and some (I believe) 18x24 steel challenge plates. They seemed to have held up just fine throughout the match, so maybe there isn't a problem with it. Are slugs as bad / worse / not as bad on steel targets as rifles are?

I ask because I'd like to run 3-gun on my range, and I have AR500 poppers and steel challenge targets that would be great to use, but I don't want to do it if the slugs beat the targets to pieces.

Thanks.

Don't shoots slugs at steel less than 50 yards and you should be OK, but some steel is better than other steel so YMMV. I've seen some sizable dents in steel targets from slugs so you might want to do some tests on your steel before unleashing a bunch of slugs.

Doug

The 18x24 plates on stage 11 required two replacements (IIRC). The welds on the back (for the re-bar stand) failed.

The poppers on stage 12 required maintenance and/or replacement.

For popper design, the bottom of the popper face is often welded to steel rod (which sits in an angle iron V in the popper base - acts like a hinge). Slugs greatly accelerate weld failure.

Slugs also typically accelerate wear to the face (impact area) of the target.

Distance and wear generally have an inverse (although non-linear) relationship. (As distance increases, wear decreases.)

None of this is a recommendation against shooting slugs on steel - merely my observations, which you may, or may not, find useful.

Of the three slug poppers on Stage 12, one was replaced for some reason, but the other two looked the same before and afterwards. I know because I had the same curiosity so I photographed them:

BEFORE

MGNatSlugPoppersBEFORE_zps4f748c52.jpg

AFTER

03af5273-823d-4109-9539-c53fae051901_zps

53869f05-7ca5-4357-9261-028f8fc18a43_zps

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I shot a local club match where they used soft pistol-rated poppers for a 35-40 yard slug array. By the end of the match, only 20 ish shooters, each of the poppers had a bunch of well-defined dents or divits from the slugs punishing the targets. I would second the recommendations for using good steel and beyond 50 yards.

AR500 is a must for slug steel because not everyone uses low recoil slugs

the full power slugs (1600 fps) can damage low dollar targets.

We do shoot at R&R poppers and MGM plate racks @ 50yds with no evidence of damage.

stick with quality targets and you be fine.

Edited by CraigS.

I've used slug targets right at 45 yards in several matches...The MGM targets are definitely the best of the bunch when it comes to longevity. Posts, stands and hardware might be good to have replacement sets if they get struck. If you place a few railroad ties in front so that only the target is exposed to the shooting positions, that is another way to deal with it.

Of the three slug poppers on Stage 12, one was replaced for some reason, but the other two looked the same before and afterwards. I know because I had the same curiosity so I photographed them:

BEFORE

MGNatSlugPoppersBEFORE_zps4f748c52.jpg

AFTER

03af5273-823d-4109-9539-c53fae051901_zps

53869f05-7ca5-4357-9261-028f8fc18a43_zps

This is the same stage before and after? If so the left hand popper at the end of the match is about a foot closer to the shooter.

• 1 month later...

We have some pistol shooters in our club who freak out at just the thought of a 3gun event taking away from the draw of the pistol matches so we have to be very careful with our treatment of our steel and do not engage steel with slugs... We get blamed for people outside the matches using target stands and steel and punching holes through it with rifle or punishing them with shotguns... Paper targets for slugs make people call their shots and know their equip and we can paste them with packing tape so that's our only option currently