Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CNC Slide Work - New Gun Build

jid2

For those who don't wander into the Gunsmith Section I thought I'd share some work I'm doing building myself a new open gun.

I have a CNC milling machine in my garage and am just nearing completion of building a new 9mm open gun. I just have some engraving, sanding and finishing to do to complete it. I'll start with a few photos of the nearly complete gun, and then show some of the process that created it.

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do some people still question why custom built guns cost so much?????? Time + Effort + Knowledge you dont have = spending quality money on quality products.....Again great job and thanks for adding in all the videos they were great to watch.

That's one of the best photo threads i've seen on this site - ever.

Thanks, it's actually a bit less then I was hoping to provide. I initially was going to do a full "how to build a 2011 race gun" instructional set. But I ran into a few issues. First, I'm not really a gunsmith (just an engineer that tinkers), this is my second build and the first using the CNC machine. So I'm not an expert and still learning and making mistakes. The second reason was that I just don't have the time to document everything. I left out a fair amount of stuff because I just need to get this thing done and ready to shoot at Ironman!

I did the CNC conversion myself starting with an RF45 type "benchtop" machine. I used the machine to manually build all the components needed for the CNC conversion. It took all of my free time for about 2 years to finish the conversion as it sits now. There's a whole build thread on the machine here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/122462-pm-45_computer-numeric-control_conversion_rf45.html

Here it is during it's life as a manual machine.

IMG_0634.jpg

I added a DRO to help make the conversion parts.

IMG_0667.jpg

Then 2 years later it looked like this.

IMG_3433.jpg

Tucked in the corner of the garage

20121215_210430.jpg

As cool as the bare metal looked the plan was always to do a worn blued look to kinda mix old and new. I'm happy with how it looks, but having the thing hard chromed would be pretty sick also.

Flamed comp.

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg