Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it a secret when and where USPSA classifier's will be held?

I tried to find a classifier in Florida, any where in Florida that I can shoot as a new USPSA member. But none are listed and the kind folks at USPSA told me I have to just ask the ranges.

My question is- Do I just have to call all of the gun ranges in FL to find a classifier? My initial effort has proved that none are regularly scheduled at my local ranges.

Thanks for your help,

C

SoFLA,

You might bumping into confusing terminology ?

USPSA...generally... has one classifier course of fire in nearly every local match. That course of fire (classifier stage) comes from a book of available classifier stages. Your local USPSA Match Director will pick one of those classifier stages and set it up in the regular match.

If you are asking the local matches if they are running a "Classifier Match", then they might be thinking you are asking about a "Special Classifier Match"...were the courses of fire might all be classifier stages. Those are few and far between (Some clubs run those once a year.)

Chances are, your local USPSA monthly match is running a classifier stage at every match. (They could be doing something different, but this is the common practice.)

You will need to shoot 6 classifier stages to get your initial classification.

Sarge and Flex, thanks for the replies. Other than calling ranges and asking if they host USPSA matches (The USPSA website seems very incomplete with updated info for ranges), is there a better way to find out about who/what/where?

(The USPSA website seems very incomplete with updated info for ranges), is there a better way to find out about who/what/where?

?

What problems are you seeing with the website?

I don't know where you live. You can punch in your zip code in the club finder, or you can pull up all of Florida. Florida has a few "sections" in it. You are probably looking for clubs in the South Florida Section (those will have a club code that starts with SF). You can also contact the South Florida Section Coordinator. (I'll PM you his listed contact info, as I don't like posting such on the forum.)

(The USPSA website seems very incomplete with updated info for ranges), is there a better way to find out about who/what/where?

?

What problems are you seeing with the website?

I don't know where you live. You can punch in your zip code in the club finder, or you can pull up all of Florida. Florida has a few "sections" in it. You are probably looking for clubs in the South Florida Section (those will have a club code that starts with SF). You can also contact the South Florida Section Coordinator. (I'll PM you his listed contact info, as I don't like posting such on the forum.)

I received the contact info, tyvm. I do believe when I entered my zip code it was limiting the search too much.

You will need to shoot 6 classifier stages to get your initial classification.

Flex, you only need 4 unduplicated classifiers to get your initial classification. But you already knew this didn't ya? It was a test? :goof:

Generally the clubs in the North Florida area run 5 to 6 stage SPECIAL classifier matches early in the year in time for new shooters to classify before any major matches. Two clubs in the Jacksonville / St Augustine ran matches in March prior to the Area 6 Match. The only way to find out is to send an email to each club in your area. You can eaisily shoot 4 local matches in Florida over 3 to 4 weekends to get your initial classification.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Generally the clubs in the North Florida area run 5 to 6 stage [special] classifier matches early in the year in time for new shooters to classify before any major matches. Two clubs in the Jacksonville / St Augustine ran matches in March prior to the Area 6 Match. The only way to find out is to send an email to each club in your area. You can eaisily shoot 4 local matches in Florida over 3 to 4 weekends to get your initial classification.

Is my edit [in bold] correct?

From the USPSA National Classifier Course Book, 4th ed. http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-classifier-list.php

Activity Credit Fees

Level I Match - without classifier - $1.50 per registered competitor per division.

Level I Match - with classifier - 3.00 per registered competitor per division.

Level I Special match -

- with 2 classifier stages - $4.00 per registered competitor per division.

- with 3 classifier stages - $5.00 per registered competitor per division.

- with 4 classifier stages - $6.00 per registered competitor per division.

- with 5 or 6 classifier stages - $6.50 per registered competitor per division.

Not sure where OP is but I know south Florida pistol club sf-06 includes 1 classifier stage per month on the 1st Sunday match

If OP could post a zip or location perhaps some other members could offer some more help.

I tried to find a classifier in Florida, any where in Florida that I can shoot as a new USPSA member. But none are listed and the kind folks at USPSA told me I have to just ask the ranges.

My question is- Do I just have to call all of the gun ranges in FL to find a classifier? My initial effort has proved that none are regularly scheduled at my local ranges.

Thanks for your help,

C

Where are you located in Florida? I'm in the Tampa area and I recently got started in action shooting when I took an introductory action shooting class at Wyoming Antelope Club. The rub is that I took the class in January, but it took me until April to finally get enough ammo to start shooting Steel Challenge and USPSA.

I'm a rookie Production shooter and it looks like I just missed the big classification intensive matches that are shot at the beginning of the year. WAC had a recent Saturday match that had four classifiers and two standard stages. The Ancient City Shooting range near Saint Augustine also had a big classification match earlier in the year (I asked them, they're very nice and responsive).

So what seems to happen is that at early in each year at least some of the clubs will run matches where you can get all of the classifiers done you need for a particular division. After that, the clubs tend to run matches where they either won't have any classification stages or they will have matches where they will include a classifier stage along with the standard stages. WAC has matches periodically where they will run classifiers and from what the folks at Ancient City are telling me, they run classifiers pretty consistently also.

The rub seems to be that once the clubs have held their major classification oriented match early in the year, you're on your own to just hunt and peck enough classifiers after that to get the number you need to make class.

My guess is that I will have a hard time getting four classifiers done since I will mostly be shooting the weekday evening matches at WAC this year to prepare for the various weekend matches that I can make so I'm going to makes sure I know when the 2014 classification matches are run early next year.

SoCal where r u located? I can tell u Volusia County Gun club shoots on the 4th Saturday of the month and now Space Coast shoots their matches on the 1st Saturday of the month there at that range as well and they both have 1 "classifer" stage in each of the months with "5 Saturdays".... and I believe it's in August that Space Coast has a match with all 6 stages classifiers

http://www.sepsa.com/ For Jacksonville matches...they generally have at least one classifier per match...Nelson puts on a GREAT match every month.

http://www.mysapsa.com/ For St. Augustine matches....I haven't shot there in a long time though...

http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/uspsa.htm

http://www.willistonshootersclub.com/Calendar.html

Thanks for your help,

C

Not sure how far south you are, but the Wyoming Antelope Club in Clearwater runs a USPSA match on the 4th Sunday and the 5th Saturday (if there is one) of every month. They each have a classifier.

Or... Next time you shoot a match, ask some of the shooters... They'll know where the matches are...

The rub seems to be that once the clubs have held their major classification oriented match early in the year, you're on your own to just hunt and peck enough classifiers after that to get the number you need to make class.

My guess is that I will have a hard time getting four classifiers done since I will mostly be shooting the weekday evening matches at WAC this year to prepare for the various weekend matches that I can make so I'm going to makes sure I know when the 2014 classification matches are run early next year.

The Wyoming Antelope Club usually holds their Special Classifier Match every year on the 5th Saturday in March... Unfortunately, you just missed it...

There are other matches in the area if you don't mind driving a bit...

Good morning everyone,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I am located in Palm Beach County and have found a club that shoots regularly at Markham Park.

What I have discovered is that different clubs/ranges have classifiers but they don't always name the "shoot/match" as a USPSA classifier. i.e. "Trophy Match" on a particular day can be used as a classifier.

For new people joining the great business of competitive shooting, it does seem a bit of a challenge to sort things out. I would hope that as time goes on it can be more organized. Coming from the NASCAR industry, I saw first hand how proper organization can certainly boost a sport.

So now that I have figured out what and whom to ask for info I am happy to say I am finally on the right track.

For anyone new shooters reading this, don't despair and be persistent. This is an incredibly fun sport with amazing people.

SoCal,

I'm also in Palm Beach County.

The Markham Park group is South Florida Pistol Clob

http://www.sfpc.org/

Schedule:

http://www.sfpc.org/?page_id=27

2nd Sunday is a Steel challenge match- highly recommend

also-3 gun is now 2-Gun :( Rifle-Shotgun

The 1st Sunday trophy Match is just the monthly sanctioned match.

and yes- there are trophys, or supposed to be :)

Stage 3 was a classifier stage.

Usually there is one classifier stage per 'Trophy Match'

The annual Classifier Match was held in February which had 4 stages of Classifier Stages

so if you only shoot match with SFPC then you will not have a classification until August.

However, not far from PBC is Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club

About 2 hr from southern PBC

http://www.pmrpc.com/

Every 1st saturday is a USPSA 'workshop'

every 2nd Saturday is a USPSA Match

I am not sure what their classifier schedule is like as I have only shot 3-Gun there

Several members from SFPC carpool up to Malabar for the 2nd Sunday match

but give em a call.

If I can help you with more info just shoot me an email.

Welcome to FL and PBC,

there is a lot of shooting events here.

USPSA

IDPA

2 and 3-Gun

Sub-Gun

Carbine matches

Drills

As a matter of fact Tomorrow at Markham- 6:30pm is Drilsl Night run by the local IDPA Club

Tropical Shooting Sports Association

http://tssaidpa.us/wordpress/index.php/drills-nights/

you can do Pistol or Carbine

(carbine usually includes some pistol transitions)

you would have to go through the new shooter orientation first- See linked info.

if you go bring a good amount of ammo.

Hope to see you there!

Good morning everyone,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I am located in Palm Beach County and have found a club that shoots regularly at Markham Park.

What I have discovered is that different clubs/ranges have classifiers but they don't always name the "shoot/match" as a USPSA classifier. i.e. "Trophy Match" on a particular day can be used as a classifier.

For new people joining the great business of competitive shooting, it does seem a bit of a challenge to sort things out. I would hope that as time goes on it can be more organized. Coming from the NASCAR industry, I saw first hand how proper organization can certainly boost a sport.

So now that I have figured out what and whom to ask for info I am happy to say I am finally on the right track.

For anyone new shooters reading this, don't despair and be persistent. This is an incredibly fun sport with amazing people.

I think you are confused by the difference between USPSA and IDPA. IDPA has a specific course of fire that is used to classify their members. It seems like most clubs will run this once a year.

USPSA has a large selection of courses of fire that are used as classifiers. Most clubs around here run 1 classifier stage at every match. Some of the clubs will run a match once a year that is all classifier stages.

The Wyoming Antelope Club usually holds their Special Classifier Match every year on the 5th Saturday in March... Unfortunately, you just missed it...

There are other matches in the area if you don't mind driving a bit...

Seriously though, that's very helpful. Thanks for posting that. I saw the announcement go up right before the match, but I was already going to Universal Shooting Academy to pick up ammo and shoot their action steel match that day. I was tempted to just shoot the production classifier with my Glock 21 using what little .45 I have left, but I want to conserve that ammo for GSSF Heavy Metal once those matches start up again here in Florida later in the year.

Seriously though, that's very helpful. Thanks for posting that. I saw the announcement go up right before the match, but I was already going to Universal Shooting Academy to pick up ammo and shoot their action steel match that day. I was tempted to just shoot the production classifier with my Glock 21 using what little .45 I have left, but I want to conserve that ammo for GSSF Heavy Metal once those matches start up again here in Florida later in the year.

The Wyoming Antelope Club hosts a Steel Challenge match the 3rd Saturday of every month... Check out the WAC newsletter for the schedule to all the matches... It's online...

The two central Florida GSSF matches are in the early part of the new year... The WAC GSSF match is in January and the Orlando GSSF match is in early February...

The Wyoming Antelope Club hosts a Steel Challenge match the 3rd Saturday of every month... Check out the WAC newsletter for the schedule to all the matches... It's online...

The two central Florida GSSF matches are in the early part of the new year... The WAC GSSF match is in January and the Orlando GSSF match is in early February...

Central Florida is a great place to be a rookie action shooter!

I shot my first Steel Challenge match at WAC last month. Dean Herrig does a fine job running those matches and he's a very nice fellow. He identified me as a new shooter and spent a bit of one on one time with me making sure I knew the rules and understood how the match would run. He's a smart guy in that he was clearly assessing me to figure out what just showed up on his doorstep, but I appreciated the extra time. They had me shoot last on each stage for my squad so that I could observe how things ran for each stage. The ROs running the squad were also very helpful and for at least the first two stages I had one extra range officer so close to my left side that I could hear him breathing. :)

So I appreciated the fact that the people running the match and the squad I was in were extra helpful and they were clearly very safety conscious when it came to assessing new shooters. I have zero problems with that at all.

I actually had a pretty good shooting day. I'm preparing to do the Steel Challenge in Frostproof in July so I went with rimfire last month. Turns out that a Smith and Wesson 22A with Lapua OSP Pistol is a pretty good combo because I had no issues for the whole day and shot a 174. Not great, but my goal was to keep the score under 200. I'm going to shoot production for the next couple matches before Frostproof to try and keep my score with my Glock 34 under 200 also.

I shot the Orlando GSSF match and really enjoyed that also. It was run very well so I'm going to shoot the WAC and Orlando GSSF matches if the dates work out for me. I'm also planning on driving up to Ancient City in November to shoot their match. It's a long drive, but I figure if I just limit myself to about four divisions, I won't have any problems getting them shot in a day.

I'm also starting to do the WAC USPSA evening matches when I can. I'm going to see if I can make the one tonight, in fact, since I want to get prepared for the Doc Welt Benefit match at the end of June.