Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dead trigger in M&P Pro

mdschappell

Has anyone ever experienced a dead trigger in their M&P Pro? I was shooting yesterday after reinstalling the factory sight to check my zero. Several times (4 or 5 out of 50) my trigger went "dead", nothing was happening, almost as if the striker was not cocked. I new round chambered every time, so the slide moved back far enough to reset the striker. The gun then worked fine after I worked the action and chambered a new round. I went over to a local gunsmith afterwards, and he looked at the gun and found it to be working fine. I have since dry fired it numerous times, and could not replicate the problem. I shot my pistol in a match recently, and it worked fine without a hiccup. The trigger is all factory S&W parts. Any ideas?

I don't think that any of the pros were made before the sear spring was upgraded to the bigger one. That's the first thing I would check though. The earlier M&P's used a tiny (diameter) spring that would cause a bounce in the sear mechanism and leave you with a dead trigger.

All 3 of my Pros originally came with the smaller (16th") sear return spring. All 3 also had the same problem until I swapped out the sear blocks.

Apex now has on their website:

*Any M&P with a 1/16th diameter sear return spring sent in to our facility for ANY of our services will automatically get a Sear Housing Block Upgrade to accommodate a 1/8th diameter sear return spring for $25.00 at customers expense. No Exceptions.*

I would recommend sending the gun to them, get their Failure Resistant Extractor installed with a humanly removable roll pin, and they will replace the sear block for $25. I have had extraction issues with almost all of my M&Ps (prior to the FREs), too.

If you just want to replace the sear housing block:

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=939&zenid=8f751c3d3debc662ba207ae56b3857ba

Send it to SW. They will replace it for free. You should not have to go out of pocket for a defective pistol.

After they replace the SHB consider others causes if problems persist.

Nick

I also started to have the DEAD trigger issues with the M&p pro pistols I used to run. Never a problem untill I had around 25,000 rounds thru them. I gave up and went back to Glock. Sorry for the lack of help, its just my story.

I will try to clean it and see what happens. The gun isn't that old, anyone know when the larger spring was introduced?

If it happens after I clean it, I will be shipping it back to Smith and Wesson.

• 2 months later...

Also, make sure your trigger spring is in the middle groove. When I switched my trigger spring out, I was watching Randy of Apex and he said if the spring was not in the middle, it could cause a dead trigger.

How do you recognize the updated sear block? My 9 Pro has a manufacturing date of 6/3/13...

Mick

Sorry I never updated... yes, the new updated sear block solved the problem... no more dead trigger issues.

How do you recognize the updated sear block? My 9 Pro has a manufacturing date of 6/3/13...

There have been at least three distinct variants of sear block. Let's call them Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3.

The first two variants look like the one on the RIGHT of the photo below. Gen 1 had the original 1/16" sear spring which is vulnerable to the dead trigger phenomenon described above. Gen 2 is identical except it is drilled for a bigger 1/8" sear spring to address the dead trigger issue. These sear blocks would have been installed in most pre-April 2012 guns, and both work with the Apex RAM.

The Gen 3 sear block was introduced around April 2012 and looks like the one on the LEFT of the photo below. This was a more major overhaul of the sear block, presumably to address the indistinct reset so many have complained about - this sear block gives a trigger that feels a lot like the older trigger with an Apex RAM installed. This Gen 3 sear block actually will not accept a RAM (it lacks the hole as shown below). Most likely your 2013 gun has this newest sear block (the feel of your reset should tell you, or you can pull the block and compare with the photo below).

Searhousingblocks1.jpg

Personally, I prefer the older sear block design because it is capable of giving a smoother, revolver-like trigger pull that I find easier to shoot fast with accuracy. Just personal preference.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Weird, mine was manufactured in January 2013 and it looks like the one on the right.

Hmmm - maybe S&W are still using the old block on some guns (Pros?). I admit I have only seen the new style sear block on a regular full-size M&P.

Yes, sorry mine is a pro. Thanks for mentioning this.

Thanks for taking the time to write that! I haven't seen any of the new sear blocks. Does it really give a Glock-like reset?

I have and older style sear block with the APEX Ram installed and a newer style sear block. (I also have a Gen 3 Glock).

Neither the new style sear or the old sear with the Apex Ram get you to the positive reset of a stock Glock trigger.

I would say old sear block with Apex Ram gets close to the new style sear block, but the new style sear block has a more positive reset. The Glock reset is more positive that either with regards to feel and sound.

With all this said, I still prefer the M&P to the Glock. Never had any dead trigger issues... "knocking on wood".

So I pulled the sear block housing on my 6/3/13 manufactured Pro. It has the old style sear housing.

It does however, have the other upgrades. New faster twist barrel as well as new style back strap pattern.

Maybe S&W are deliberately putting the old style into the Pro's?

Mick

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Will the newer style sear block fit in a gun that originally had the older style in it?

Yes. I bought 3 of the newer sear blocks to upgrade 3 of my M&Ps that had the older style 1/16" spring and plunger. worked fine.