Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness 170mm mag springs

Jager1147

Wolff makes a spring that is sort of a one size fits most. It is listed as being a 14 coil Caspian spring that is suitable for Beretta, S&W, etc... I don't know if this is the same Caspian spring you are using but it is available from Brownell's as part number 969-000-040. I used these springs in several Witness and CZ pistols with 26-28 round mags and they worked really well.

-ld

any info for the mags you used? I thought that maybe the springs that transition in coil size from small at the top to large at the bottom would be best, since I'm trying to get 28 in a 170mm mag. Did you use stock followers, or did you have to cut the legs?

I also like the Wolff mag springs for Caspian/EAA for use in the EAA. Use them for about a year and then replace them. The ISMI mag springs are SO strong that I never got the hang of using them reliably.

Most EAA mags will require the follower legs to be shortened and inside-tapered to get full capacity in a stretched mag. I'm not an expert on that any more so I'd seek out a gunsmith who is. Like George at EGW.

Eric Grauffel's website forums might be a good place to look for info.

The followers that worked best for me were the orange ones that came in the competition mags. I didn't have to do anything to those. I did cut coils on the springs and that bought me maybe one round in the mag though it did make it easier to reload to than the full 14 coil springs.

-ld

The followers that worked best for me were the orange ones that came in the competition mags. I didn't have to do anything to those. I did cut coils on the springs and that bought me maybe one round in the mag though it did make it easier to reload to than the full 14 coil springs.

-ld

Orange followers are the best. (I still have 12, new in the wrapper, hiding in a bin with some extra CP Bullet base pads.)

You chop off the legs and mill a small pocket in the bottom to keep the spring from sliding off.

You could get 18 in a flush magazine with this combination. (This is from our pre-140/170 days, when the magazine and all springs must be inside the bottom of the frame.)

Kenny

Boy, I'd like to find some 170mm Wintess mags. Any leads?

I have only one mag that size and the compressed spring is longer than the legs of the follower so I haven't altered it at all. I haven't tried cutting any coils off the spring yet, so I can only fit 26 in mine. I will definitely give that a try!

-Chet

I have some springs from both Grams Engineering and ISMI on order, will post results for how many I can stuff in and feed reliably. If I can get 28+1, I'll keep the TZ in the game. Just can't seem to beat how well the gun handles, but If I can't keep up with the S_I's in round count I 'll have to make the switch

Thanks all ;)

Jager

I'm using a tube I bought from some knock off catalog company, don't remember who. maybe Cheaper than Dirt? the base pad is the EAA plus 3, which are no longer around. I use the CPMI square ones that are plus 3 on my stock length tubes which gives me 20. Just got the GRAMS spring and follower today, we'll see what i can put together this weekend and I'll post the results.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The followers that worked best for me were the orange ones that came in the competition mags.  I didn't have to do anything to those.  I did cut coils on the springs and that bought me maybe one round in the mag though it did make it easier to reload to than the full 14 coil springs. 

-ld

Orange followers are the best. (I still have 12, new in the wrapper, hiding in a bin with some extra CP Bullet base pads.)

You chop off the legs and mill a small pocket in the bottom to keep the spring from sliding off.

You could get 18 in a flush magazine with this combination. (This is from our pre-140/170 days, when the magazine and all springs must be inside the bottom of the frame.)

Kenny

Are these wonders for sale?? I am not kidding!! pm me if you have any idea!!

I was using the stock magazines that hold 17, and with a stock orange follower without the legs cut off I stuff in 20 reliably. I did need to round the outside face of the follower legs so it will jump over the seam of the base pad and compress down inside the cpmi base pad.

Jesse - stock springs.

• 2 months later...
I'm running a TZ-75 in open class 9x21, and i'm trying to get 28 rounds in my 170mm big stick. Anyone know of a spring that is tapered similar to the SV springs? I normally use caspian magazine springs. Thanks - Jager

Try the grams follower and spring they work in my caspian craig mag.