Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 acp loads for IDPA

usmc90

Old Ispc load was 5.8 gr of 231 everybody I knew shoot that. BUT that was in the 180 power factor days

Currently for both IDPA or USPSA I use

3.9gr of clays with a 230 RN Lead at 170 Pf

Or

4.8grs of WST with a 200gr LSWC

4.2 of clays is real nice shooting with a 200gr SWC both are in the 170-171 PF range.

My 625 revo. also makes Pf with all the above loads

As always do you "due deligence" and make sure these loads are safe in your guns by working up slowly from starting loads in a manufactors book

I've pretty much been able to get my hands on everything "but" clays around here so was hoping someone out there was using one of those powders..also i have in my possession is HP-38 and blue dot for other calibers and loads . And yes i know that HP38 and 231 are pretty much the same load data

I'm not certain of the exact configuration of the 200 gr. SWC you mentioned, and therefore, the COAL might be different than some 200 gr. SWC bullets I am familiar with in the .45 ACP.

Assuming you will be looking for a PF of around 170 to provide yourself a margin for error, you will need to achieve an average MV of around 850 FPS.

The Lyman #452460 200 gr. SWC bullet should be seated to a COAL of 1.161, and when loaded to that length with 5.0 grains of W231 powder, I get an average MV of 845 FPS, providing good accuracy and a PF of 169 in an Ed Brown SF 5" 1911.

When substituting the Lyman #452630 bullet (also a 200 gr. SWC) and loaded to the recommended COAL of 1.235", it takes 5.8 grains of W231 to get an average MV of 840 FPS (PF 168) from the same pistol. This load is also accurate in my pistol.

Substitute an identical weight cast bullet of yet a different design, and you will likely have to adjust your powder charge to accommodate bullet design and recommended COAL differences.

Substitute a jacketed bullet of 200 grains in weight and you will find that you almost certainly will have to change powder weight to achieve MV's similar to those you saw with the cast bullets.

Bullet design, material of construction, and and COAL have quite a bit of effect on ballistics, and one has to experiment a bit to find the right combination for a specific pistol. That's what makes reloading fun!

If I was uncertain of how the 200 grain SWC you mentioned compared to the Lyman bullets I mentioned, I would load it to the recommended COAL for that bullet with 5.4 grains of W231 and then adjust the powder weight up or down to achieve the targeted MV. Then I would test for accuracy and reliability in my pistol and hit the range and the IDPA matches.

Good luck!

As this is a topic I have dealt with I'll see if I can offer an insight.

When I started I was using 231 and working my loads up. I never got a full recipe since I didn't like the burnt powder all over my arms. So I switched.

My main load for the last year was: 5.1gr. of Bullseye under a 200gr. swc (lead and plated).

The lead was faster than the copper plated. This load was a little hot having chrono'd at 2013 Florida State IDPA at 880fps (187PF). Bullseye is temperature sensitive. When I chrono'd at home I was at 850fps (170PF), but that was in 40 degree weather. I never fully tested, but 4.8-4.9 grains should yield what you are looking for.

However, that's not where it ended with the 200gr. bullets. I had to ditch the SWCs. I was having nothing but problems with them. Now that I have either shot, sold or traded them I realize that my feeding issues were because they were too short and I listened to other people telling me they weren't short enough. I now know that if I loaded them around 1.25 I might have been OK. None-the-less, I ditched all SWCs for RN's. I loved the big holes for SWCs, easy to see, but I chose reliability over holes. I did find that the cast lead had a longer cone than the plated and that was also part of the problem.

Since I was still loading 200gr. RNs my recipe didn't change any for the Bullseye.

Currently I am finishing up my 200gr. bullets and making a move to 230gr. I am still in the testing phase, and it's on hold thanks to a hole in the back of my chronograph... wonder how that got there? :surprise: However, I was able to find that 230gr. moly coated bullets with 4.3gr. of Bullseye were hotter than I expected, around 190PF. The same for 225gr. lead truncated cones with 4.4gr. of Bullseye.

As of right now I am using up the last of my Bullseye to make the switch to Clays. I was able to find that 3.9gr. of Clays with a 230gr. moly coated RN clocks in at 169PF. That is going to be perfect. In the warm weather the rounds will be a little faster and in the winter a little slower. I find this a sufficient margin of error.

I also have 230gr. plated RNs. If they behave the same as my 200gr. then I will need to probably bump the Clays to 4.0 for them. Time and testing will tell. Have to wait for the new chrono to come in first.

I know I just jammed a lot down your throat, but I hope it helps. BTW, everything listed above is what worked for me, but it might not for you. All the tested velocities were shot through an XDM 5.25.

Edited by bigdawgbeav

I don't use plain lead bullets but I do use the Bayou 200gr coated bullets. I don't know if they would perform differently than pure lead but I will share my info.

I use HP38/W231 with the 200 gr bayou SWC. I load them to 1.260 and they feed 100% reliable in My SA 1911, My Glock 21 and MY friends Kimber 1911.

My standard load is 5.7 grains that gives me a PF of 180. It still feels like a mild load and I know it will pass the chrony at any match.

My guns and hands don't get dirty with this load and it is accurate so I stick with it.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for 230 grain Round Nose, 4.0 gr of Clays, loaded to 1.250 OAL. Smooth shooting and consistent from my 1911s. Makes power factor, even from a Commander-length barrel.

Another vote for 230 grain Round Nose, 4.0 gr of Clays, loaded to 1.250 OAL. Smooth shooting and consistent from my 1911s. Makes power factor, even from a Commander-length barrel.

Depending on the make of the bullet. Lead, coated, plated and jacketed all behave differently. Lead and moly coated are very close however.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Look no farther. I have extremely good luck with Clay's. Here is my load using a Dillon 650 with Dillon Dies and a Lee Factory Crimp Die & medium crimp. Clays goes a long way, shoots very clean.

45 ACP

Roger's Better Bullets 200gr SWC Hard Cast Lead: 4.3 grains Clays; 1.250 OAL; Average PF 171

Bayou 200gr SWC Smokeless Bullets: 4.5 grains Clays, 1.250 OAL; Average PF 172

Berry's 200gr Plated SWC Bullets: 4.5 grains Clays, 1.250 OAL; Average PF 170

I love Clays

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find Clays.

I just worked up a USPSA Major recipe with a 200 gr LSWC (I have several thousand left from shooting comp in the 90s). In my gun, I shot 5.9 gr to make the old major.

For the 165 PF, it looks like 5.4 should do it, 5.5 grains to make sure.

• 9 years later...

Alliant e3 as alternative to Clays. 

Meters better than it looks but not as fine-tunable as HP38 or Ramshot Competition. 

I haven't used clay so I can't compare. I understand that e3 is pressure and temperature insensitive and that has been. Soft, smooth, clean at way-low loads but I run an 0.2gr more than the gun needs to run to make up for the occasional variation in load drop. 

Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure

HK VP40 and P30L(40), Wilson 45 Auto