Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection Recommendations, please

cohland

And the low NRR ratings (between 18-22) didn't deter you at all? Of course, fit is extremely important but over the years, I've found the NRR numbers very helpful too. Being an RO, you really need the highest you can get since you will be around everything out there. I do have the Sordin Supremes with Gel pads but I will not wear them when shooting Open or RO'ing. With an already aggravated Tinnitus condition, they made it worse in the above listed conditions. I know some say that have no problem (they will one day) and believe me, I love the comfort of the Sordins but I can only wear them when shooting Production or minor loads.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time Sordins with gel pads don't cut it is when almost perpendicular to an open shooter, it stings, but it also stings with 33NRR foamies. Behind the gun it doesn't bother me and I have pretty sensitive ears (ie I hear all the freqs) If you shoot a lot in or with open guys adding surefire silicone plugs with the open channel is great for the added protection.

I also took the "leap of faith" and ordered a pair of Sordins with gel pads. If necessary, I'll double-up with surefire earpro to protect my fragile ears from those obnoxious open guns ;)

Expect a full report once I've taken them for a spin!

• 2 weeks later...

MSA Sordin Supreme they are pricey but will outlast most of the rest. I have had mine 6+ years and they are as good as new. Definately get the gel ear pads. I shoot two very loud open guns with just my earmuffs.

I just tried these yesterday, and they are the most comfortable, best functioning amplified hearing protection I have ever used. Not only did it cut the noise, but I could hear .22 brass hit the floor at the indoor range 12 bays down. My Pro Ears.. SUCK, and are uncomfortable too. Selling them to fund the MSA Sordins.

Same thing for me : MSA Sordin (tested with new gel pads this week end : great comfort).

I've tested several electronic devices but for most of them, after a rainy day at the range, they did not work well any more (oxydation on the electronics make them crackle)

Depending on the one you chose, at least they are "splash-proof", at best, they are waterproof.

Custom molded silicone plugs for all day wear. Add muffs when actually shooting.

Nothing else is even vaguely comfortable. I don't know how anyone can wear muffs all day, with the tension digging your glasses into your head. Foam ear plugs are more effective than silicone but they hurt the ears something awful after a full day.

I will see how the Sordins do with a bunch of open shooters.

Thus far, I love them.

They are certainly as good as my Pro Hears Gold (which were 33 NRR :mellow: as opposed to 18).

And they are worlds better in comfort.

Thus far, a big thumbs up.

Hear-Pro has a great product in custom-molded plugs with NRR of 39 db. Nothing beats that. Comfort with any eyewear. Not hot. Can be had with electronics (AMP39) or without/passive (PRO39). Due to properties of material, still get decent hearing at conversational sound levels. Worth a look at least.

I've got a set of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel cups on the way, too. I tried on a set from an RO at the Ohio match and was amazed at how comfortable and effective they were. We both have the same head shape (read as large melon), so that was good.

I had Howard Leight's, but sold them after wearing only twice. I would get migraine-like headaches after only 15 minutes or so with them on. Very painful fit on my head. Went back to plain old 20 year old Peltor non-electronic ear muffs. Looking forward to using the Sordin's for both pistol and long gun.

I just spent two and a half days at Ironman shooting with a bunch of open shooters. I used the MSAs exclusively, with no ear plugs. They worked great.

Edited by Zeke013

Although I'm liking my MSA's, I've also thrown a set of Surefire EP3s into the mix. At $12+tax they're a steal compared to any set of electronic muffs and have a NRR of 24. Having them in the ear is slightly less comfortable than just having the MSA's gel pads around the ear, but on a hot day they save a lot of sweat. Its also nice to have a good set of in-the-ear plugs available for shotgun and rifle.... or when your envious buddies want to take your MSA's for a spin.

Had the chance to shoot in practice with the new Sordin's last weekend. REALLY liked them. That was shooting a 9mm Open gun, and being around 38Super Open gun. Could still hear the impulse, but it was by no means uncomfortable. Glad I made the investment (or should I say, received them for Father's Day :) ).

Should you have a problem with the MSAs their warranty is excellent and the repair facility is in Crystal River, Fl near Gainesville. I have one pair that they upgraded for me got them back in 3 days. I do live in Florida so I got them overnight.

Should you have a problem with the MSAs their warranty is excellent and the repair facility is in Crystal River, Fl near Gainesville. I have one pair that they upgraded for me got them back in 3 days. I do live in Florida so I got them overnight.

Glad to hear they stand behind their product. That gives me a bit more piece of mind that I'll eventually get my money's worth out of these (so far) excellent muffs.

Having owned the Peltor Tactical Pro and the Sport I would recommend the Sport. Much smaller. If you need more protection just double up with some internal plugs and turn the volume up. Also, the Gel Pads are the BOMB. No discomfort at all with my glasses. It's the only way to go.

• 6 months later...

Not a big muff fan. Too hot where I like to shoot. A properly taken mold and good manufacture should give excellent in ear results that will last a very long time. I believe the high strength silicone offered by hearing aid manufactures is far superior to instant mold material. Most manufacturers can add the "surfire" like element to their mold for better hearing. I have tried most type and prefer the in ear electronic type. If you are an active shooter you will never regret the purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Several people in this thread bought the MSA Sordin Supreme electronic ear muffs... It's been several months since this thread was started, so... Do you still like them?

I'm trying to decide between a set of MSA Sordin Supreme ProX muffs and the Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold... I normally shoot with custom molded ear plugs, but they cut out too much noise when I RO other shooters... I like the 33 NRR rating of ythe Pro Mag Gold muffs, but people seem to rave about the MSA Sordin Supreme ProX muffs... Which should I get?

Several people in this thread bought the MSA Sordin Supreme electronic ear muffs... It's been several months since this thread was started, so... Do you still like them?

I'm trying to decide between a set of MSA Sordin Supreme ProX muffs and the Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold... I normally shoot with custom molded ear plugs, but they cut out too much noise when I RO other shooters... I like the 33 NRR rating of ythe Pro Mag Gold muffs, but people seem to rave about the MSA Sordin Supreme ProX muffs... Which should I get?

I own a pair of MSA Sordins and love them. I got the gel pads for them and they are comfortable even in the Phoenix summer. They work well for almost all shooting, although some of the open guns out there can be a bit loud. The batteries suck to change, but I still give the muffs two thumbs up.