Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After cleaning brass it doesn't look very brass like?

trp

I have been cleaning brass in a small vibrating Franklin arsenal and its been great comes out nice and clean, BUT it doesn't have that yellow look of brass, it looks more like nickel ( kinda hard to explain a mix between brass and nickel) anyways is that ok? Am I doing somthing wrong I've been using there corn media and polish. Just keep doing what I'm doing or should I be doing somthing different?

Probably fine. What did it look like before you tumbled it? If it was highly tarnished, might be a funny color or is there a chance it is nickel brass?

It was once fired regular looking brass, it's just not as yellow looking anymore I've done maybe 5000 and there all the same just wondering if anyone else's look like this or if its something to worry about?

Try some brass polish by hand and see what it looks like. I put red rouge polish in walnut shells with a teaspoon of mineral spirits. You can see yourself in the brass.

Does it look like it has been sandblasted "Clean but no luster" ?

Yeah maybe that's a way to explain it should I start cleaning them in water instead?

I have been using some old corn cob media with auto polish and get very shiny brass "The media has a round finish to it"

I just bought some new treated corn cob media and got the same results as you.

Maybe someone on here can explain why that happens. I just went back to my old media.

Is the brass old range pickup? Bronze color? Been in contact with dirt and water?

If not, try changing the media to green corn cob. And try a cap full of nu finish, and let it run about three hours.

Here's a picture of my old rig (FA vibratory tumbler) which had corn cob media and old bounce sheets, along with some Nu Finish--sitting to the right of the new Thumler's Tumbler which I just received via UPS today.

IMG_9716.jpg

Basically, it's soap & water, along with some stainless steel media. I ran it for 2 hrs, and this is what I got:

IMG_9728.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg

I think I've experienced what you are describing - there seems to be less of a yellow/copper color and more of a silver/nickel color. I get that effect on highly polished brass, tumbled for a long time. I notice that all polished yellow brass, this color or otherwise, if stored for a long time, will get a deeper, more yellow color. That makes me think it's a surface polishing effect that goes away as the metal tarnishes.

Regardless, it all shoots the same - no excess cracking or case failures in my experience, if that is what you are after.

I think I've experienced what you are describing - there seems to be less of a yellow/copper color and more of a silver/nickel color. I get that effect on highly polished brass, tumbled for a long time. I notice that all polished yellow brass, this color or otherwise, if stored for a long time, will get a deeper, more yellow color. That makes me think it's a surface polishing effect that goes away as the metal tarnishes.

Regardless, it all shoots the same - no excess cracking or case failures in my experience, if that is what you are after.

This sounds right to me and coming from you it must be lol. Thanks

Here's a picture of my old rig (FA vibratory tumbler) which had corn cob media and old bounce sheets, along with some Nu Finish--sitting to the right of the new Thumler's Tumbler which I just received via UPS today.

IMG_9716.jpg

Basically, it's soap & water, along with some stainless steel media. I ran it for 2 hrs, and this is what I got:

IMG_9728.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg[/quo

What's the cost on that?

How many rounds does it hold?

I have had this happen with prolonged tumbling. I put a bunch of .40 in my tumbler with corncob and the lee polish, went on vacation and left it on. When I came back 5 days later it was hard to tell yellow from nickel. It all shot fine though and now is back in the system and looking normal.

What's the cost on that?

How many rounds does it hold?

Price varies, depending on which configuration you choose. I bought mine from STM, and the outcome using this system has been outstanding, compared to the dry tumbling and ultrasonic methods I've used previously.

Per the notes that shipped with the kit, here are some numbers to give you an idea:

.45ACP: 160-180 cases

9x19: 200-230 cases

For vibratotry tumblers, a receipe that an older experienced gentleman passed on to me was: either walnut or corncorb, like Steve; one capful of Nu Finish, one or two squirts of Turtle Wax rubbing compound, both from Wal Mart ( auto motive section) and one capful of mineral spirits (Lowes paint department). After adding, with NO BRASS in tumbler, let it run for 30- 40 minutes for clumps to settle out. Then add Brass. Works Great!

Rotary,tumbler with SS pins and Soap and water may work better. but to me major PIA. You need extra room and time to dry brass. For me, it goes against my grain to put water where my gunpowder goes. Yeah, yeah, you dry it, so what.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a rotary tumbler with the SS pins and its great! I used to let the brass just dry for a couple of days, then I saw on the STM site the food dehydrator that they were selling! Didn't want to pay for shipping so looked around town and found one for $35 figured I wouldn't be out much so I gave it a try, just awesome!!!! Brass is dry and ready to load in 45min plus about 10min to cool down!

The dehydrator can do about 150 pcs of 9mm per tray mine came with 4.

I have a rotary tumbler with the SS pins and its great! I used to let the brass just dry for a couple of days, then I saw on the STM site the food dehydrator that they were selling! Didn't want to pay for shipping so looked around town and found one for $35 figured I wouldn't be out much so I gave it a try, just awesome!!!! Brass is dry and ready to load in 45min plus about 10min to cool down!

The dehydrator can do about 150 pcs of 9mm per tray mine came with 4.

Any ill effects from leaving the brass to dry for a couple days? I'd prefer to tumble a ton of brass, leave it alone, then load it up later when I have time.

Edited by rebsimeanblackbears