Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clay bird holder at FNH 3 Gun

One of the stages last year, used a cardboard target with holes cut out so you could insert clays into them and it would hold up the clays.

Any ideas how to cut those holes?

Cut an upside down "V" about the size of the clay. Hang it on the V and wrap it and the clay with a rubber band.

Yeah, I forgot the name of the company, but I googled something like "zombie clay target holder" and found them; we've used them at local matches since. They have the standard sized ones as well as an enormous "zombie horde" target that holds something like 22 clays!

One of the stages last year, used a cardboard target with holes cut out so you could insert clays into them and it would hold up the clays.

Cut an upside down "V" about the size of the clay. Hang it on the V and wrap it and the clay with a rubber band.

Thanks. But my club already has metal stands like that. I want a cardboard IPSC target holding like 4-5 clays in a compact sized target.

Thanks. But my club already has metal stands like that. I want a cardboard IPSC target holding like 4-5 clays in a compact sized target.

I am talking about a cardboard target...

Okay, here's the source for the FNH targets: http://zombieindustries.com/shop/category/outbreak-skeet-holding-targets/. They run about six bucks a pop.

I also agree that you could likely get the same effect with a stack of standard cardboard IDPA/USPSA/IPSC targets and a hole saw of the correct size. The secret is that you want the hole to be the size of the raised inner portion of the clay target, not the outer diameter; my guess is that's 3.5" on a 4" clay pigeon. Then you just sort of "screw" the clay into the hole and it stays pretty well. If you are making your own, you could cut smaller holes to use for midis and minis, too, which would be interesting...

home depot

Milwaukee hole saw 3 1/2" i think

stack 5-6 targets and drill three holes with about a 2 inch space between and then staple each target WHITE SIDE OUT to a target stand.

place 40-50 yards away, all missed shots are no shoot hits, when the card board wheres out move one down. should last about 60 -70 shooters.

• 3 weeks later...

I used this idea at the last Yuma 3 Gun match and it work out great. The clays hold tight in the card board and you can shoot all around the cardboard(which alot of people did) and they hold strong. Great idea!!

Not sure of your purpose, but if it is for rifle, Clayoreos are cheap, easy and a whole lot nicer to the shooter.

You use half the amount of clays, don't need rubber bands or duct tape to hang the clays. Not all ranges have sandy soil to fill the clays with either. Peacemaker has a lot of clay, it's not condusive or clayoreo making.

A 40 pound bag of sandbox sand will last for an entire match of a few hundred people...for about $3. By far the best close range rifle target yet.

... then staple each target WHITE SIDE OUT to a target stand. place 40-50 yards away, all missed shots are no shoot hits, ...

Making the cardboard target a no-shoot is a bad idea. Without a clear and intact border, how can you fairly assess NS penalties?

• 4 weeks later...

We tried this at a local match. The clays just got holes poked in them and were hard to reset. Maybe we were doing it wrong, but an upper scoring area stapled to a no shoot worked much better.

Not sure of your purpose, but if it is for rifle, Clayoreos are cheap, easy and a whole lot nicer to the shooter.

How do you make a clayoreo?

How do you make a clayoreo?

Two clays with sand in between held closed with rubber bands. A 10" piece of duct tape folded in half with a twig, toothpick or or small finish nail at the fold. Staple to a wood saw horse. I can make about 135 in about 20 minutes. If you have everyone on a squad make enough for them to shoot (4 to 6 or so) it takes all of a minutes at the beginning of a stage. Once you shoot them as a shooter, you will start to ask for them. The instant feedback is better than any other target out there.

There is a whole thread on them, with photos: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151166&hl=%20clayoreo