Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Pocket Cleaning Questions

salemsm

Some of my newbie questions that hopefully the learned reloading community can help me with.

Are some spent primers "cleaner" than others?

What is the vote on de-prime first then clean? Does media get stuck?

Saw a U-Tube video of a guy using a screwdriver to clean. Comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMpiYtjo7pM%22%5dwww.youtube.com/watch?v=lMpiYtjo7pM

What about primer pocket cleaners (hand-held Lee, wire brush drill “bit”)? How good do they work and how long do they last?

I am hoping I can eliminate some steps and clean spent/de-primed cases but want to get everyone’s thoughts on this first.

If it is for pistol you tumble and then reload. For precision rifle where you are trying to make a 1" group at 1,000 yards you clean, measure, and perform all functions to the closest 1/1,000,000th of a degree. We all fall in middle of those two extremes at some point. I am much more careful at how I reload my hunting rounds than I am at reloading my USPSA loads, but I do not engage targets at 400 yards while shooting USPSA.

How much time do you have? If you like to have clean primer holes you can buy the really small corncob add Dillion case prep and get them clean. But, I would run them though the de-caper again.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

For hand gun use.....did try cleaning hole......I am a pensioner so I do have the time...

however it made no difference to the ammo ....or accuracy....so use the time to load more :surprise:

• 1 month later...

I ran into some really dirty, cruddy Military Range 9mm so I cleaned and deprimed it and found it OK on the looks inside and out side but many half the primer pockets ( were pretty dirty at the primer set surface. I used a screwdriver tip that was slightly undersized to the pocket and on a Porter Cable hand power driver just a quick light insert of the driver nose, touch the trigger for a split second and voila-beautifully clean primer pockets.

In retrospect I ask was it worth the effort? I suppose for rifle ammo but this was 9mm hand gun brass.

Anyway, its a possible way to easily and quickly clean primer pockets. With a light touch and a power screw driver it seems an easy task. Once I got the rhythm it was ~20 pockets a minute.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

For pistol, just tumble with spent primers still in (to keep the media out of the primer pocket) and reload.

For rifle, if you're using military brass that has to be swaged, you can tumble, deprime, swage, tumble again, and the decapping pin will knock out any media stuck in the primer pocket...but that's a pain, and overkill.