Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

The crazy thing is that when I am loading quads it seems that shells still get hung up. I took it all apart to see what I can polish and sand but I just want to make sure I don't remove any of the follower retainer. Let me know if you got any tips. Thanks!

Oscar

You left out the most important part of your port job...PATIENCE. There's a reason mine looks like a one toothed beaver did it.

I am having the same issues with loading quads. It feels like the second shell is nudging or bumping something just enough to mess up the second set of shells in my hand. It happens as the 2nd shell is about to go into the mag tube. I rounded and smoothed all of the edges I could find. My M2 quad loads like a dream but the M2 is not as opened up as my M3k. I'm thinking maybe the unwelded lifter isn't guiding the shells into the tube as smoothly since it's shorter. I'm having my lifter welded up to see if that solves the issue. It doesn't seem to be an issue when dropping deuces and doesn't happen every time with quads but it's gotta be ironed out cause I'm loving the quad load.

I think you're right that the hitch is due to the lifter getting pushed all the way down and allowing the second shell to bump the receiver. I haven't had this problem yet, and I think it may be because I only lowered the port on the right side by the same amount as the left side. (I'm also happy to load 8 in 5, so I'm moving quite a lot slower than you.) When I load the right side of the receiver keeps my hand from fully bottoming out the lifter with the second shell. If I make a conscious effort to push the shells harder into the lifter, I can bottom out the lifter and I too then feel the hitch when loading the second shell.

Do you notice the hitch when quad loading weak hand?

I agree with this I didn't take my non serial number side down as far as some others and I think if I took it down further I would be pushing that second shell into the lip at the front of the port and it would hang up. I am doing 12 in about 6.5 with about an hour and a half of practice in. A welded lifter would probably cure this .

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are right about an extended lifter preventing the "stubbing" on that face. I just run the bevel above the mag tube (between mag tube and barrel) up until that little flat face is gone instead. Granted, I am horrible at quad loading so I only run DUOs or weak hand 4, but mine doesn't hang up at all any more. I will look into a dedicated lifter for the Stoeger. That is probably the hardest part of the loading port job, so if a new lifter means I don't hafta extend that ramp any more I won't complain! :blush:

Tom

You guys are right about an extended lifter preventing the "stubbing" on that face. I just run the bevel above the mag tube (between mag tube and barrel) up until that little flat face is gone instead. Granted, I am horrible at quad loading so I only run DUOs or weak hand 4, but mine doesn't hang up at all any more. I will look into a dedicated lifter for the Stoeger. That is probably the hardest part of the loading port job, so if a new lifter means I don't hafta extend that ramp any more I won't complain! :blush:

Tom

Gotta pic? I'm not sure I'm following you on the bevel above the mag tube.

I just ordered an extended lifter from TTI. I was wondering about this, too. I have no problem with load two but in quad loading I have the same problem occasionally. I've never tried quad loading with any other shotgun, however, so I thought at first it was just my crappy technique. Sometimes it seems as if it's catching right where the mag tube meets the body internally.

Tom

Gotta pic? I'm not sure I'm following you on the bevel above the mag tube.
Jesse I think he is referring to front portion of the loading port on the inside he is beveling it but what makes it harder is the follower retainer. I think if the lifter was extended and had a slight ramp towards the end it would solve the issue.i think if you just weld up to extend it, it would help but no solve the problem fully, I think the ramp will be needed.

The fourth picture I posted on page 28 (in the first group of pics) shows what I mean pretty well. I don't push back the whole bevel between the mag tube and the barrel hole just both ends. On the left-hand receiver (in pic 4, the unmodified one) you can see the flat edge just ahead of where the lifter tip would be. On the modified receiver, you can see that the bottom of this bevel (the lowest shiny area you can see in the picture) is dressed away to remove the face entirely, 'til it is almost a dead-sharp edge. That is where mine was catching. Doesn't mean a long lifter wouldn't be even better (and like I said I don't do quads) but definitely an area that will catch if you really cut away the port opening and get deep with your shells.

Cajunfighter; I gave Dremel co. a call talked with tech support they recommended a few high speed cutting bits that would cut aluminum.

#124 high speed cutter

# 9904 Tungsten Carbide cutter

#9931 Structured tooth Tungsten carbide cutter

There web page shows a lot more including different types of polishing pads, and sanding drums., and stones.

Like your videos on the Stoeger Mods; Have a question about the bolt release video. you say the long screw Taran provides acts as a detent for the spring inside bolt release button right? Is there a existing OEM detent pin inside there were removing, or the button it self has a protruding nipple the spring connect to that were drilling out. I thought the spring just sat in there free floating ?

Cajunfighter; I gave Dremel co. a call talked with tech support they recommended a few high speed cutting bits that would cut aluminum.

#124 high speed cutter

# 9904 Tungsten Carbide cutter

#9931 Structured tooth Tungsten carbide cutter

There web page shows a lot more including different types of polishing pads, and sanding drums., and stones.

Like your videos on the Stoeger Mods; Have a question about the bolt release video. you say the long screw Taran provides acts as a detent for the spring inside bolt release button right? Is there a existing OEM detent pin inside there were removing, or the button it self has a protruding nipple the spring connect to that were drilling out. I thought the spring just sat in there free floating ?

BOOM, thanks for getting that information. Most of the burr bits for die grinders can be on the big side. As for the bolt release, there is a small detent behind the bolt release button. All it does is keep the button from depressing too much. The TTI set screww is long enough that you dont want to put it back in. The button is hollow on the inside. Hope that helps.

Hello Pat Kelley the guy who started it all LOL. Pat I got into the Stoeger stampede late, but I'm in. Would you tell us which sights you use on your shot guns .Looks like a rifle sight for the rear sight,and fiber optic front sight.Just think they would make shootnig slugs way more accurate.I was unable to get my hands on a Shooter Illustrated so I though I'd ask. Also If you wouldn"t mind sharing some dimensions you hold to for installing my own such as the depth of the rear sight and distance from the front sight. Pic's if you have any would be awesome. I can only speak for my self ,but I think everyone here would agree (THANK YOU)

As of late (and on the M3000 in the article) I use a XS rear that is built to be installed in vent ribs. The ones I bought came in a 3 pack with 3 heights.

For fronts, I either use a HiViz 3/8" dovetail rifle sight or a Caspian .330x60* pistol sight. This depends on height need to accommodate slug impact and stock fit set-up.

I don't like the factory bead on any hard use shotgun. I tend to break them.

Boom and who ever else wants to watch how I go about opening a loading port on a shotgun. My M3000 has already been opened by myself but I wanted to fine tune it and upload to show you guys how i do it. So here you are. A little long but if you want to learn watch the video. Fast Forward to the end to see the final result.

Edited by Oskino

Is there an easy way to put the cotter pin back on the pin that holds the bolt catch in the gun? Do you put cotter pin in place and push pin thru it or put pin in gun and then put the cotter pin on?

Is there an easy way to put the cotter pin back on the pin that holds the bolt catch in the gun? Do you put cotter pin in place and push pin thru it or put pin in gun and then put the cotter pin on?

Amr place the retainer in the little slot then install the cotter pin you will have to tap the cotter pin in to get past the little retainer and then you should be good to go.

Thank you sir! Just got all my MOA precision parts and my loading port done so time to reassemble! The guys at MOA are top notch, they were able to fit my parts in a smaller postage box so actual shipping costs were less than billed and they sent a refund check for the difference! Nice to deal with people who are that honest

Thanks Oskino ;Good video with lots of close up of the loading port, very nice. you make it look easy enough.

Thanks P E Kelley ;I thought you were using some type Ruger 22 rifle rear sight with a dove tail cut into the bridge.

Got my M3000 put together this morning. I didn't get nearly as deep on the loading port as most on this thread. I just filed it down and rounded it off enough to make loading two possible. Up to this point I'm not coordinated enough to quad load anyway. Thanks to Tom at MOA Precision for getting the magazine parts to me quickly. The barrel nut fit perfectly. Thanks to everyone else for the pictures and videos to show what needed to be done. Now just have to find time to take it to a match. Later, JC.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

nice work Oskino.

Thank you Sir!!

Thanks Oskino ;Good video with lots of close up of the loading port, very nice. you make it look easy enough.

Thanks P E Kelley ;I thought you were using some type Ruger 22 rifle rear sight with a dove tail cut into the bridge.

NP man, here is a vdeo of the first shots thru my M3000.:)

I love that you have your kids with you while you are trying out the new shotgun! Sounds like at least 2? My 12 year old son shoots 3gun with me, and I do archery with my 9 year old. Got two more boys coming up after them! My daughter is a teenager now, so I am too embarrassing to spend time with :( Family sports are AWESOME!

Here is a youtube of my son practicing 3gun-