Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Czechmate

gator098

FedEx shows my Czechmate is going to arrive tomorrow. I have been researching loads for it and have all the components except powder. Does anyone know of a place in or around Tucson that would have Autocomp, HS6, or Shillouette that I could buy, beg, borrow, or barter for?

Man that is really exciting! I've got a poor man's CM (converted TS) that I'm going to start working up a load for using HS6 (that seems like the best candidate to make major with our short OAL) and a Montana Gold 124 grain CMJ, but I'd love to see what everyone else says; I'm subscribing to this thread...

Daniel

Do you remember the amount of 3N37 you started at?

I drove all over town and got lucky. 2nd A didnt have any powder last week and said they didn't know of any coming in. But I went back anyway and they had a few lbs of 296 and two lbs of 3N37. It isn't a powder I was planning on ever testing, but in these times... I know it isn't one of the more popular for CZ short 9 major but saw a few people had tried it and it was far better than not having any powder. Someone posted they used 7.5 gr with 124s but didn't put OAL. Does 7gr sound like a good place to start? Or should I go lower?

If anyone knows of WAC or HS6, please gimme a shout. I'm still looking.

Thanks all

gator098

I've been shooting SP2 for some time: Montana Gold 124CMJ's over 7.6 grains loaded to 1.120. It's performance is head and shoulders above anything else. I'm down to my last three pounds of that great powder and have absolutely no idea of where to score any more. Most likely, I will probably go back to VV3n37...although I did try SR7625 with reasonable success.

A-G

BTW: Ask kneelingatlas how he likes SP2

Edited by All-Gator

How short are you loading. I would start around 6.5 and go up. It is easy to bump the powder up, but it could be hard to put the gun back together if you start out too high.

Like euxx, I like the longshot load (not a whole lot of difference in feel for me) but the autocomp was noticeably cleaner. And you can use a little less autocomp for the same PF (for me) so a lbs goes a little further.

My notes also said that the 3n37 really heats the gun up. Not necessarily a bad thing just something I noticed.

Good luck

Edited by DRichardson

BTW: Ask kneelingatlas how he likes SP2

Mr. Gator graciously provided me a box of his loads for testing and they are are very soft and very accurate:

P1000767_zpsebc68834.jpg

I have precious few rounds left, which I shoot two at a time to test out different comps. Thanks again.

Well it is here and it is beautiful. I just finished putting it into Open format. I have obviously only gotten to dry fire it but WOW. The trigger is almost as perfect as the one on my CTS.

My CZ stable is almost complete now. Just gotta get a 97 but not in a rush. Gotta knock the new off this one first.

Atlas

That is a hell of a group. Nice looking DIY gun. I might have gone that route if I had any talent but since I don't.........

That was just the beginning, this is what it looks like now:

IMG_20130206_190952_436_zps4669d807.jpg

I just got set up to start loading 9mm, so I still need to play with loads and comps (I have 7 at this point!).

SP2 is a Vectan powder...part of Nobel...and manufactured in France (I think.) They stopped importing it some time back although I don't know why. I think it still is imported to Canada, but not really sure about that either. Damn stuff is better than sliced bread!

A-G

BTW: I was having some problems with the second shot of a double tap being high. Usually I would put in a stronger recoil spring to bring it down, but, this time I bumped up the charge to 7.8 grains for more gas volume at the comp. It's flat again. No undue pressure signs, but got no idea how much it raised the power factor.

Edited by All-Gator

You are correct. It IS manufactured in France by Nobel Sport. I use 8.2 Grains of SP2 with a thickly plated South African 124gr Frontier bullet in my Open Glock.

In the Official Vectan Charge tables there is a 147gr FMJ load. It is 6.5 grains of SP2. It makes 1198 fps according to them. That is a major calibre load for I.P.S.C within normal 9mm Luger pressures, albeit right at the top.

It is an excellent powder for 9mm major.

Edited by malagamarksman