Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 or 125 in 9mm

jsharum

Just ordered 125 gr bullets from BBI. After reading some threads on accuracy from the FS M&P 9 I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 147's. Anyone have suggestions or experience with both weights?

Edited by jsharum

Hi there,

I shoot both 125 and 147 grain bullets in open class ,

I find the 147,s have a better feel to them, more of a push than a muzzle flip.

Also you can use less powder ,thats important here in Europe as there is hardly any about....

Hope this helps,

Malcolm.

I have over 5000 of each through my FS M&P. Terrible groups from the 125's. But then I am slow witted. Otherwise why would it take 5K for me to figure out it wasn't my grip, sight picture, sight adjustment, weather, moon phase, etc. Finally while practicing for a classifier that had a target at 35 or 40 yards I went from 2 out of 6 on paper with 125"s to 5 A's and one C with 147's. Slow aimed freestyle. Made a believer out of me.

With the KKM barrel, the best groups I have gotten have been with the 125 HAPs. The 147 Zeros are softer shooting, but the accuracy was just a tad worse.

I've shot 95s to 160s in the 9mm M&Ps and from 115 to 147, there just is not that much difference at 135 PF. If the 147s shoot fine for you, no reason to worry or switch.

If you spend a little time and get a good load and then just go with it, you will be way ahead of the folks who tinker with loads trying to get a "little" better performance.

I have over 5000 of each through my FS M&P. Terrible groups from the 125's. But then I am slow witted. Otherwise why would it take 5K for me to figure out it wasn't my grip, sight picture, sight adjustment, weather, moon phase, etc. Finally while practicing for a classifier that had a target at 35 or 40 yards I went from 2 out of 6 on paper with 125"s to 5 A's and one C with 147's. Slow aimed freestyle. Made a believer out of me.

i have realized the same thing. 125's were ok at 50 feet. anything over that and it spread out quite a bit. I got some 147gr and tested them and the groups shank and stayed consistant out to 30 yards.

now i dont have this problem with my other 9's. they shoot both 124/5's and 147 the same. So just to keep consistantcy, i just buy 147 grain molys and be done with it

124gr because I get about 700 more of them in a case. Plus my range bag is lighter. :) I can put all my shots in an 8" circle at 25 yards and that's all I care about (for IDPA). Storm Lake barrel.

• 4 weeks later...

In my circle of friends running 9mm M&Ps about 8 of 10 guys run the 147 gr bullets. One guy swears that his Pro runs tighter groups with light 115s pushed fast. The final guys is agnostic, shoots whatever is on sale or available.

Just ordered 125 gr bullets from BBI. After reading some threads on accuracy from the FS M&P 9 I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 147's. Anyone have suggestions or experience with both weights?

My M&P 40 Pro 5" with a KKM 40/9mm conversion barrel LOVES 125 JHP's! The most accurate bullet weight I've tried yet.

My M&P seems to like the 124gr MGs better. At 10 yards there's little difference, but the groups are quite a bit smaller at 20 yards with the 124gr than the 147gr plated I have. Maybe mine is a "plated vs. jacked" issue...dunno?