Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cost to upgrade?

trlloyd

I am looking at getting a Benelli M2 Field with a 21" barrel. What would it require to make it more 3 gun ready?

If I could only afford to do mods over time, what would be recommended first, second, ...?

Thanks

Roughly $1000 for the work and everything you need.

Tube first

Bolt handle

Bolt release

Low drag follower

Sights

Then lighten bolt

Out of battery load mod

Ghost load mod

Poa/poi correction

Most of that could be done a little at a time. The work would all need to be done together.

I'll desent. Tube and done. Some would say I have experience in shot gunning and I have never had a problem with non welded lifters. If you do, it is a must have. Bolt lighten... Needed? Nope. Oversize bolt handle? Nope. Sights? Nice but required? Nope. Buy a new m2 and must put $1000 into it??? F no! Half the field at any three gun event will be passed by a good pump gunner, who's auto loader has ALL the "must have" mods! "We" are doing a disservice to the new guys and the sport when we say got to spend to play.

I agree with Pat, this is my second 3Gun season and after I purchased my M2, on Pats recommendation, the only thing that I have done is spend around $180 on an RCI tube replacement. I have been competitive and have not found myself to be at a disadvantage without all the extra mods. I would rather use the extra cash for practice ammo.

I don't like the extended charging handle or bolt release. I added the Nordic tube/spring/follower and had C-Rum do the lifter weld. I also had Grundhauser Gun Works add a flip up 10-22 sight that has come in handy on some of the long range slug steel. Everything else I did myself with the help of a set of files, polishing bit on a dremel, a soldering iron, and copious amounts of liquid patience enhancer. And voila', a workable 3-gun shotgun that has not slowed me down too much. If I don't place very high in shotgun stages, I would like to blame my shotgun, but the honest truth would place the blame squarely on my shoulders.

What does welding the lifter do? Of the mods listed, am I able to do any of them?

How is a poa / poi mod completed?

You can do most the mods yourself (putting on the tube, extended handle, extended release, etc.). Opening up the feeding area can be done but you have to be comfortable with using the tools and doing some filing on your receiver. Welding the lifter is best left to an expert since it's not just welding, but getting it set right and angled right. Jeff is the man when it comes to that. Seriously, I have seen so many thumbs torn up by the fork that manufacturers put in there that it is not funny, including mine. I thought I broke my thumb one time and after that, I sent all my lifters to my gunsmith and one to Jeff. If you do nothing else, at least get the tube installed and lifter welded. Do some people load quickly without it welded? Very few. Do a lot get their thumbs torn up without it? Yes, a lot. And it's only $45 ...come on, that's not a huge investment when you consider everything.

What does welding the lifter do? Of the mods listed, am I able to do any of them?

Most lifters on semi auto shotguns are shaped like a two prong fork. Some are worse than others, with the Versamax perhaps being the worst. It is not difficult to train yourself to load in such a way that you do not catch your thumb in the lifter, I ran my first VMT for a full season unmodified and had no problems. However, one mistake, one attempt at trying to go a little faster than your technique allows, and your thumb pays the price big time.

When I got my second VMT I had Triangle Shooting Sports do some work on it to include welding the lifter. It's just a little peace of mind knowing that an error in technique isn't going to result in your thumbnail being torn up, or off.

Necessary? No. A good idea, most likely.

Look at it this way, you just showed clear on the second stage of a match, with half your thumbnail hanging off your thumb and blood dripping all over everything, and four more stages to go! At this point you'd gladly pay $50 to have your thumb put pack together. It's cheap insurance against a lot of potential pain and inconvenience.

I'll desent. Tube and done. Some would say I have experience in shot gunning and I have never had a problem with non welded lifters. If you do, it is a must have. Bolt lighten... Needed? Nope. Oversize bolt handle? Nope. Sights? Nice but required? Nope. Buy a new m2 and must put $1000 into it??? F no! Half the field at any three gun event will be passed by a good pump gunner, who's auto loader has ALL the "must have" mods! "We" are doing a disservice to the new guys and the sport when we say got to spend to play.

There are always going to be guys like this one who shoot a few local matches with their squirrel guns and get a couple pair of cargo pants and think they are pros all of a sudden.

Disregard his comments and buy all the stuff I mentioned. Listen to me, I've shot one major match and am signed up for a second. I know what I'm talking about.

WhoTF is Pat Kelley anyway???

Why hasn't anyone mentioned reducing the shell stop tension ?

that should be in the top three must do list

1st add a long mag tube

2nd adjust the shell stop for less resistense

3rd bevel loading port

anything else added to this list should depend on personal preference

such as sights, trigger, lifter extension,bolt lightening, etc.

I have to agree with Pat 100%

I have to agree with the P.E. Kelley fellow, whomever he is. You only need a longer tube for the gun to be competitive. I personally don't like extended bolt handles, safeties, etc. My old Benelli M1 has had a little loading port work, a Nordic tube and follower, and a longer fiber front sight. It works for me.

Hurley

I agree with only adding a extended tube, first and stopping. Personally I haven't been bitten by a Benelli lifter, but have all of mine welded up because for $45.00 plus shipping its cheap insurance. That is all you need on a Benelli. Now I did end up adding a Extended Bolt Handle, Larger bolt release button, low drag follower. None of this is really needed though. I think out if the box the Benelli needs the least and runs the best.

The gun I am running right now is a 24" M2 with a +6 Nordic extension and a welded lifter. NOTHING ELSE HAS BEEN DONE TO THE GUN!I No porting, no bolt handle, no nothing and I am not that slow with it.

Bunch of turkey hunters stumbled into the wrong forum. I bet they aren't tacticool enough to wear a knife in a kydex sheath on their necklace during the match.

I had all of the things that I listed done to my shotty and if I had to do it all over again I would do it the same way. Are they all necessary, no. Do the all help ME, absolutely. Could Pat or Kurt beat me in a shotgun match with a stock 870, absolutely again.

To each his own.